Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieira to Real?

• 13-07-2004 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Speculation? I hope so!

Apparently there will be "talks" held tomorrow to discuss terms etc. Talk of Beckham moving the other way :eek:

Lies! Hopefully :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

wont happen, arsenal aren't stupid and they won't let go of their keystone no matter how much cash is involved.

no point in selling the best if you cant buy their replacements any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by smemon
    wont happen, arsenal aren't stupid and they won't let go of their keystone no matter how much cash is involved.

no point in selling the best if you cant buy their replacements any better.

Yeah. Arsenal wont want to let him go.

But what you gonna do if he wants to go? Have an Unhappy Captain??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by Axel
    Yeah. Arsenal wont want to let him go.

But what you gonna do if he wants to go? Have an Unhappy Captain??

vieira isnt stupid either, he wont go to an unsettled side that is under pressure to perform ie... chelsea or madrid.

if arsenal win the champs league he might move on, not before that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

this is just pure speculation , just the same as Nistelrooy to Madrid .

from his interviews with Sky u can see he is happy at Arsenal and in London .

Wenger is too clever to buy a player like Beckham , even sujesting the thing insults his intelligence .

Madrid need a defensive minded midfielder .......but they aint gonna get Viera .

unless you're talking about the Portugeuse Viera , they'd get him no problem :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Axel
    Speculation? I hope so!

Apparently there will be "talks" held tomorrow to discuss terms etc. Talk of Beckham moving the other way :eek:

Lies! Hopefully :)
    It doesn,t take a genius to figure out that Real would be interested in Viera. They sold their best defensive Midfileder to chelski and paid the price last season. As we have seen in the past when they want their man they usually get him. As for Beckham coming ther other way that wouldn't surprise me but obviously he would not be a replacement for Viera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by smemon
    vieira isnt stupid either, he wont go to an unsettled side that is under pressure to perform ie... chelsea or madrid.

if arsenal win the champs league he might move on, not before that though.

The man talks sense and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

The respective 1st and 2nd signs of the apocalypse........ :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Although it might explain why wenger is waiting till october before discussing his future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It would be a really scary thought of having Vieira in the Real Madrid Squad, it would make them really chalange for the top spot this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Oh sweet mother of... not this nonsense again, and again and again.

Does nobody here know how the media works? It's close season, there's no footy to report, agents need to make a living so they phone up some hack at a tabloid and give him an 'exclusive'about how Viera is thinking of leaving Arsenal. That way his wages may get bid up and with it the agent's slice of the commission.

All it takes is an extremely gullible public.

Happens every bloody summer. Especially with Viera. Check out Dustaz' comment in one of the posts above. Something along the lines of 'I've been reading this story for the past two years.' And that was in 2002!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

The Prez who got re-elected said he plans to buy the best players in the world and Viera is one of the best players in the world, so i wouldnt rule out a bid for Viera for Madrid but i cant see Arsenal selling unless Viera wonts to go. Also Viera's agent said He is flattered madrid think he is one of the best players in the worlds and that Madrid should get in contact with Arsenal.....it was something like anyway.

I wouldnt say its pie in the sky stuff from the papers but i dont think Viera is in talks with Madrid at the moment.

• Advertisement

I think you answered that question youself earlier. The realisation that Viera has won a couple of premiership medals now and his thoughts must be turning to Champions League success. The question is can he achieve that at Arsenal or will he need to move to realise his ambitions?
    Originally posted by PHB

It would be a really scary thought of having Vieira in the Real Madrid Squad, it would make them really chalange for the top spot this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I think you answered that question youself earlier. The realisation that Viera has won a couple of premiership medals now and his thoughts must be turning to Champions League success. The question is can he achieve that at Arsenal or will he need to move to realise his ambitions?

Hardly. That report is media speculation on the comments of Freddie Ljungberg, who in turn was commenting on media speculation. How far removed from the involved parties can you get?

replacing the name freddie Ljunberg with fans .

would be further :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

He wont join them. Last year he said that he was glad to have turned them down after the way they treated claude makelele.

There is no smoke without fire

Besides he hasnt denied it has he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Latest news-
    Real Madrid coach Jose Antonio Camacho has said Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira is not one of his top transfer targets.

Madrid chairman Florentino Perez has admitted his interest in Vieira and been linked with a £30m offer for the France international midfielder.

But Camacho says Porto defender Ricardo Carvalho and Roma's Brazil midfielder Emerson are his favoured targets.

On another related subject does anyone think that Wenger might be reading himself to replce Sven after 2006 WC? He has one year on the contract and has'nt been in any rush to extend it...just a thought!

Mike.

There is a ****load of smoke without fire, lets not be stupid :) Im just wondering why Arsenal havn't come out shouting, and why the **** Lnunberg has said he wants Vieira to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by PHB
    Im just wondering why Arsenal havn't come out shouting
    Its only more food for the media TBH.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Its only more food for the media TBH.

Its not only arsenal I would expect to deny this rumour but the player himself . When Ruud was liked with a similar move earlier this summer he issued a statement stating he was staying at United which killed the story. To date paddy has been very quiet . If he had said he was not moving it would be end of story so why is he not denying it ?

We've all heard the rumours that Viera has told wenger he wants to go. Arsenal have told him they do not want to sell but if he is going they want to get as much as possible for him, 29 million is the figure I read.

Again thats all rumour and speculation but the story has been gathereing momentum over the last week, A simple statement from the player could have put an end to it but that has not been issued . I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Heard on the radio today that Morientes might be going in the other direction as part of the deal :D

If Veira goes, Arsenal can say good bye to mounting any sort of title challenge this season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Apparently, Vieira is away on holidays.

He should still say something though, perhaps he hasn't realised the level of media speculation going on in England and Spain currently, or perhaps its true.

Perez who cried wolf...

A simple statement from the player could have put an end to it but that has not been issued . I wonder why?

it didnt end speculation as to Nistelrooy's transfer until he said it 5 or 6 times .

I dont think Viera is gonna denounce the rumours that much just to get the media to sut up .

Im sure its not affecting anyone at Arsenal including Freddie Ljunberg .

Originally posted by kaids
    Apparently, Vieira is away on holidays.......................

Not according to his agent.
    Vieira's advisor Steve Kutner said: 'Patrick was in this country yesterday for a two hour meeting with me. The meeting was private and the content of it is private.'

The plot thickens.

Not according to his agent.

The plot thickens.

probably because agents get a lot of money from players moving and the agent wants to make as much money as possible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

And now suprise suprise Chelsea have joined the race, though the article is taken from The Sun. It seems like a story rehashed from last summer.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004330424,00.html

If vieira was to move, I can't see it being to Chelsea.
    The only reason he'd want to move is to try and win teh CL and theres no way Chelsea have a better chance than Arsenal do at it

Wenger just rubbished the rumours in an interview after the Barnet friendly. He said there had been no bid from Madrid, he didn't want to sell Vieira and that he could reject a 20 or 30 million pound bid.

On the game itself, it finished 10-1 to Arsenal with 3 for Reyes, 3 for Jeffers, 2 for Bergkamp, 1 for Van Persie and 1 for Owusu-Abeyie. Van Persie set up a couple of the goals. Chelsea meanwhile drew 1-1 with Oxford (Kezman scored), while Spurs lost 1-0 to FC Trollhatan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tthis is a good piece about Viera and Madrid plus several other transfer stories.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-1181448,00.html

Mike.

• Advertisement

I still think its a load of rumours but more and more stuff tends to support it.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,40-1143722,00.html
    he didn't want to sell Vieira and that he could reject a 20 or 30 million pound bid.

Why not say no price would be acceptable, pushing up the price?
    Still have to see it to believe it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I saw the Wenger interview on Sky Sports News.

What he basically said was that if Vieria wants to stay with Arsenal, then they wont sell him for any price - but if he does want to leave and a good offer comes in, then they would let him go. He hasnt spoken to Vieria yet, but no offer has been made for him.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    I saw the Wenger interview on Sky Sports News.

What he basically said was that if Vieria wants to stay with Arsenal, then they wont sell him for any price - but if he does want to leave and a good offer comes in, then they would let him go. He hasnt spoken to Vieria yet, but no offer has been made for him.

This is one of those transfers that nobody believes will actually happen, (campbell to Arsenal, Zidan to Real) but because of the lack of a denial from the player we can be pretty sure that there is substance to these reports . Whether he goes ahead and moves or does a Gerrard an pulls out remains to be seen but the more I read from the different parties involved it does look incresingly likely that he will move.

If it does happen Arsenal are then linked with gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Jeffers? Wow, I thought they were well shot of him.

As for the story, that article mike65 linked is pretty much the nail on the head.

Viera has insisted right up util his holiday that he is happy at arsenal and doesnt want to leave. Then he goes on holiday to the US and while he is away the UK tabloids and Madrid decide to start the storm.

Wait til Viera comes back to see what the story is, for now I think its a cross between the tabloids trying to sell papers and the Madrid hierarcy trying to unsettle the player.

IMHO the lure of Real has lessed these past two years as money has been shown not to be all conquering.

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    If it does happen Arsenal are then linked with gerrard

Theres not a hope in hell of that happening , If he was going anywhere he would have taken the hugh money Chelsea offered him a few weeks ago , there's no way Arsenal could match Chelseas terms but Gerrad couldn't make the break from Anfield,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

...but because of the lack of a denial from the player we can be pretty sure that there is substance to these reports.

That's your logic Muppet? So, if I was to put a post up here tomorrow morning saying... Gary Neville to Barcelona, for example, and Gary Neville himself doesn't bother coming the whole way to Boards.ie, registering an account and personally dismissing my report, then there must be substance to it? Of course, I'm exaggerating a little here, but the mirror's record this summer speaks for itself. Plus, the man himself is on holiday. Do you think he keeps a Mirror journalist in his suitcase or something?

I suggest you read this article for a bit of perspective:
    http://www.football365.com/opinion/f365_opinion/story_119400.shtml

...particularly the previous quotes from Viera himself:
    "It's like this every summer. People say I am going to Italy, going to Spain. But soon I am having pre-season with the club. Every year I enjoy myself at Arsenal. I just have to look around me. When you have Henry, Bergkamp, Campbell, Cole and the rest of the guys, I don't want to go anywhere else. And I know we have the quality to win trophies - including the Champions League."
    "I had an offer through Arsenal to go to Madrid and, when they come in, you have to think about it, look what is going on. But I am really proud of the decision I made because it wasn't for money. Maybe in football, people are not used to players saying: 'I'm happy, I don't need to go for the money'."
    "I will never leave Arsenal."

But, of course, the Mirror disagree, and they must be right, yeah?

but because of the lack of a denial from the player we can be pretty sure that there is substance to these reports.
    When a player comes out to a press conference saying he is totally comitted to the club I would be 90% sure he was thinking of leaving at some point. Vieira is doing the right thing (assuming there is no truth to this). The speculation is obviously not bothering him and if he doesn't say a word to the press and just gets on with his football it makes the Mirror look like bigger fools and they'll think twice about doing it again. As I said that is only if there is no truth about him considering leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Last week Real Madrid offered Arsenal €30M plus a choice of Portillo or Morientes for Vieira - the payment to be made over four years.

Arsenal have asked for €42M, they have also opened negotiations with Barcelona but for a substantially lower fee (€15M plus players).

Representatives of Vieira are meeting with Real Madrid today and tomorrow.

I'll post the conspiracy theory I've been told about this later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by Bannor
    I'll post the conspiracy theory I've been told about this later.

It wouldn't happen to be anything to do with a rumour that Viera and Henry are feeling a strain in their relationship ... I was listening to NewsTalk last night & the reasons why Viera might leave were discussed, with that point give as 1 possible :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    It wouldn't happen to be anything to do with a rumour that Viera and Henry are feeling a strain in their relationship ... I was listening to NewsTalk last night & the reasons why Viera might leave were discussed, with that point give as 1 possible :confused:
    There is a strain in their relationship - during Euro 2004, Zidane was tapping up Vieira (allegedly). Henry had a go at Vieira and told him that he was going to inform the Arsenal hierarchy. Vieira's response was "Go ahead run to Dein like you always do".

After Euro 2004, Vieira initiated contact with Real Madrid regarding a possible move when he asked his agent Steve Kuttner to talk to the club. Vieira has a very strained relationship with David Dein - he doesn't think that Dein treats the players with the respect they deserve, particularly the foreign players. He resents Henry because Henry is alway singled out for special treatment by Dein. Apparently Dein goes out of the way to make sure that everything is rosey for Henry. This is the reason why Henry is so happy at Arsenal and won't consider leaving.

Vieira is good friends with Wenger but now he wants European success, which Real can offer him. Vieira's attitude is that there is nothing left in the domestic competitions in England to challenge him. Wenger thinks that the physical aspect of the Premiership is a hinderance to English clubs in the Champions League and agrees with Vieira that if he wants to be challenging for the Champions League then Real are the best option for him. Wenger is looking to rebuild Arsenal as a younger team which can dominate the Premiership and challenge in Europe - the sale of Vieira would go some way to giving him the money to do that.

Prior to the appointment of Queiroz as a temporary filler in the position of manager, representatives of Real Madrid spoke to Wenger about becoming manager of the club. Wenger refused to break his contract with Arsenal but told Perez he would be available for the 2005/6. At the time it was believed that Perez wanted Wenger because he could bring Vieira and Henry to the club. Wenger has refused to start negotiating on a long term contract with Arsenal and has told the board that he is a man of his word and if they don't want to take him at his word then a contract with him is worth nothing - Dein isn't happy with that. He suspects that Wenger is going to jump ship at the end of this season to join Real Madrid, if he's right then he doesn't want Vieira being there before him. That's why Vieira has been offered to Barcelona, but they can't afford the fee.

Real's latest offer is €35M.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

some of us are behind firewalls, whats it say?!? ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has conceded that the fight to keep Patrick Vieira out of the clutches of Real Madrid is out of his hands.

Real are trying to lure Vieira away from Highbury as they look to continue their policy of buying all the top players in the world.

Wenger has admitted that he is powerless to stop Vieira leaving for El Santiago Bernanbeu.

"I have been speaking to Patrick regularly but we have now reached a situation where I cannot do any more," said Wenger.

"I cannot tell you what he has said because then the players would lose confidence in me. But I cannot decide for Patrick. He has a three-year contract and it was his decision to extend that deal last year. So I don't need to persuade him of anything.

"All this uncertainty is not unsettling for the club because we only concentrate on the things we can influence. What is important is the players who play for our club, not what other people outside might be saying about us.

"Real Madrid have told us that they have never approached the player. I believe that there's a lot of agents trying to make a lot of money.

"Patrick has three years left on his contract and we do not need the money."

Real have increased the pressure on Arsenal insisting they want to complete any deal before the UEFA Champions League qualifying deadline of August 5.

Real director of sport Emilio Butragueno revealed they want to have Vieira on board by the time they play their Champions League qualifier.

"We want to have some good news by August 5," said Butragueno. "We are approaching the qualifying round of the Champions League and we want to complete the signing by then."

Meanwhile, Arsenal have been linked with a move for Portugal's Euro 2004 star Maniche as a replacement for Vieira should he leave for Spain.

Maniche was arguably Portugal's best player at Euro 2004 and his performances have not gone unnoticed.

Wenger is thought to rate the Porto man very highly and sees him as the ideal candidate to fill the void should Vieira leave Highbury.

He's gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

rubbish :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Until I see him in a Real Madrid shirt I will not believe it. As far as I am concerned this is tabloid fuelled rubbish.

Apparantly he wanted to move to Shel's but they aren't interested in him.;)

Vieira’s not coming to Shelbourne,
    He’s talking to Real Madrid,
    For with Stewie and Jim,
    There’d be no place for him
    And he’d only be sub if he did.

Demanding a hefty wage packet.
    The way our game’s played
    He has said he’s afraid
    That he wouldn’t be able to hack it.

He’s now on the slippery slope,
    He doesn’t need tension
    While earning his pension,
    Or teams with ambition and hope.

Although he made cautious approaches,
    He wasn’t committed
    And later admitted
    He hasn’t a clue who our coach is.

And we have no reason to doubt him,
    But our dreams are not wrecked,
    For with all due respect,
    We are doing quite nicely without him.

Which couldn’t have worked out much fairer.
    He’ll be left scratching,
    Inertia is catching,
    For Shels won’t be going to Viera.

My question is why hasn't Vieira just come out and said "I ain't moving go away!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

because he's been on holidays for the entirety of this!

Perhaps because he hasn't decided what he is going to do yet.

Originally posted by PHB
    My question is why hasn't Vieira just come out and said "I ain't moving go away!"

He's obviously seriously considering moving , whether he does or not is anyones guess. There will have to be movement in this story over the next two weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement