Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieira to Real?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

So he has joined the squad - so why no statement about staying?? Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why should he give a statement? If he hasn't been approached by Madrid the speculation doesn't seem to be bothering him. As I said earlier, if he did come out saying he was totally committed to Arsenal at this late stage, I would definitely think he was considering leaving at some stage. Speculation happens every day in football and maybe Vieira is fed up filling the back pages with his denial's.

I actually do now think he is considering leaving. Wenger shouldn't be saying what he is saying to the media:

“I’ll talk to him tomorrow and the day after tomorrow”

This is what Vieira said the media this morning:

“I am sorry,” said Vieira. “I can not speak. This is not the right moment. I can not talk about Real Madrid. Leave me. Don’t do this.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well he's reacted angrily and not commented on madrid, if he's got nothing to hide why all the silence and no comments?

theres obviously something happening, gilberto even said he doesnt know whats going on. clearly with arsenal interested in maniche, vieira's future will remain in doubt.

its a shambles at the minute, the media are selling vieira to madrid. plus zidane, beckham all throwing coal onto the fire. its an awful way of getting a player if it does happen. plus madrid usually sign one big name during the summer, vieira could be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOl smemon you sure your not a closet Arsenal supporter you seem to spend more time and energy in threads about the gooners :)

As for this until Real make an official approach its a non story. As for Arsenal being in a shambles jesus please stop with the amatuer dramatics please. So far Arsenal have handled this quite properly as usual its the feeding frenzy because of a quiet off season in the tabloids thats driving this.

no, i never said arsenal were in a shambles, i just said the whole vieira thing is a shambles, its been handled poorly by the media and also arsenal.

if arsenal and vieira have nothing to hide, why not just deny it rather than let it get to the fans and also the players?????????????

at first i thought here we go again, this old nonsense but thats not the case this year. wenger wasnt convinving about vieira staying and vieira doesnt usually let the pressure get to him. vieira was basically asked are you going to madrid, and he wouldnt comment. now how suspicious is that? it would have taken a simple 'no' or 'its all rubbish' to clear things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by smemon
    it would have taken a simple 'no' or 'its all rubbish' to clear things up.

Do you remember Beckhams transfer at all??

As Shakesphere would say "Methinks the smemon doth protest too much...." go on admit it you have a pair of gooner boxer shorts on ;)

Until there is an offical approach by Real Madrid all this "shambles" is nothing more than a sub standard journalist working for the tabloids bad wet dream!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Axel
    Do you remember Beckhams transfer at all??

exactly, no comment until he arrives in madrid wearing a madrid jersey signing a contract.

if he's going, then fine, i'll understand the silence, but if he's staying its a stupid thing to do and arsenal and vieira arsen't considering what damage this can do.

as for my boxers, theyre utd through and through! i wouldnt like to see him leave england but it would be great news for utd if he did.

madrid are not the side to go to though, they have maybe another season in them but that side will fall on its face in the next few years.

Oh I agree I would not like to see him go but Arsenal are far more than a one man team. I would be more worried if Henry were prised away.

Vieira is an excellent player probably the best in his position in the world but if Real make an approach it will be for alot of money and I expect Arsenal to replace him with a quality player like Maniche who impressed me loads during Euro 2004.

But until Real show their cards this is all idle speculation. I'm more worried about Wenger's long term future with Arsenal than Vieira anyway he still hasn't extended his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ya see, I think once Vieira leaves, Wenger will go, and thus the rest of the french contingent.

I still amn't sure that Vieira would leave, and I can't decide if its a good or bad thing.

On the one hand I do think it would take a lot away from Arsenal, and seriously diminish any chance at all in Europe.
    However I think it would make Real Madrid a scary scary side, especially now that they have a defence.

Originally posted by PHB
    Ya see, I think once Vieira leaves, Wenger will go, and thus the rest of the french contingent.

:rolleyes:

Yeah i'll believe that when i see it. Players come and go. We'll get a replacement. Vieira's loss....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sure you will get replacements, and damm good ones too, since if the French contingent were to leave ARsenal would have so much money that they could buy anyone else :)

Originally posted by PHB
    I'm sure you will get replacements, and damm good ones too, since if the French contingent were to leave ARsenal would have so much money that they could buy anyone else :)

If the "French contingent" do leave as a result of Vieria leaving they'll need their heads examined.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Viera's refusal to deny the story speaks volumes. He's off, I'd bet my kidneys on it.

He won't be a big loss though. Wenger could do miracles with €30million. Sure, they won't get a defensive midfielder of his quality, but then, they don't really need to. Their squad is incredibly strong as it is, and a player even approaching Viera's skills will see them challenge for the league. And then there's the possibility of even more signings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Viera wont leave if Real dont break the £50 million mark .

or a lesser fee plus players .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

7:41pm (UK)
    Vieira's the Real Deal - Report

By PA International staff

Real Madrid have agreed terms with Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira, according to Spanish newspaper Marca.

The publication’s website, www.marca.es, reported today that the French international is happy with the contract offered by the Madrid giants and that all that remains is for the two clubs to negotiate a price.

Marca believes this won’t be a problem as the player is determined to quit Highbury for the Bernabeu and the deal should go through in the next few days.

Madrid have remained silent on Vieira until today when the club’s sporting director Emilio Butragueno admitted they were keen on adding the 28-year-old to their star-studded squad.

“He’s a very interesting player and he’s very important for us and our club,” the former Real striker told BBC Sport Online.

“We’re not there yet. It’s a long process...I think this week will be decisive.”

Butragueno made the comments in Japan, where Real are set to play two pre-season friendlies against J-League opposition.

The Gunners – Premiership champions last season – do not need to sell but if Vieira has set his heart on a move to Madrid they will have to reluctantly cash in.

Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is adamant Vieira is going nowhere and has held talks with the player on the club’s pre-season tour of Austria.

Mike.

arsenal without vieira is like madrid without raul, utd without keane, liverpool without gerrard/owen.

he IS arsenal and makes them what they are. the same way the above make the above clubs. reality is, vieira is one of 2 keystones of arsenal, along with henry.

who will replace him, who? a one hit wonder in euro 2004? steven gerrard? theres no player that can match him. plus madrid are arsenals rivals in europe, both will fancy their chances at winning the champs league.

not only are arsenal weakening themselves but their strengthening their opponents. (if it all happens of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

How melodramatic... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

who will replace him, who?
    Take Vieira out of the team and give Wenger £30m to spend, Arsenal still have every chance of winning the league. I'm not playing Vieira down but Arsenal do not miss Vieira as much as United miss Keane.

If I was Arsenal I would reject any bid , and report Madrid to FIFA for tapping up a player .(it wouldnt do much finniacially to madrid but it would put them in they're place)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

arsenal without vieira is like madrid without raul, utd without keane, liverpool without gerrard/owen.

he IS arsenal and makes them what they are. the same way the above make the above clubs. reality is, vieira is one of 2 keystones of arsenal, along with henry.

who will replace him, who? a one hit wonder in euro 2004? steven gerrard? theres no player that can match him. plus madrid are arsenals rivals in europe, both will fancy their chances at winning the champs league.

not only are arsenal weakening themselves but their strengthening their opponents. (if it all happens of course).

First things first, Ronaldo is far more important to Real Madrid than Raul is. He would have to be. He is the goalscorer of the team.

I am sure Wenger will be able to do something. There is no player YET that can match him in Arsenals squad. But how do you know if that will stand a season down the line? If he has that 30million to spend, he will do well with it.

I think you are being very melodramatic.

Steven Gerrard would do brilliantly at Arsenal. He is what, 5 years younger than Viera? He is not far off him already. And as seen, Arsenal are not in a dire state without him.

I think Vieira is a very good player but with good tactics and hard working players, they can replace Patrick Vieira and still win things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Why do they need to buy Edu and Gilberto(sp) wud be an accomplished centre midfield! Gilberto will have settled tis season and will be better....how many season did it take before the best of Edu was seen?

edit oh yeah from wat I can see I think Vieira is already agreed terms! so all Arsenal fans say Cheerio!! edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Pychologically it might have be big blow - it was easy enough when he was gone for a few matches(Right lads lift your games a bit for Paddy). When the chips are down who is the player to drag them through now. Campbell maybe, even though he is supposed to be unhappy about his contract talks.

I agree wit Kida, I think Campbell is takin more of a captains role these days! prob is that when Arsenal lose Vieira isnt Campbell out for the start of the season with an injury?

I vote for Mophead to be Captain! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Vieira has formally requested a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

how do you know this bannor?

do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by midget lord
    how do you know this bannor?

do you have a link?

bannor doesn't need links, you'll see it in the papers in two days.

I'm not lying, just trust me

*looks shiftily at bannor*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by uberwolf

Considering the nature of the story, I seriously doubt Bannor's word on this.

That said, I think Viera will go.

What strikes me about this is that Madrid constently get away with this tactic of unsettling a player publically in order to get a favourable result. Its pretty sickening and I wish someone would do something about them.

i think they should be banned. And while we are handing out bans for this sort of thing good old alex ferguson should also get one for his continued under hand tactics in all his transfer dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I very much doubt you'll get a link to where Bannor's information comes from. Anyway - looks like he's going after all (thanks a million for making me eat my words on this thread, Paddy). With a bit of luck we'll get Morientes in return, plus a hefty wedge of cash.

It'll be interesting to see if his career develops the same way as Manu Petit's, Marc Overmars', and Nicolas Anelka's did when they left Arsenal. Players form has a habbit of taking a bit of a nosedive when they leave Arsenal...

Still no info on whether an offical bid has been tabled to the Arsenal board. If they have agreed a contract with Vieira before the offical negociations began with Arsenal surely they should be censured by FIFA over this.

If Paddy does go then so be it he has given Arsenal 8 good years and by the looks of it will give us a immense profit as well, to say his is disloyal is bollix. Even without him we have an extremely strong squad and we will be challanging strongly for the league again this season.

As I said earlier I am more worried about the situation with Wenger. I hope to god the board make it their priority to get his new contract signed asap.

Originally posted by gandalf
    Still no info on whether an offical bid has been tabled to the Arsenal board. If they have agreed a contract with Vieira before the offical negociations began with Arsenal surely they should be censured by FIFA over this.

This is bugging me aswell, Real are openly suggesting that they are meeting with the player and offering him terms.

Now, I was lead to believe that it is illegal to make an approach for a contracted player without first approaching the club.

If this is the case, why have Real not be censured. They were at least more subtle with Anelka and Beckham, but christ, tapping up players is basically bringing the game into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I agree with Gandalf here - Vieira has been a great servant of the club & if we were in the same situation and put on the spot with the sort of deal they'd be offering him....I'm sure you'd have to consider it.

Wenger though is the key to holding onto the rest of the French contingent at Highbury and the board has to act quickly to secure a new deal for him. Lose Wenger & the rest of the lads will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Maybe wenger will follow viera

As stated before Real have made two offers €32M plus Morientes and €35M. The Arsenal board have discussed the offers. After the initial offer they asked for €42M without Morientes.

Vieira has agreed terms with Madrid and has asked Arsenal for a transfer. All that remains is for the two clubs to agree the fee. David Dein is supposed to be meeting with Wenger and Vieira's agent today.

Real Madrid are so confident of the deal going through they have already ordered the champagne for the announcement.

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Maybe wenger will follow viera

Yeah right :rolleyes:

Its Vieira by the way

I cant believe Real get away with this kind of **** :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would not say the Arsenal squad is "extremely strong" still without Vieira but it still strong, Wenger is a genius and will find a replace or adjust tactics to keep Arsenal challenging. This season is shaping up to be very exciting.

a point to note about the arsenal squad is that there is a lot of frenchmen in it and we all know how tempremental the french are reputed to be. If vieira walks i believe we could see one more going, namely, Pires.

Originally posted by uberwolf

agreed Bannor has inside information on all European transfers .

by the way Bannor are you a football agent ?;)

If Vieira does go (and Bannor says he will , so it seems likely) , does anyone else think Flamini(who Wenger said would eventually replace Vieira) will be thrown in at the deep end .

he may be 20 years old , but he has played in the UEFA Cup final and was a first teamer for Marsaille .

maybe Wenger new Paddy could be leaving a long , long , time before the tabloids got the idea .

Originally posted by Big Ears
    agreed Bannor has inside information on all European transfers .

by the way Bannor are you a football agent ?;)
    Not a football agent. Just hear things from people that are well connected with clubs and agents.

then your a journo or a stalker?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by midget lord
    then your a journo or a stalker?

he's probably the tea lady for Barcelona :D .

If Vieira does go (and Bannor says he will , so it seems likely)
    I haven't said that he will! I've just passed on the info I've received. If the clubs don't agree a fee then the player will remain with Arsenal, but this could well be the last chance to cash in on the player. The only reason for Arsenal to say yes is to put money in the bank, they are a very well run club and Wenger has created a production line of players which will secure their future.

In the world of football transfers nothing is certain until the player has signed a contract and been presented to the fans - take Steven Gerrard as an example.

I honestly think that the people at Real Madrid are jumping the gun on this transfer. They are overly confident of getting the player, so much so that they've notified the editor of Marca (Spanish newspaper closely affiliated with the club) and suggested that they might want to add a million or more copies to the print run over the next few days because the fans will want to read about the transfer and it would be an awful pity if there wasn't enough copies in circulation. The arrogance is unbelievable and I for one would be quite happy if David Dein and Arsenal board were to say f**k off to Real.

he's probably the tea lady for Barcelona :D .
    You wish :D

This is becoming a joke.......
    Real Madrid appear to have taken a step back from speculation linking them with a move for Patrick Vieira.
    Emilio Butragueno, Real's director of football, expressed surprise at reports linking his club with the Arsenal star.

"The only thing I've said was Vieira's an 'interesting player'. I never confirmed that he was a target of ours," Butragueno said.

That conflicts with Spanish newspaper reports saying the French midfielder had finalised a contract with Real.

It look smore and more like Real are trying to unsettle the player and either Arsenal have told them where to go and they are trying to save face or Real are afraid they will be charged with tapping up Viera.

It strongly conflicts with the reports from the Spanish media anyway (and Bannors claim Viera has handed in a transfer request).

One thing is that at least Real keep every1 intrested every summer with there usual transfer dealings!

As I said above he is gone! seems to remember this is something similar to what happened with Ronaldo......Becks was just pushed out

• Advertisement
Advertisement