Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vieira to Real?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nah Syke, if this was all media hype - Vieira would have made a statement by now quashing all rumours....nah, no smoke without fire.....someone pass me a kipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by syke
    It look smore and more like Real are trying to unsettle the player and either Arsenal have told them where to go and they are trying to save face or Real are afraid they will be charged with tapping up Viera.

It strongly conflicts with the reports from the Spanish media anyway (and Bannors claim Viera has handed in a transfer request).

The plot thickens! (Again.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by mr_angry
    The plot thickens! (Again.)

It must be pretty Thick by now.

No doubt Arsenal will miss paddy if he goes but Wenger will probably sign a better player on a free knowing him. Losing viera is not all that bad in footballing terms but the affect it will have on the rest of the french contingents moral could have serious reprecussions for Arsenals future.

It must be very frustrating for Wenger to have built a team that has gone a season unbeaten and appears to be on the crest of something really special only to see one of the key players sold if that what happens.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/07/28/story159112.html

Vieira agent plays down Real deal talk
    28/07/2004 - 15:42:18

Patrick Vieira’s agent tonight played down speculation that the Arsenal midfielder is poised to make a €33m switch to Real Madrid.

Reports in Spanish newspaper Marca suggested the 28-year-old French international has agreed terms on a proposed deal to join the Spanish giants.

When asked why Vieira had not made clear what his future plans might be, his agent Steve Kutner, who has apparently already met with Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein over the Highbury skipper’s future, insisted “no agreement has been made”.

He told the Press Association: “There has been no movement on this. I can tell you that nothing has been agreed."

Kutner also claimed reports of a meeting to discuss the issue between Vieira, Dein and Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger at the Gunners’ pre-season training camp in Graz, Austria, were incorrect.

“I can tell you there is no Arsenal meeting,” Kutner added.

According to the London Evening Standard, Arsenal chiefs are growing increasingly frustrated that Vieira, whose £4m-a-year (€6m-a-year) contract is due to expire in 2008, has not publicly denounced claims he will leave Highbury.

The speculation heightened when Real’s sporting director, Emilio Butragueno, said last night: “He’s (Vieira) is a very interesting player and he’s very important for us.

“We’re not there yet. It’s a long process, this week will be decisive.”

Vieira refused to talk to a Spanish reporter at the Gunners’ team hotel on Sunday.

Arsenal refused to comment on the fresh reports tonight, but Wenger insisted over the weekend that no bids had made for Vieira.

“He would not go to Real Madrid,” said Wenger. “If that was going to happen, it would have happened a long time ago.”

Vieira, who joined the Barclays Premiership champions from AC Milan in August 1996, arrived in Austria by private jet on Saturday along with the club’s other Euro 2004 contingent.

He did not watch the Gunners’ pre-season 2-1 win over Grazer AK and he will miss Arsenal’s friendly with Sturm Graz tonight after picking up a slight knock in training along with Swedish international Freddie Ljungberg and Jeremie Aliadiere.

England defender Sol Campbell also misses out with an Achilles injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by The Muppet

It must be very frustrating for Wenger to have built a team that has gone a season unbeaten and appears to be on the crest of something really special only to see one of the key players sold if that what happens.

what does it say about the English league as well? Because his departure would be a pretty daming statement IMO especially in the context of the above

Unfortunately money talks.....be very hard to turn down the chance to play in a team with the cream of the worlds players.....could also be a very worrying time for the premiership with Chelsea emulating Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Arsenal have told Real Madrid that they will respond to the latest offer for Vieira on Tuesday/Wednesday next week. They intend to make the player feel loved over the weekend and convince him to change his mind about the transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Bannor wrote:
    Arsenal have told Real Madrid that they will respond to the latest offer for Vieira on Tuesday/Wednesday next week. They intend to make the player feel loved over the weekend and convince him to change his mind about the transfer.

Which transfer is this? I've still seen absolutely no indication that Viera has handed in a transfer request as you stated, on the contrary, Viera's agent has played down the posability. Now I realise this may be for UEFA's benefit but even still, if you are posting it here, how come we've still seen nothing in the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bannor wrote:
    They intend to make the player feel loved over the weekend and convince him to change his mind about the transfer.

:D

Thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time!

Axel wrote:
    :D

Thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time!

Indeed, maybe they'll bring him to a London hotel room and shower him with Coke and hookers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

im itching to know how bannor has this 'inside' info, or whether its all a crock of ****.

im itching to know how bannor has this 'inside' info, or whether its all a crock of ****.

why is it that everywhere you go all you're doing is flaming and trolling. If you're that intrstd go back through the threads for the last couple of months and see what he has said is very often shown to be accurate. Or alternatively keep your counsel and watch over the next couple of weeks and see what he says unfold. Bannor makes this forum for me because he consistently produces information that tranpires to be correct and I love knowing stuff that the papers haven't picked up on, the small details.

i wouldnt say im trolling uberwolf. Im questioning. I hope im proven wrong and that bannor is a good source of info on possible dealings etc. I suppose we'll see with this Vieira situation.

By the way, you tried the personal insult in the FHM thread maybe you should adopt an alternative approach instead of the hot headed one.

to be fair I don't think I have been hot headed. By using inverted comma's your infering sarcasm, and a crock of shit suggests you've made your mind up already. You say you'll wait and see. Thats what I suggested you do before you start insulting long standing and valuable contributors to this forum with in a week of your being allowed entry. This isn't the first time that Bannor has contributed and the sum of your response has been to cast aspersions.

So back in your box :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

isn't the deadlien for champions legaue registration pretty soon?
    If he's going, it would have to be resolved within days. Also Bannor doesn't need to prove himself. He's provided quite useful info before. This is a free web board after all. Anyone who posts decent stuff should be thanked not constantly questioned.

i used 'crock of ****e' as an alternative. TBH i havent made my mind up at all, as i said above, i hope im proven wrong. I'll wait and see.

I wouldnt have said i was insulting him either, if i did, i apologise. Questioning, on the other hand, is quite different. I was of the opinion that discussion boards are about discussions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

vorbis wrote:
    isn't the deadlien for champions legaue registration pretty soon?
    If he's going, it would have to be resolved within days. Also Bannor doesn't need to prove himself. He's provided quite useful info before. This is a free web board after all. Anyone who posts decent stuff should be thanked not constantly questioned.
    5th august i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Midget Lord be every careful with the way you question other peoples contributions to this board. If I see anything that I construe as a personal insult you are out of here. Also Bannor is a respected member of this board and an awful lot of his insights are normally spot on.

There are 2 or 3 people on this board who seem to have access to knowledge that the majority do not. He is one of them. Of course in this case I am hoping he is wrong :)

syke wrote:
    Which transfer is this? I've still seen absolutely no indication that Viera has handed in a transfer request as you stated, on the contrary, Viera's agent has played down the posability. Now I realise this may be for UEFA's benefit but even still, if you are posting it here, how come we've still seen nothing in the media?
    Obviously if it doesn't appear in the media it must not be true. And if a story were to appear in the media would that make it true?

The media is a funny old thing which is often manipulated by clubs. Real normally use the media to unsettle players and put pressure on the club the player is contracted to, that has back fired on them this summer.

Carvalho was top of their list to partner Samuel in defense next season, they agreed a deal with the player but Porto stung them - they had already agreed with Mourinho to let him go to Chelsea if an offer matching Real's was made. Barcelona enquired about the player and Porto put them straight immediately. So Barca went looking elsewhere, they put out a story about looking to sign Hyypia and the media lapped it up. Meanwhile they were negotiating with another player on the Real shopping list - Edmilson.

Barcelona also put out the story about trying to get Cisse on loan from Liverpool and the media swallowed it yet again. The reason for the story is that Barcelona are trying to get their hands on Samuel Eto'o but the problem being that Real Madrid own 50% of the player and will not allow the player to be sold to Barcelona. Barca through a third party are trying to secure the player and have been trying to keep Real off the scent.

• Advertisement

I get my info regarding transfers from very well connected sources.

For example: When the Real Madrid club president talks to somebody in a foreign club he always speaks spanish yet the person on the other end of the phone always hears their native tongue. This miracle is performed by a translator.

The club employs the services of a translator for all negotiations whether they are face to face or over the phone. Where does the translator come from? The translators are provided by a company and the person who runs the company knows quite a few agents, players, managers, club presidents etc. in the football world who employ the services of the company. Through these connections and the nature of the business they hear quite alot about the goings on behind the scenes.

The info I get I share with the forum but it's only a tiny fraction of what they hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Bannor wrote:
    Carvalho was top of their list to partner Samuel in defense next season, they agreed a deal with the player but Porto stung them - they had already agreed with Mourinho to let him go to Chelsea if an offer matching Real's was made. Barcelona enquired about the player and Porto put them straight immediately. So Barca went looking elsewhere, they put out a story about looking to sign Hyypia and the media lapped it up. Meanwhile they were negotiating with another player on the Real shopping list - Edmilson.

Barcelona also put out the story about trying to get Cisse on loan from Liverpool and the media swallowed it yet again. The reason for the story is that Barcelona are trying to get their hands on Samuel Eto'o but the problem being that Real Madrid own 50% of the player and will not allow the player to be sold to Barcelona. Barca through a third party are trying to secure the player and have been trying to keep Real off the scent.
    Deadly - so everyone who pays money to places like teamtalk are getting fed a load of **** - nice :D

Always wondered how the whole thing worked ;-)

Bannor wrote:
    I get my info regarding transfers from very well connected sources.

For example: When the Real Madrid club president talks to somebody in a foreign club he always speaks spanish yet the person on the other end of the phone............

Bannor you should not fell the need to elaborate on your sources just because some newbie questions them. Those of us who have been around here for a while know that what you post is not wild speculation but well constructed informative posts and whether you get that information from source close to the situation or form those opinions yourself from reading between the lines from various othere sources is your own business.

I for one dont care who your sources are of indeed if you have any sources at all but I always read your posts. For sure the soccer board is a more interesting read when you contribute one of your observations so if I were you I wouldn't bother trying to justify your posts. Those us that have been here any length of time value and appreciate your contributions. Nobody gets it right 100% of the time but as we know clubs and agents are not averse to propagating false stories to divert the attention away from the real story.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't know whether to start a "Bannor appreciation" thread or call for a group hug. I'm overwhelmed with the outpouring of love ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Before you cream yourself remember that Kluivert went to Atletico and Gronkjaer to Sevilla ;)

p.pete wrote:
    I don't know whether to start a "Bannor appreciation" thread or call for a group hug. I'm overwhelmed with the outpouring of love ;)

I wouldn,t go that far now pete after all he is still a liverpool fan. ;)

I just dont think its right for people to be taking shots at hime because some of his predictions don't happen. Like the rest of us he is only speculating and most of us appreciate his contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Whether Bannor is playing around or not is besides the point. He is really interesting. I know every time I read something he types, my mind races with possibilities about what it would be like.

I am still praying the Rooney to Utd is true.

Of course I do know he is not making it up.

The Spanish giants want to pay only £18million — not the £30m valuation Arsenal have put on him.

Are they living in the 'Real' World........

• Advertisement

"Real Madrid have confirmed making an £18 million bid for Arsenal star Patrick Vieira, according to Sky Sports News. "

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1146130,00.html

I'm beginning to wish he'd flippin go at this stage just to get some normality back ! - 18m seems a tad low though

I can't see him going for 18 Million. 25 at the very very least.

That said, as far as I know, Madrid wanted Viera tohand in a transfer request because that would lower his price from the 30+ that Arsenal would want to the 18million they could afford.

Seeing as we've heard nothing about a transfer request from Viera and all indications are that he hasn't handed one in, I would say this is Madrid feeling the waters.

If he isn't gone by Thursday, he won't go.

Bannor said he handed in a transfer request though, so this could be interesting. A player of his quality for 18mill is not great to be honest. Didn't Beckham go for 25? Anyway, if he did hand in a transfer request, then 20mill should be enough I reckon.

cheesedude wrote:
    Bannor said he handed in a transfer request though, .

It seems this was the story that Real fed to the Spanish media. It appears to have been a lie, or at the very least a premature assumption.

Either way, its the usual underhanded tricks that Real do. I actually don't like the club any more and I'll never support them again.

They were saying that Vieira would'nt hand in a transfer request out of respect to the club. After 8 years he felt he owed the fans more, although he WOULD like to move to Real and is hoping that Real make a formal approach.

Real normally insist on the player making the first move as it normally brings the transfer fee down, so there's a stalemate on this one.

Transfer deadline for Champ. League is this Thursday ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Deadline for the Champions League qualifiyers I thought .

Big Ears wrote:
    Deadline for the Champions League qualifiyers I thought .

Yeah.

End of August for the champions league later stages

Can't see this hanging on much longer - Bannor has had the thread of this for some time & he's rarely far from the facts....

I reckon its a fee negotiation jobby now....€20-€23 mill or a cash/player swap

Freddie looks secure at Arsenal now & was playing very well in Austria & Amsterdam. With Edu & Gilberto staying, they could re-shuffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

according to Guillem Balague (sp?) (who is a very well respected English/Spanish liason journalist) .

said that Real Madrid have not offered him a wage equal to they're Gallactico's (Zidane , Raul , Ronaldo and a few more) , apparently Vieira wants as much as these players are getting , and would not join with a lesser wage .

I didnt catch the whole interview(it was on Sky Sports News) though.

Wasn't able to get to a computer yesterday - the message came through in the afternoon that Arsenal had accepted the €35M bid for Vieira.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote:
    They were saying that Vieira would'nt hand in a transfer request out of respect to the club. After 8 years he felt he owed the fans more, although he WOULD like to move to Real and is hoping that Real make a formal approach.
    He did hand in a written transfer request - Wenger asked him to. In doing so he waived the 10% of the transfer fee which he would otherwise have been entitled to.

Fair do's...although by maintaining his silence, he's going fairly gracefully.

No word on the grapevine as to a successor Bannor ?? - All the money seems to be on Maniche, but you'd never know with Wenger........

Arsenal are looking to stall the transfer until they get a replacement in place.

Porto were sounded out a few weeks ago about Maniche in the event that Vieira did leave.

Xabi Alonso is available from Real Sociedad for €15M, but I doubt Wenger will be eager to spend that amount of cash.

Wenger has previously made enquiries about Bastian Schweinsteiger of Bayern Munich but I doubt that Bayern will be eager to sell.

Personally I don't think that Wenger will be eager to splash the cash on a replacement. Gilberto can take on Vieira's role in the short term and give Wenger the time to look around for a player.

A few years ago when Real first started sniffing around Vieira, Wenger made a few enquiries about signing a replacement from the French league. The two players that topped the list of potential replacements were Salif Diao (now at Liverpool) and Mickael Essien (now at Lyon). Another player that Wenger has looked at in the past and is looking for a move to the Premier League is Mark van Bommel.

I'd agree - I think this could actually work out quite well for Arsenal - much as I hate seeing the big fella go, we do have quite a bit of talent in midfield.

Ljungberg is looking sharp & they now seem committed to keeping him for the near future anyway, Edu had a cracking season last year & Gilberto spent a while settling in. I don't think we've seen anywhere near the best of him yet. Pires on the left with the ability to switch (although I dont like him on the right) and Reyes can quite happily slot on on wide right......

Things suddenly dont seem so bad.....As long as Wenger extends his own contract !!

Advertisement