Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rubbish net connection, options?

Options
  • 14-07-2004 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

a friend of mine is living out in the country and is having an awful time with Eircom and connecting to the net.

It has been going on for months and he has had Eircom engineers out a few times, all to no avail. He has 2 phone lines in the house (I believe that it is the one line been split).

What are his options? Eircom just says "its not our fault". If he switches to Esat, will his line get 'unbundle'? Am I correct in saying, that if he gets his line unbundled, that the split line will be removed?

All he wants is two lines, one for the house and one for interne. He has tried getting DSL, but he is too far out and the line is split, so no chance of him getting it.

Any suggests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think ISDN is his best bet, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

I think he has considered ISDN, but its too expensive.

Am I right in saying that his line will be 'unsplit' if he changes over to Esat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by cherrio
    Am I right in saying that his line will be 'unsplit' if he changes over to Esat?

No, it will not be unsplit. Esat/BT do not unbundle when he goes to them. Local Loop Unbundling (that's where Eircom can be asked by the unbundler to remove carriers in the line) has nothing to do with Carrier PreSelection.
    Local Loop Unbundling has been a total flop so far, thanks to our inapt regulator. More pages have been thrown up by ComReg's civil servants on LLU than lines have been unbundled (less the 2000).
    Not forcing the incumbent to have decent lines to its customers, but granting them the highest line rental in Europe is one of the big failures of Comreg.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I had a customer in with me a few weeks back with their system. Unable to connect ot the Internet, dropping calls etc (many people from the same area had the problem) they were getting a new modem as eircom told them that everything was fine etc all the individuals systems fault. Their old modem system etc tested fine here, got back onto eircom. Answer they recieved "If you ever want to have Internet again you will have to take up our ISDN offer"

Customer Service eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by cherrio
    I think he has considered ISDN, but its too expensive.

You say he already has 2 lines at the moment. ISDN would give him 2 lines as well, and it's also slightly cheaper, so he would save money getting it (ignoring the installation charge).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    You say he already has 2 lines at the moment. ISDN would give him 2 lines as well, and it's also slightly cheaper, so he would save money getting it (ignoring the installation charge).

Rental for Eircom "Hi-Speed" as they call their IDSN offering is €37.50 per month. Rental for an analog line is €23.57 by two = €47.14. There is an installation charge of €119.99 but he would have that saved in a year anyway not to mention the peace of mind with a half-way decent Internet connection.

Advertisement