Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Owen's Bosmans Holiday

• 14-07-2004 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

What do the Liverpool fans think? Personally, I reckon that unless you guys make a really serious championship challenge this season, little mickey will be off on a bosman...

Do you want him sold this summer? I mean, Liverpool FC made him who he is, for him to leave on a bosman would be a real poke in the eye...

Or do you feel fair enough, he served his time and you are thankful for what he has already given you?

Not that it's much of a comparison, but as a City fan, I would understand if Nicholas Anelka wanted to leave City, and I'd be thankful that he graced the field for us for the time we had him... however, we didn't make him who he is, so it's slightly different...

Personally, I think this season will be Owen's last in a Liverpool shirt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TBH and this sounds a bit harsh, but I hope they sell the little diving, whinging little bugger..

He has contributed 15 goals a seasons for the past 3 years or so. He is constantly suffering from injury, you can see he is not putting in 100% because of injury, goes 5 or so games without scoring on a regular basis, contributes very little other than the odd goal and then bitches about the success of the club.. He has also lost his one asset, his pace!!

On the other hand, he is an instinctive finisher and you cant wondering whether he will shine once he does not have the fear of injuries hanging over him...

He has publically stated he wont hold the club to ransom and leave on a Bosman. I am satisfied he will not do this. From my point of few, he has given the club one more year to prove something to him and the we have given him one more year to prove he is not a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

If he really wants to stay he should be able to sign on the dotted line now. He's had quite enough time to negotiate the contract already and at the end of the day what kind of demands would he be making with this new one?

To be fair to him he has said that he won't do a bosman and I believe him.

Having said that I think the club would be hard pressed to find a buyer now seeing as he was completely overshadowed at Euro 2004 by Rooney.

So he may have one more season to give the club a chance to collect some silverware and also to improve his form to increase his market value and attract some interest from other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by cerbeus

Having said that I think the club would be hard pressed to find a buyer now seeing as he was completely overshadowed at Euro 2004 by Rooney.

So he may have one more season to give the club a chance to collect some silverware and also to improve his form to increase his market value and attract some interest from other clubs.

I agree with that , Liverpool should have sold him a year ago when he first refused to sign a new contract. He was nearer his peak then and his value has diminished since then and will continue to drop unless he recovers his form which he won't because as JTG said his main asset was his pace and once that's goes it's gone forever. If he has another season like last the top english clubs would be reluctant to spend big money on him so I think he will sign again for Liverpool or move abroad where there may be interest because of his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The sun reports today that he (Owen) has bought two Villas in Costa del Sol, but its 4 hours from Madrid so probably just holiday homes, or maybe not.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Originally posted by irish1
    The sun reports today that he (Owen) has bought two Villas in Costa del Sol, but its 4 hours from Madrid so probably just holiday homes, or maybe not.......

I wouldnt read anything into him buing holiday homes. the guy is a shrewd little businessman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

If liverpool are in the same position they were last year they could loose owen and gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

personally i don't think he is in any position to hold the team to ransom. he just isn't worth the mad money he wants (£88,000 p/w apparently).

if they can sell him now, i would say "on your bike" , baros and cisse will be a better partnership i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He wouldn't be in my first XI for Liverpool going by current form anyway. If he doesn't sign within the next month, we should cut our losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    He wouldn't be in my first XI for Liverpool going by current form anyway. If he doesn't sign within the next month, we should cut our losses.

Baros and Cisse up front! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm easy on Owen staying or going the club will survive either way. He should be required to sign now or go though he wont fetch a fortune but Boro might stump up 10 mill for him.;) I dont see him playing for one of the biggest continental clubs.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Chelsea could buy him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

The teams lack of ambition is down to poor management which is now hopefully sorted.

Owen will get his form back along with the rest of the team once the new Man starts getting into their heads. He seems more positive than GH and that will rub of on the players.

I see Owen coming good this season while holding off on a new contract until all the things mentioned in the previous posts here are proved wrong.

R-N-B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If it was me, I'd cash in on him.
    Baros and Cisse up front, and put any money made to good use to buy a back up for those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Owen is not leaving on a bosman. Owen is a shrewd business man so the houses are an investment, Fowler has property all over the place its a good way to get a return from your money in football as we know its one of the shortest carrers you can have.

If Liverpool cash which i doubt will happen he will be moving abroad as he wont play for another english team.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

If Owen starts to realise he's not an automatic started he might start playing with a bit more passion and commitment. Up till now, with Houllier, he's practically been an automatic start no matter how poor he was playing. Houllier even WANTED him to take Penalties, despite Owen's obvious failings when it comes to spot kicks. TBH, I'd prefer to see us get £20M for him now and buy a backup for Baros and Cisse. If Owen went though, Gerrard would be pissed off which could effect his performances.

there is no way ye would get 20 mill for him
    Ye would be lucky to get 12 unless chelsea decide to buy him

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    there is no way ye would get 20 mill for him
    Ye would be lucky to get 12 unless chelsea decide to buy him

Sorry, meant Eur20,000,000

you would be pushing it at that as well as owen has got progressively worse over the last couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    you would be pushing it at that as well as owen has got progressively worse over the last couple of years

But so have liverpools performances :) Maybe if they start playing well he will pick up? (Wishful thinking perhaps :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Something to note about Owen though, he lives on decent balls from the midfield and the only person who provides him with this for both England and Liverpool is Stevie Gerard.. Maybe Benitez's purchases over the summer or a change in style of play will do wonders for Owen. Remeber alot of Liverpools play under GH were long balls (inaccurate delivery also).

• Advertisement

Antoher thing about owen
    One trick horse
    Gerrard hoofs the ball up the field
    Owen runs on to it and scores
    But he has lost his pace

Advertisement