Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net radio?

• 14-07-2004 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I listen to some live365.com radios, but they don't work through a firewall like I have at work.

Do you know any good quality net radio stations, that work through firewalls? (i.e. don't need weird ports)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

use winamp 5, its got a nice selection of radio and tv stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

if winamp doesn't work, try iTunes, also has a big selection...including VMR...why I was listening to VMR I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Whatever program you choose to use, just set it to use port 80 for outgoing connections (i know thats possibly in winamp). It means you won't be able to browse while your listening (i think) but that port is guarenteed to be open for ougoing connections. You can experiment with other ports, such as 8080 or 21, or 2121, see what else works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    It means you won't be able to browse while your listening (i think) but that port is guarenteed to be open for ougoing connections.

No it doesn't. You will be able to browse as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i thought that if you started streaming music on port 80, winamp would "lockdown" that port for its use, and so IE wouldn't be able to use it, thus preventing webaccess (unless its secondary port 8080 is also opened in the firewall).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'm almost certain that doesn't happen mutant fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

try the bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I set up the http proxy in winamp, and it works like a charm!

Thanks all.

(btw, radio prank is killing me!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think www.powerfm.org will work. Does for me and im behind a firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Warning for all those using internet radio at work. It is very heavy on bandwidth and one of our Employees got in trouble for leaving a radio station on all day. Just in case you work in a Nazi concentration camp like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

You can use something like HTTPTunnel if you want to listen to stations on wierd port numbers. It'll re-route the wierd port through port 80, but as Daveg mentioned some places don't like you hogging all their bandwidth with streaming audio for 8 hours a day. Specially if it's a small company on a capped DSL connection or the like.

Advertisement