Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE-Opening of The Savoy

Options
  • 14-07-2004 5:02am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

the date is almost certain now to be the august bank holiday weekend,
    so please post your opinions here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Excellent. I always loved the Savoy. Let's hope they don't fck it up again this time. Will the old DJs be coming back ? It was my favourite venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

This is great news for the city, its an excellent concert venue and drew big bands while it was open. I'm looking forward to more big bands coming to Cork now. The Half Moon is a good venue too but for bigger acts they had to go the Opera House which I don't really like for concerts. Roll on the bank holiday weekend :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

YES cant ****ing wait

the club scene in cork at the mo is ****ing ****e at the mo and needs a serious kick in the arse!

will it be the same layout and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I only ever went there for Freakscene, and it was a great venue for the night. Will there be any freakscene-type nights there, as freakscene sucks as the moment in One.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

all i can say for sure is that Stevie G will definitely be back,
    on the freakscene side of things, we have been talking to John the owner of the nite as he has another nite called Goldsoundz in the Bodega on Fridays but unless he decides to move it back to the savoy ( Freakscene that is ) i cant see us doing our own nite that would be even remotely similar but we will see.

This a few problems to sort out , like the smoking ban as anyone who has been there will know it is a long way up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yeah, I can't imagine that will be an easy thing to resolve.

Ok the weekend is almost upon us and there are no signs the savoy is opeing? whats going on??

we have people in the building doing work that has to be done before we can reopen such as smoking area and a remodeling of the top floor bar and floor,
    we have recently purchased mercier bookshop and are converting it into a restaurant called cafe bar deli there is one in dublin and 1 used to be located at the bodega so we have suffered delays and the new date is august 28th as given by the people who have been contracted to do the work, i have been very busy lately and didnt think to post newer details here, sorry about that and i will try pass on details as and when i get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tylerdurden

guy goes into dunnes stores to by a pair of trousers... he asks the assistant for help and she says 'here try these'.
    He goes into fitting room and tries em on.
    'How are they' she asks him. (here the story loses some credibility, I don't think this level of customer service is believable)
    "they're a bit like the ballroom at the Savoy" he says.
    "there's no ballroom at the savoy" she replies
    "that's what I'm trying to tell you."

sorry.

Do you know of any plans for acts/bands in the coming months or are they waiting to reopen before trying to book anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is the screen still up?

adam

due to legal matters beyond our control, the provisional date for reopening has now been removed untill we have everything in writing in front of us saying that we have the go ahead, as we understood there was no objections but now that we set the motion of reopening going an objection has appeared, sorry about this nothing i or the owners can do currently.

Who are the objections from

I can get a few mates of mine to sort them out with a stick! :)

Any news, is it still re-opening?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement