Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will win the premiership 04/05?

• 14-07-2004 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

so i have seen a few people discuss this in other threads a bit off topic so i decided to start a thread that is entirely about who will win the premiership this season. hopefully this will not turn into a "man u are s**t ", "arsenal are c**p too!" kinda thing.

so here are my two cent's.

to win the premiership
    1) chelsea -- because murinho will be as good as he thinks he is
    2) arsenal -- everyone will want to beat them this year (to prove a point for all the beatings last year).
    3) man u -- still rebuilding their squad
    4) newcastle / pool -- still don't have the class players needed

that is my opinion. i'm not slagging teams just my honest opinion on how i see things

so what do the rest of you think? (don't hurt me :p )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Man utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Depends on wether viera stays or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

ever the optimist ... L I V E R P OO L - LIVERPOOL F.C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Man u will be harder to beat this year. The old setup with Quirez (sp?) back on board will be a help too.

Chelsea are a tough one to call. No really amazing signings as of yet and sounds like a bit of discontent in the camp.

The arse will be hard to beat but Viera is the key. He's been unsettled by rumours before and if he goes, so does the heartbeat of the team.

Liverpool and Newcastle might struggle for 4th cos of the improvements in Southhampton/villa/Birmingham, while they have almost stood still.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

BTW whats the odds for the premiership next year??

Chelsea are a tough one to call. No really amazing signings as of yet and sounds like a bit of discontent in the camp.

What are you on about lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Utd are third favorites for the league at 5/2 best odds for them in the last few years , Arsenal are favourites with Chelsea second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

1.Arsenal

2.Chelsea

3.Liverpool

4.Man United

5.Newcastle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Arsenal will win it.. The remainding places will be fought out between Liverpool, United and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Arsenal to win it, (if they hang onto viera).

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

should have done a poll , obviously arsenal are favourites after going unbeaten last season, but the way I look at it is they are due a bad run ... Liverpool have had the bad run and are due a good run, its simple really , benitez enjoys winning leagues in his first season as manager too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Too early to tell ask me the week before the season starts when the clubs have finished playing in the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, Liverpool for the league!

your living in la la land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Yes, Liverpool for the league!

Must be a lot of players coming in before the season starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As of July 14th I say Arsenal follwed by Chelsea or Man Utd. But I think we should wait until the end of August before placing any bets...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Arsenal to win
    (2) Man Utd.
    (3) Chelsea

etc ...etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

who cares , it's a 3 horse race.

More interesting is who will get the 4th CL and UEFA places, who will survive the drop, how will Leeds do in Div 1, will Carlilse (sp) bounce back etc.

The Premiership title race is boreing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man Utd
    5. Birmingham
    6. Newcastle
    7. Middlesborough
    8. Aston Villa

Chelsea already have some outstanding players in the squad, combine them with the new arrivals and Mourinho and they may very well be championship winners. Arsenal will be strong but with a lack of squad depth my just struggle, if Veira or Henry go then I expect them to slide even further down the table. With Gerrard staying and Benitez at the helm, Liverpool will be stronger this season, expecting Benitez to make a shrewd purchase or two :D Fergies time I think has come, after last seasons disasterous transfers (barring Ronaldo) and a crumbling midfield I can't see scope for an improvement.

Suprise package of the season will be Birmingham. I think, while Bruce has not bought championship winning players, he's invested wisely in proven players of decent quality. I'd also tip Birmingham for League cup or FA cup sucess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

arsenal ;) all the way.

the more pressure on them the better for utd and chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

JohnnyBravo, Why don't you give your opinion instead of rubbishing others.

Muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im gona go with a two horse race for the top spot, Man Utd and Arsenal, guess who I think will win :)

As for the rest I think Liverpool are gona take on Chelsea this year for third/forth place
    I'm actually rooting for Liverpool, I felt a chil go down my spine as I said that, and think they can do it.

Birmingham vs. Newcastle for the fifth place spot

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by mike65
    But I think we should wait until the end of August before placing any bets...
    ditto.

As of right now though, I think it'll gradually become a two horse race between Arsenal & Man Utd, with Chelsea dropping off a little while Liverpool & Newcastle (provided the likes of Woodgate and Bellamy stay fit) are right behind them snapping at their heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Arsenal to win it. Villa to finish 5th.

That is all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Although, if Newcastle can't find some consistency they could very easily find themselves one or two places further down the table than last season... Villa, Boro and Brum all look good sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think Man United will win it. Rio will be back from from September 20th also United have Carlos Quirez back and he will tighted up the defence in training.
    Miller will be a good addation. when Keane isnt playing i would have confindence in Miller doing a good job. Smith is a hard worker and i think he will do well because he will get the service he didnt get at Leeds.
    If Arsenal lose Veira then i could see Chelsea getting second and Arsenal finishing third.
    I could see birmingham getting 4th, i think Heskey and Gronajor(sp) will do well because there wont be the presure that was on them at Liverpool and Chelsea.

Also here is a dead cert, Newcastle to win something. I dont know what but something. Its Sir Bobby and Sheraer(sp) last season and they have to win something......i'd go for the Carling Cup.

I wont be doing any bets until a week or two before the season starts because Veira will affect the betting if he stays or goes.

Originally posted by kaids
    Although, if Newcastle can't find some consistency they could very easily find themselves one or two places further down the table than last season... Villa, Boro and Brum all look good sides.

well Newcastle had an insane amount of injuries last season , and any side with that amount of injuries cant compensate with enough players of similiar quality .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i honestly belive liverpool have a good change of winning the league. The reason is that we do have the quality players but Mr Houllier was unable to get the best out of them.

We will be playing attacking football this season and i honestly come next May we will there or thereabouts.

It would be class to sticky this thread and lock it once the season starts and see how close everyone was.

1. Liverpool
    2. Arsenal
    3. Chelsea
    4. Man Utd
    5. Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

1.Arsenal
    2.Chelsea
    3.Liverpool
    4.Man United
    5.Newcastle

I doubt it very much -I think Arsenal and ManU will be fighting it out for the top spot with Chelsea and Birmingham in one of third or fourth spot and Villa 5th. I hope I'm wrong but I see the pool in 6th or 7th. Theres been too many improvements in other teams while Liverpool have been too quiet. Well I suppose at least they're shot of Hesky !!

R-N-B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by red-not-blue
    while Liverpool have been too quiet. Well I suppose at least they're shot of Hesky !!

R-N-B

Yes of course. With Houllier they were fourth all season last year. If you really think that under Benetiz they will finish 7th you mustnt be talking about the same team.

• Advertisement

I guess I didn't make much sense there but my point is that the team is low on confidence ot the moment, there have been no additions to the squad really and other teams have bought well during the window !

R-N-B

I guess I didn't make much sense there but my point is that the team is low on confidence ot the moment, there have been no additions to the squad really and other teams have bought well during the window !

R-N-B

Cisse? The most expensive buy by any premiership club this summer. And the new manager will bring confidence.

Cisse is just one player - ok a good player granted - but one player just the same coming into a team that have had negativity shooved at them for the past 4 or 5 years. Cisse will take time to settle as will the rest of the team to get used to him. The new manager is going to need a bit of time to find his best team from the squad he's got and add to it if needs be. For that reason I think Liverpool won't be contenders next season in the PL.

R-N-B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liverpool are only back in training about a week. The league starts in a month. Loads of time for transfers. Chelsea only bought Duff, Bridge and Johnston before their trip to Malaysia at the end of July last year and the rest of the players in August. I'm suprised so many people expect transfers to be dealt with already.

BTW, 2 more players and Liverpool have a quality squad of players.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Liverpool are only back in training about a week. The league starts in a month. Loads of time for transfers. Chelsea only bought Duff, Bridge and Johnston before their trip to Malaysia at the end of July last year and the rest of the players in August. I'm suprised so many people expect transfers to be dealt with already.

Someone's a koptalk insider member.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by eirebhoy

I think you might have wanted to post that here maybe?

vieira wont be going anywhere, madrid are desperate for players now their empire is crumbling and its basically an effort to try and unsettle vieira in the hope he'll move.

i really dont think vieira is a gold digger, he's a modest world class player (not too many at arsenal) and i dont think he'll fall for madrid games.

anyway, boro seem to have a decent side now, b'mingham, villa under o'leary look decent. if n'castle get kluivert that could be the difference between 4th and 5th for them.

its good to see the smaller or midtable clubs getting stronger, long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Someone's a koptalk insider member.:cool:
    I'm not actually a Liverpool fan.:)
    Originally posted by Shaque attack
    I think you might have wanted to post that here maybe?
    Read the previous post and you'll see what I was replying to.

Originally posted by red-not-blue
    For that reason I think Liverpool won't be contenders next season in the PL.

R-N-B

There is one thing saying they wont be title contenders, but you said you see them 6th or 7th, which is total garbage. They will no way fall 4 places on last year. If you think they will are you sure we are talking about the same team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Liverpool - now is the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Viera and the silverware to stay at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Man Utd!!! tink they will edge it

But more important Shef Wed to win League One! who care cares about this Premiership rubbish! The other division r better crack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

1.Man U
    2.Chelsea
    3.Arsenal(further down if lose Viera)

15-20 point gap

4.B'ham
    5.Newcastle
    6.Villa
    7.Boro
    8.B'Burn
    9.Bolton
    10.Charlton
    12. Fulham
    12. Liverpool
    13. Portsmouth
    14. Soton
    15. Everton
    16. West Brom
    17. Palace
    18. Norwich
    19. Spurs
    20. M City

Originally posted by kida
    1.Man U
    2.Chelsea

15-20 point gap

4.B'ham
    5.Newcastle
    6.Villa
    7.Boro
    8.B'Burn
    9.Bolton
    10.Charlton
    12. Fulham
    12. Liverpool
    13. Portsmouth
    14. Soton
    15. Everton
    16. West Brom
    17. Palace
    18. Norwich
    19. Spurs
    20. M City

surely your dreaming mate. Liverpool to finish 12th.:D

That cheered me up no end.

Them United fans got a great sense of humour .

Originally posted by kida
    1.Man U
    2.Chelsea

15-20 point gap

4.B'ham
    5.Newcastle
    6.Villa
    7.Boro
    8.B'Burn
    9.Bolton
    10.Charlton
    12. Fulham
    12. Liverpool
    13. Portsmouth
    14. Soton
    15. Everton
    16. West Brom
    17. Palace
    18. Norwich
    19. Spurs
    20. M City

no no, irish geo, liverpool to finish JOINT 12th with fulham! 11th must be for the match officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

1. Arsenal
    2. Chelsea
    3. Manure

Another boring 3 three horse race with 4 or 5 mediocre teams fighting it out for 4th spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Man City

King kev and lonely nicholas anelka all the way!

And possibly wiltord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

1.Chelsea-Mourinho is a Genius
    2.Man UTD
    3.Arsenal
    4.Liverpool
    5.Aston Villa
    6.Newcastle
    7.Birmingham

• Advertisement
Advertisement