Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom or utv for dial-up

Options
  • 14-07-2004 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i'm on utvs' 30 hour product at the moment . is one better than the other for connection and speed .i'm having problems with noise on the line and the connection speed is sometimes as low as 16kb's.i tried eircoms dial-up number but didn't notice much difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

For most people it's much of a muchness. Mind you, I never got higher than 33.6 with Eircom but got 50ish with every single other ISP I tried. Works in reverse for some people.

Given that you're getting a magnificent 16kps or thereabouts with both Eircom and UTV it sounds like you've a shoddy line. Eircom don't do anything about that as they maintain that they owe you essentially nothing for data access.

Phnoe them and tell them your line is crackly for voice calls (all the better if it is). Say it's intermittent but really annoying (the engineer may make a call while there and it's a good explanation why it's (temporarily) better for him). Scrunch a plastic bag next to the phone while on the call if you feel like giving the impression it's worse than it is. Put some tayto crisps in it if you go in for cheapo Hollywood special effects. In case they call back use the bag when someone rings. Get them to send someone out to check out your line. Something may come of it, something may not.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

^ What Sceptre said - a crap line is a crap line.

That said, I'm aware of several people who switched from Eircom's to UTV's dialup service, and found it substantially better. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Unfortunately it sounds like you're on a split telephone line. Legally they have to provide you with a full telephone line. I remember someone I know ringing up about that before though and they gave him an awful time saying that because he was in bogsville they could only provide him with a split line. Not sure did he get it sorted or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What happens if you have this situation and order ISDN?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Stark
    Legally they have to provide you with a full telephone line.
    'fraid not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement