Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

album of 2004 so far

Options
  • 14-07-2004 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

Sonic Youth - "Sonic Nurse"

if you liked sonic youth in the past you should definitely check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

interpol - antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

+1 for Interpol - antics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Modest Mouse - Good news for people who like bad news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Scissor Sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hope Of The States

(honourable mentions to Franz Ferdinand, Scissor Sisters and Sonic Youth)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The Killers - Hot fuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Hmm Scissor Sisters?

You have heard their version of comfortable numb!! No self respecting musician would do that to such a masterpiece. They dont deserve a listen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by gogul
    Hmm Scissor Sisters?

You have heard their version of comfortable numb!! No self respecting musician would do that to such a masterpiece. They dont deserve a listen!!!

So based on one bad cover - you don't give a band a chance with anything else?? You're very clever, and obviously know better than everyone else.

Best album of 2004 (IMO) - Prince - Musicology.

Dr Loon, u think of one of your favourite bands. If a cover was done of one of their best songs (very badly I might add), wouldn't u be p*ssed!?

Hmm Scissor Sisters?

Yes, obviously you are correct. Its awful - what was I thinking? I'll change my nomination to Pink Floyd - Echoes (almost this year). Pink Floyd rule all.

..........or..............no - i think its great and you can eat my ass-biscuit. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

Probably have to go with Vol.3 The Subliminal Verses - Slipknot. Very little else released this year that has been very good.

might I add - I prefer the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb - its sufficiently different from the original to merit being a cover - surely that's better - putting their own stamp on it rather than doing an almost identical version to PF.

Did u also like Tori Amos' version of Smells Like Teen Spirit?

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

+ 1 for the Scissor Sisters - brownie points for being (mostly) original if nothing else. I agree with RE*AC*TOR , at least it's different enough :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra La La Band with Choir - Thee Rusted Satellites Gather and Sing.

Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People which only got an Irish release this year.

Sonic Nurse also excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

tool-lateralus.....WITHOUT A DOUBT

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I like the scissors sisters cover, I actually prefer It to the original. Good album too.

The Franz Ferdinand album was brilliant , very 'paint by numbers' but still really good.

Listening to Razorlights album ... seems quite good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    tool-lateralus.....WITHOUT A DOUBT

try 2001. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Dr Loon, u think of one of your favourite bands. If a cover was done of one of their best songs (very badly I might add), wouldn't u be p*ssed!?

Not really... but I wouldn't write the rest of the bands material off as shíte based on a bad cover version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Comfortably Numb was an original song by Scissor Sisters, people would absolutely love it. But because they're revamping a classic by a hugely succcessful and much-loved 'serious' (though that's arguable!) band, everyone gets all stuck up and elitest about it.

Get over yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Interpol - Antics sounds very good all right.
    Joy Zipper - American Whip
    Snow Patrol - Final Straw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

is antics out yet??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by sikes
    is antics out yet??
    Not entirely ;)

I believe the official release date is sometime in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

mmm * me off to irc *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

At the risk of being totally unfashionable, I've just bought Morrissey's new album and it actually sounds great. Must also pick up Prince's new one too - roll on the 1980s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The words Morrissey and unfashionable don't go together in the same sentance.
    Anyway, my favourite albums so far are
    Hope of the States - Lost Riots
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    and Interpol - Antics.

Beastie Boys - To the 5 Bouroughs is also pretty Fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Keane - Hopes and fears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Incubus- a crow left of the murder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

album of the year? I'm sorry, has to be albumS of the year:

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse (far better then their previous few albums)
    Einstuerzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile
    PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
    Throbbing Gristle - Now
    Neurosis & Jarboe - Neurosis & Jarboe
    Michael Gira - I Am Singing To You From My Room

Of course there are others that are not as good but worth a mention such as Morrissey, Amen, all the Tindersticks re-releases, Hafler Trio and Merzbow.

Biggest disappointment was that new Lou Reed live album. There are a few great tracks on it but most of it was fairly rubbish. The gig he did at the Helix was better because he talked less crap through it. The vocalist he had with him, Antony, is amazing. Best version of Candy Says yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah the Sonic Youth album is excellent (except for the that Arthur Conan Doyle Handcream track)

Two other contenders are:

Wilco - A Ghost is Born
    DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Product Placement (live CD with the DVD)

Advertisement