Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerous Driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barry Gorman

I hope that garda does throw the book at you. Its idiots like you who are to blame for the carnage on the roads today. Very mature of you to give him the finger too. I'm delighted that a few clowns like you do get caught.

Thinking your great on the road in your suped up micra.

Stay off the road, would be a much safer place if you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

lol Barry,

you knowI don't drive a souped Mira like your souped up Jeep. Chat later out in Porto at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Sleipnir

quote:

Originally posted by GavinKeller
    As he passed I noticed he was in a Garda uniform!!

[/B]

Yeah yeah Sleipnir, I was using the jeans/t-shirt as an example. I know he said the guy had a uniform, but if you want to be pedantic the uniform could just as easily have been an angry fireman in a rush to a fireman's ball or something. Quit nit-picking will ya.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You know how you can see how a threads decending slowly but surely into bad tempered anarchy? Well I think this ones going that way, so I'm taking the liberty of locking it.

GavinKeller when you have news of your fate you can start a new thread or PM me (or Borzoi) and I'll re-open this one.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Just to let everyone know! I haven't heard anything more since that day I was stopped so I guess it was just the Garda giving me a hard time for giving him the finger! :D

So remember next time someone flashes their car lights at you for no reason think twice before giving him the finger!! ;)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

seamus wrote:
    As people say, Gardai tend to like to get the ****s up you, <snip> He's professional.
    Aren't these two traits of character mutually exclusive?

I've never been pulled by the Gardai over here, but have been pulled over by British, German, Dutch and Belgian police in the course of my driving career for various minor infringements (speeding on motorways mostly) and they have always been the very model of politeness and professionalism.

Reading this board though, I get the idea that the Gardai are on some sort of power trip when they stop motorists and seem to want to act as judge, jury and executioner all at the same time, and seem to think that using abusive language is perfectly acceptable. Is this a correct reading of the situation, and is it ever likely to change do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alun wrote:
    Aren't these two traits of character mutually exclusive?
    Not necessarily, but seeing as I don't even remember making that post over 6 months ago, I don't have to defend it. :)

I blame the person who bumped the thread in the first place :)

But it's still a valid question, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alun wrote:
    I blame the person who bumped the thread in the first place :)

But it's still a valid question, no?
    Of course it is. I actually like the freedom of discretion Gardai are given in their job. If the Garda decides it serves a better purpose to just scare the bejaysus out of some guy, rather than do him for a stupid mistake, then he should be allowed make that call, instead of doing it "by the book". It does allow for a certain amount of corruption, but IMO it also allows for a much fairer style of policing.

Remember that we're still a tiny country. Take any two random Irish people and it would be rare that you couldn't find some other Irish person they know or have met. This style of community, "each case" policing is a much better system in a country of our size IMO.

I would consider the guy who uses his experience to make a judgement call much more professional than the guy who just follows the code, line-by-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    If the Garda decides it serves a better purpose to just scare the bejaysus out of some guy, rather than do him for a stupid mistake, then he should be allowed make that call

It worked. Gavinkeller will never do it again :)

• Advertisement

True, but you can "scare the bejaysus" out of some one without screaming and shouting and using abusive language ... that's what I was referring to. In many of the cases I was referring to when I was stopped, I also just got off with a stern talking to and a warning, rather than a fine or whatever, without a swear word or them raising their voice. Perhaps because if they did, they know that that they'd get reported for it, and rightly so IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I agree that I should not have given him the finger. It was in the heat off the moment. I didn't think that came under dangeruos driving though. I'm sure most of us have at sometime said f-off or given someone the finger in the heat of the moment.

See, this is why I am of the opinion that alot of Irish drivers are crap, ignorant, inconsiderate w@ankers, men and women alike - they just don't bother with the grey matter when taking chances, or regards what their particular mood can have an effect on other drivers.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Seanie M wrote:
    See, this is why I am of the opinion that alot of Irish drivers are crap, ignorant, inconsiderate w@ankers, men and women alike - they just don't bother with the grey matter when taking chances, or regards what their particular mood can have an effect on other drivers.

Seanie.

Seanie M I think you should use your little bit of grey matter.

If he was doing Dangerous Driving and after giving the Garda the finger you think he thought to himself "Ah, he's a nice bloke I'll let him off the Dangerous Driving charge"

No crime was committed or he would have been prosecuted, simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

this has happened to me a few time under similar circumstances, and have seen it happen to numerious others.

As far as i can remember, correct me if i am worng, a garda cannot proscute you at the side of the road. They issue you a warnign that they intend to investigate you for dangrous driving?

Basically just drop in you license and insurance, get a reciept that you have done so, plus the name and number of idiot in blue that takes it.

Remember the next time do not keep your hands on the wheel, use the circle and finger motion next time, more apt!

There is nothing that is going to happen, these guys are just on a power trip. Just make sure the next time they are 'appealing for information' or require your help in any way make sure you remember this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I've always wondered - can a cop chase you down and pull you over in his/her own private car? Surely not.

Advertisement