Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam vs Merrion - recommendation needed

Options
  • 14-07-2004 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all

I'm planning a visit to one or the other in a couple of weeks time and I'm looking for some advice on choosing the best overall experience. My criteria for choice are:

must be a weeknight - Monday to Thursday, maybe Friday (if its REALLY special)
    must NOT be a satellite - I might not be able to make it for the next tourney
    buy-in - 50 euros absolute maximum, registration under 5 euros
    good, friendly atmosphere

Seen quite a few comments on the Fitz on here but not so many on the Merrion. Also, wondering how many of the folk on here that seem to frequent the Fitz play at the Merrion also?

I imagine this may get a few contraversial replies, but I'm genuinely interested.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Have a look through this thread. But it's a little biased towards the fitz, outside of pokertroll's rather outspoken comments. With any luck this thread won't be quite as argumentative.

Tourneys in the fitz & the merrion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I play both, and quite like each of them, although I'm biased towards the fitz, what with being one of their employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Hi Median,

There isn't really much difference between the 2 clubs. The Merrion has been established for quite a few years. The Fitz is a newcomer on the scene as it only opened its doors about a year ago. I personally prefer the Merrion but do play in the Fitz a bit (Excellent monday night game). You will find that most of the boardsters prefer the Fitz, but you generally get the same core players in both clubs.

Mon -Merrion freeroll (9PM), Fitz 100 Euro (9PM)
    Tues -Merrion 100 Euro (9PM), Fitz 5 card Grannie game?
    Wed -Merrion 20 Euro+rebuys 90 min (9PM), Fitz 20 Euro+rebuys 90 min (9PM)
    Thurs -Fitz freeroll (9PM)
    Fri -Merrion 25 Euro+ rebuys 90 min (9PM), Fitz 50 Euro+1 rebuy/topup (9PM)
    Sat -Fitz Holdem/Omaha (20 Euro?)
    Sun -Merrion 15 Euro+ rebuys 90 min (8PM), Fitz 20 Euro+rebuys 90 min (9PM)

There was a heated discussion quite recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159662

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Highly recommend the €100 Monday freezeout game in the Fitz, and the €50+€50 Friday game in the Fitz. Haven't played the equivalent tournies in the Merrion. Great standard of play and no rebuy madness. Worth the extra €50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

And please lets not forget our monthly €50 freezeout the first Monday of the month in the Merrion.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by MrPudding
    And please lets not forget our monthly €50 freezeout the first Monday of the month in the Merrion.
    *cough* pimpage *cough* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Median

Wondered about the Monday 100 euro freezeout but not sure if I can run to that much, we'll have to see.

Here's one for you regulars at either establishment - If I actually entered a satellite and (somehow miraculously :D)got placed would I be allowed to sell the seat on if I can't make the tourney (and would anyone buy it?)?

Read the thread that was suggested - thanks henbane and pokertroll. Here's hoping this one doesn't go the same way or else who knows what sort of reception I'd get at the Fitz OR the Merrion :D

Originally posted by Median
    Wondered about the Monday 100 euro freezeout but not sure if I can run to that much, we'll have to see.

Which is exactly why our €50 freezeout is soooo cool.

MrP

Sounds good - just a shame that it is likey to be anytime EXCEPT the first Monday lol

If I might trouble you for some further advice...

I see that the Fitz is no smoking at the tables... what about the Merrion? Also, is it just at the tables or is it the whole club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Both are places of work so smoking is not allowed.

The Merrion provide a marquee out the the back with decking and seating for the smokers.

The fitz have no such facility so you can smoke outside the entrance

• Advertisement

Both are places of work so smoking is not allowed.

DUH

Of course they are. How easy it is to forget

One more question (for now)... What's parking like around each one?

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated.

There is a reasonable amount of parking around each. It is pay and display up to 1900. You shouldn't be there that early so it should be free.

MrP

Advertisement