Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona

• 14-07-2004 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Going in September for five days, will obviously see the Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, Parc Guell etc. etc. - have heard mixed reports on the day trip to Monserrat, anyone done this?

Any other suggestions of places to go/avoid etc? Also, I have tourist level Spanish, i.e. a few phrases, and no Catalan, will I be able to get by OK?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

was there for a weekend in February , half the people started drinkin when we got there and stopped the day after we got home,Drink is amazingly cheap and most nightclubs include drinks in ur entrance fee.
    The architecture is amazing.The market on les rables on sundays is cool they had lizards and lovely hand made stuff.
    I didnt make it to any of the concerts or all of the museums but the concert hall is well worth a visit even just to see and the same goes for the museums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

The Neucamp full tour...it's pretty impressive. Got a proper museum attacahed.
    And the usual city bus tour hop-on hop-off round-tour to see the architecture and harbour.

Enjoy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

I have tourist level Spanish, i.e. a few phrases, and no Catalan, will I be able to get by OK?
    I think you will :) ... Catalans are nice people in general, and they will not expect you to speak or understand Catalan, especially if you are not even Spanish. As a rule they will talk to you in Spanish, and even perhaps try to practise their English with you... ;)

I have never been to Barcelona, but the Casa Batlló is said to be impressive. I have seen pictures and I would certainly put it on top of the list. Definitely try to find out if it is still open for visits. Then of course, there is the Forum, (exhibitions, lectures, music...) but I have heard different opinions and I don't know if it is worth your while. Perhaps you might try to find out what's on when you are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

In my experience, Barcelona is such a tourist hotspot with the Americans that most people there speak English anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I was in Barcelona last year for a few days, really nice place. Take a day trip via the train to Taragonna, a town with extensive and cool Roman ruins (including a nice little amphitheatre) about 1 1/2 hours south of Barcelona. City metro is very easy to use but look out for pickpockets. Don't eat at any of the tourist traps on Las Ramblas, bad food (I thought) and inflated prices. I don't have any Spanish and got along fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Was there two years ago. I travelled up the coast to see the Dalí Museum in Figueres. Other than that all the usual places tourist places are great. very friendly city and very easy to get around. The trains are great. I've heard that theres also a great museum of military stuff (WWII etc) in the castle of Montjuich which over looks the town. I didn't get there though. Maritime Museum is meant to be good too.

http://www.ihes.com/bcn/spanish/barcelona/maritime_museum.html

http://www.bcninternet.com/touristinfo.php?contentid=155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I went to that castle in Montjuic this year. You need to get the cable cars up to it, and that's quite fun. The museum is a bit **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Monserat was one of the highlights for me it was fricking amazing and a great way to spend a day. You use both Veniculars and cable cars so just for the novelty of that alone. At the monestry get the venicular up from there to the mountain top and then walk back down to the monestry. (Takes less than 1 hour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

The cable car up to Montjuic is well worth it just for the views, don't bother with the museum though.
    Bring some food for a picnic while you're there, the views of the harbour and city are amazing.

Most people there have at least basic english. A few phrases, and knowing how to count will get you by no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

The only bad thing about Barcelona is the pickpockets. Every day walking about I over heard someone talking about how they'd just been robbed. The night buses are notoriously bad for it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by drane2
    I went to that castle in Montjuic this year. You need to get the cable cars up to it, and that's quite fun. The museum is a bit **** though.

Whats in the museum and why do you think its so bad?

Originally posted by Von
    The only bad thing about Barcelona is the pickpockets. Every day walking about I over heard someone talking about how they'd just been robbed. The night buses are notoriously bad for it.

Yeah good point. Its world reknown for its pickpockets.

Advertisement