Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Widescreen TV help.

Options
  • 14-07-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Interested in a 32 inch.

500-600 euro,for a basic Direct View Tube.

UK stocks TV'S with flat tubes,at about the same price.

Has anybody had experience with the Philips 32 inch...Has it got 2 scarts?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I would imagine that almost every 32" TV would have at least 2 scarts. Quite a few of them would have 3 of them.

I have a Sony KV32FX68 set and can highly recommend it although it is above your budget (mine was €999). It is a 100Hz, flat screen, has 3 scarts (2 of which are RGB) and hasn't given me any trouble since I got it (Feb).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Travis Bickle

There was no mention of SCART on the ESB book,i was just wondering.
    What's RGB?.
    What's the difference of an RGB scart from a scart?.

I have seen some 100Hz displays and,haven't been too impressed.
    Plus it's just a starter tv...

TV'S are naturally 50Hz,flat tube displays should add to that,right.

I am more concerned with sound,than display.
    As a system comes next to connect up to it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Travis Bickle
    Has anybody had experience with the Philips 32 inch...Has it got 2 scarts?.

It depends on the model.

I have a Philips 32PW9617, which has four scarts, two of which are RGB, but my TV cost around €2000.00, but I would imagine 2 scart sockets is the minimum, even on the cheapy models.
    I would definitely recommend Philips as a brand.
    Where were you thinking of buying your TV?

not many BIG shops around...

Maybe Floor Griffin,ESB..or else from UK.

Philips are respected alot in the UK,for some reason.Not as much,here.

There was no mention of SCART on the ESB book,i was just wondering.
    What's RGB?.
    What's the difference of an RGB scart from a scart?.

An RGB enabled scart socket provides a better quality picturce. Usually if a TV set has 2 scart sockets then only one is RGB enabled.
    I am more concerned with sound,than display.
    As a system comes next to connect up to it.

If you are getting a seperate sound system to set up for listening to TV the only thing that the TV set has to have is a set of phono outputs at the back. Every stereo TV set that I have ever seen has these so you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Audio is fine,i know an amp has S video,and doesn't need a scart.

For connecting up a sky digital box,Do you need an RGB scart,is it essential for picture quality?.

I'd need two RGBS,in that case...

1.Dvd System
    2.Digital Box

Would you reccommend a 3 scart,2RGB??

What sort of tv,would offer 3 scart,2 RGB?

It is not essential but obviously you want the best possible picture from both the DVD and the Sky box.

Does the DVD player have one or two scart sockets? If it has two then you can loop through the RGB signal and you'll only need one RGB socket, if not then I'd try and get a TV set with 2 RGB scarts.

It's a balancing act between budget and overall picture quality. :)

You can get a box,to insert a couple of scarts?and output to one RGB scart.
    Great stuff..

That would be the best bet i guess.

And get a 2 scart television.Save on budget.

I have tried a quality scart lead,alreaDY..THOR..
    and the picture is better.

Do old televisions,lets say portables....have RGB?.They only have one scart socket.
    Would you know?

My expectations for RGB could be mouth watering,if what i am viewing now..is just plain scart.

I can sit down and watch a crumply video,for a few hours..
    But every website tells you to have perfect picture,for a home system...feck the expense!

Are they getting too carried away?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You would be better to pass the Sky signal through the DVD player. I think the quality is better this way than if you use a multi block. I also recommend a good scart cable. I scored 2 QED RGB only uni-directional cables, very nice.

The fact that your amp has s-video doesn’t matter. Unless you have a high end amp you will not be able to input one type of signal and output another. To keep things simple just put the video from your Sky & DVD directly to your TV’s SCART or SCARTS and then just put the audio through the amp.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

1 am looking for a 32" 100hz with about €1200 to spend. What could I get for this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

sony are doing some good package deals at the moment - 32" widescreen with 'free' DVD player and video.... peats have them in.

Can't see it on the site, guess i'll have to visit the bricks and mortar

Hang on, I was looking on Peats site. I found it on sonycentres.ie, wonder what that surround system is like, bound to be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good widescreen tv for my room, but I have some restrictions. The only place I can put it is on a desk which is 17 inches long, although width is not a problem. At the moment I have a 17 inch wide Philips LCD screen there but I find it's just too small. I paid E999 for it, as it was the largest I could get on my budget.

However, I would really like a 28-32 inch widescreen TV, preferably non-LCD (as they're too expensive) which is only 17 or 18 inches long. Can anyone recommend me one or know of any models with this length?

Help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    sony are doing some good package deals at the moment - 32" widescreen with 'free' DVD player and video.... peats have them in.

This looks like quite a good deal. The DAVSA30 is entry level but quite a good spec. the TV is not bad but I don't like sony's CRT range. Philips is better value for money. check it out here

The TV is approx. 30 inches long I doubt you would get a 28/32" screen in a cabinet 17/18" wide.

Advertisement