Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car motor tax

Options
  • 14-07-2004 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Motor tax for "Veteran and Vintage" is EUR 42 pa

How many years old must a car be?
    Is the size of the engine irrelevant?

Is this a good loophole type way of getting cheaper motor tax (and insurance) or am I getting too excited?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

It's something like 30-35 years old...neighbour has one of those inspector Morse Jags and i think he gets cheapo tax on it.

don't think the engine size matters....as cars that old don't really run on petrol, rather they have very small children inside them running on treadmills as everybody knows...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

you're getting too excited.

Classic car policies require that you already have another 'normal' car insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

as cars that old don't really run on petrol, rather they have very small children inside them running on treadmills as everybody knows...
    And the petrol is only used to creat a toxic leaded smog that is spewed out behind them to give the child motivation to run faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Classic car tax is 30 years plus. As for insurance just get a standard policy. After all if you only spend 40 euro on tax think how much you'll have for insurance!

Only problem is running a 30+ year old car as an everyday run-about, they tend to break down and require spares that you have to import.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They also require more expensive fuel.

If you were to get classic insurance (which would require having another car) it would more than likely only be for a very limited milage per year.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    They also require more expensive fuel.

True, many will have lead free heads but equally most prolly don't.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Classic car tax is €42, VRT for importing a classic is €50 ...but (from experience) the maintenance costs make up for any savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I really don't know where the idea of maintenance being more expensive comes from. So long as you start with a older car which has been properly maintained it isn't a big problem. On all the older cars I've owned over the years, I don't seem to spend anymore on repairs and maintenance than friends with new cars.

Don't forget too that with an older "classic" you more likely to be able to carry out a lot of the work yourself. Modern engine management systems make home servicing darned-near impossible on the latest cars.

And besides, if I were in Ireland with your exorbitant tax rates on larger engines, I'd sooner spend the money on maintenance on my car than just hand it over to the vultures in government anyway. :D

By the way, on the fuel issue Millers VSP comes pretty well recommended as an additive to use with unleaded gas on older engines (that have not been modified with hardened valve seats etc.) I've used it myself and not had any problems with it.

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    I really don't know where the idea of maintenance being more expensive comes from. So long as you start with a older car which has been properly maintained it isn't a big problem. On all the older cars I've owned over the years, I don't seem to spend anymore on repairs and maintenance than friends with new cars.

Don't forget too that with an older "classic" you more likely to be able to carry out a lot of the work yourself. Modern engine management systems make home servicing darned-near impossible on the latest cars...

By the way, on the fuel issue Millers VSP comes pretty well recommended as an additive to use with unleaded gas on older engines (that have not been modified with hardened valve seats etc.) I've used it myself and not had any problems with it.

Your right about spanner/screwdiver twisting on old cars my concern would be when parts go bad for good, in the UK there are big networks for popular classics like old Rovers and Alfas, none at all here so it could be a bit fiddly getting parts quickly hence no much good as your only car. Part of me wants to rush out and buy a P6 3500 but I keep the feeling in check!

Also old cars here are very rarely looked after (only a few classic buffs around) so finding a well looked after model means UK import anyway.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Part of me wants to rush out and buy a P6 3500 but I keep the feeling in check!
    Haha, great minds think alike. Only today I was thinking how I'd love a P6. Very nice car with the V8 engine also a very advanced design for its day (way ahead of most of its competitors when introduced in the early sixties) Other classic saloons that I'd consider buying would be the MK1 Granada, Jag XJ Series 1, Jag 420G, Wolseley 6/110, Rover P5B and lots of others :)

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Carole nash consider a classic to be 21 years old or more
    http://www.carolenash.com/eire.shtml
    Classic policies generally have limited milage stipulations attached

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement