Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

poor wireless connection

• 14-07-2004 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

im at a friends house and his wireless access point is down stairs
    im upstairs and am getting a fairly poor signal
    signal strength 34% quality 20%
    lan games locks up net dosnt work all the time
    iv tried moving the access point around as much as i can downstairs but this is the best i can get it
    is there any cheap easy way to boost the signal just a bit so its more stable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

as far as I understand, wireless gear should work better if the access point is upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well the phoneline for adsl is downstairs thats why the access point is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Err..

You could be getting interference. Try changing the wireless channel you're using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

You could try putting a mirror, or a sheet of tin foil, underneath the access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

Originally posted by Err..
    You could be getting interference. Try changing the wireless channel you're using.

Try Err..'s suggestion, same issue for me on channel 7, changed access point to channel 11 and it flies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check the orientation of the antennas - the radiation comes of the sides of the antenna - not much comes off the top. - try with the antenna horizontal and aligned along the short axis of the house.

ok thanks for all the ideas so far
    i have changed the channel and although the signal strength is still weak it has stopped cutting out
    i will try the other stuff later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Stephen
    as far as I understand, wireless gear should work better if the access point is upstairs.

The idea here is to minimise the thickness of walls, floors, etc that the signal has to go through, so if you place it upstairs and access it downstairs or vice versa you could be cutting it down to one floor (wood) and one ceiling (plasterboard), whereas accessing our AP from another room on the same level could involve concrete wall(s) or possibly even foil-lined insulation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Put on a tinfoil hat.

Originally posted by kmick
    Put on a tinfoil hat.

will this stop the martions from reading my mind?

iv seen the pringles can mod for increasing los range
    is there a mod for increasing no los range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

you'd be suprised how easy it is to reflect 802.11b radio
    waves

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Advertisement