Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the next 5 years

Options
  • 14-07-2004 5:18pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like Ireland is fiiiiiiiiiinally getting treated better with regards to broadband. (still room for improvement). However, am I the only one who feels that this is going to be short lived. Will we still be stuck with a 512kb/ **** cap service, when the rest of europe has 20meg lines . In my opinion it's a bit like when the 1 cent a minute dial up services were introduced. Eircom saw no need to improve internet infastrucure because they were getting enough money. And similarily, if every1 subscribes to BB, Eircom are not the type to spend money upgrading. Still though, this is all 3 years away, enjoy it while we still can :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

And the point of this link was.....? afaics its just bog standard 512/128 adsl.

Any as regards to having 20meg links - whats the killer app? Only thing that I can think of that could possibly demand that kind of bandwidth would be tv on demand.

You've probably hit the nail on the head with regards to eircom tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the other problem i see is that eircom are unwilling to repair lines to take broadband and seem unable to push out the distance limit (they'd argue that this is a new technnology i'm sure) but with BT talking about pushing out to 10km from the exchange rather than the poxy 3.5km that eircom have saddled us with, i'm right on the limit of the 3.5k but the line starts failing at houses about 2k from the exchange (line upgrades are rumoured as eircom surveyors have been seen) i try and run my business at from home and broadband would chnage the way i work)
    even the current modems will work upto 8meg so it would be nice to see some of that capability being used.
    the depressing fact is i can't see eircom or anyone doing it yet because the regulator doesn't want to kick them all in the b*lls and regulate them to provide minimum connections faster than whats currently avavilable. i don't see us moving from this position in the near future but at present i just want broadband.

Advertisement