Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband offer

• 14-07-2004 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

got post today saying NTL have broadband in my area D.12 and the first 3months are free plus free install so i rang them and they said they would put in a point wherever my PC is but it said on brochure that its fitted by a thrid party installer now i dont want holes drilled everywhere in walls and house to get to my Pc,so im wondering if i just get the main whatever they install in my sitting room is it possible to get a wireless router/adsl modem..what would i need...

Now i know they are offering free modem as well but what do u think.....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I have NTL broadband. They'll have to put an extra point in anyway, because they need to take a new cable drop from the front of your house for it. You might as well get the point put in beside the computer. The "third party crews" have been doing this stuff for years, its a company NTL have a contract with for all their installs (I think they do digital TV installs too). they were very clean and effecient when they did my install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@maxheadroom

how u do find NTL in general with the broadband?....what package u go for yourself?
    imagine 30gig a month ur allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

or the unlimted downloads you could get with NTL... the 1gig "cap" is just a recommendation, not a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by mad m
    how u do find NTL in general with the broadband?....what package u go for yourself?
    imagine 30gig a month ur allowed

I'm on the 600kbps package (the one that's about to be upgraded to 750kbsp), and its great. Pings are low (if you're into online gaming, I'm not), download speeds are constantly high. The only thing is the upload is low(128kbps), but it'd be the same on DSL, and you get 256 upload on the highest package.

The download "cap" is only a guide, they'll contact you and ask you to slow down a bit if you're constantly downloading more than 1 GB a day and its affecting performance on your network segment. I don't know if its actually happened in Ireland yet.

In general its great, some annoying niggles like the fact that email has been spotty for the past while, and you just have to wait for the techs in the UK to fix it.

For more details on speeds and pings, search some of my older posts to this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Don't suppose this is available in the Dublin 3 area is it? Their website is out-of-date I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Here is a link to NTL's broadband checker

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/

P.S. Don't credit me for this. This link was posted by Gerard Keating at this link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=173339

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

I've just tried with my account and no joy...
    I live in Clontarf, Dublin 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

is this Dublin only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by SyxPak
    is this Dublin only?

Pretty much... but by all means try it anyway...

If they have half a brain, they will log the requests to get a falvour of the regional demand.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They have no way of logging the demand as there is nothing to register interest in broadband if your in an area thats not enabled for it. The last phone muppet I rang in there said he took my number so I could get a call about it when its available but I won't hold my breathe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Seems like they have changed their prices from the last time I looked at the site. The 750Kbps option was 30 yo yos and now its 35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by spanner_head
    Seems like they have changed their prices from the last time I looked at the site. The 750Kbps option was 30 yo yos and now its 35.
    Well they're upping the speeds, which is probably why the price is going up.
    300kbps (up from 150?) for €25
    750kbps (up from 600) for €35
    1.5Mbps (up from 1-1.2?) for €50

Brilliantly spread out packages, nicely encompassing light, medium and heavy home users, at reasonable prices.
    We got a letter in yesterday telling us it was available (when it wasn't 6 months ago), so I'm guessing this speed increase is probably something to do with either an upgrade in quality, or a lowering of requirements to get cable. And, yes, indeed I will be getting it \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

The prices are coming down not going up. I am in Lucan and when I got the service the 150K was €30 and the 600K was €40. Not sure what the 1MB was. So the speeds are going up and the prices are coming down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Anyone know if its available in dublin 15 yet?

Originally posted by Repli
    If you have your account number handy, you can check availablility online.
    Go to
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/

I'm not sure how reliable or accurate that availability indicator is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Repli
    Call them on 1800 234 234 and ask them. I can't get it... ...yet.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Dont have my a/c number handy ill ring them later today
    oneweb where abouts are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Originally posted by seamus
    We got a letter in yesterday telling us it was available (when it wasn't 6 months ago...

Are you in Lucan by any chance?
    I rang about ~Dun Laoghaire and the girl admitted they had no information whatsoever about where's being upgraded so far (so eircom couldn't get any tips) and that the only way you'll find out you're upgraded at the moment is if you get a letter in the door.

Anyone know any insider info on what part of the city might be next? Or will it just expand street by street from Tallaght/Lucan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I've just ordered the 750kbps connection today & it's due for install in august on the 10th of August. (Tallaght D24 here)

Can't wait :D

Originally posted by Emerson
    Are you in Lucan by any chance?
    Technically yeah. In the part that Liam Lawlor had rezoned as Lucan instead of Clondalkin....so for a lot of our services, we get treated as being in Clondalkin.
    I've just ordered the 750kbps connection today & it's due for install in august on the 10th of August. (Tallaght D24 here)
    Is that the standard amount of time it takes, or just the only time you were available? Seems like a long time.

I put in an order online last night, and haven't heard anything, so if they don't ring tomorrow, I'm going to ring them. I'm dying to get it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by seamus
    Is that the standard amount of time it takes, or just the only time you were available? Seems like a long time.

Not sure really, that was just the earliest date availbale (so the guy from sales said), he did say he'd call if there were any cancellations etc. to get me a quicker time though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm just after getting a letter from NTl there today. its quite confusing now.

"Dear mr x,
    We have just compleate an audit on the accounts of thecustomers who subscribe to ntl's internet service. We have found that you are currently being billed for both ntl's dial-up and 'broadband' internet services, however you do not appear to have used the dial-up service since broadband was install for you. There for we assume you do not require this service and have arranged a credit on your ntl account of the €15 monthly charge associated with the dial-up service from the date broadban was installed.
    The credit ammount due to you is €39, this has been applied to your account to offset against the ammount currently owed to ntl.

Now what I don't quite get is 1) the dial-up service was free because I was on the 2 way network I though.
    2) I've have broadband for nearly 2 years now. but I upgraded the connection from 600k to 1meg about 2 months ago, would they be talking about this?

3) the 1meg connection now costs me less than the 600k connection(used to cost me 40month, now this costs me 35)

Now should I ring them up, see if I am entitled to all of my charge of €15 of the past 24 months of my cable? or should I stay quiet as I am being charged less now for the higher rate of bb

@lenny

oh i dont know lenny......same sorta thing happened with me but was the tax man...i said to wife dont ring them and ofcourse she didnt listen to me,so i ended up owing them over 200euro plus im down 14 euro in wages but wife ended up getting 60 more......conspiracy i hear u say about wife?...i totally agree with u.....if ur getting cheaper now they might cop it later on down the road and ull be billed for it,so it might be better to ring them....

goodluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    The download "cap" is only a guide, they'll contact you and ask you to slow down a bit if you're constantly downloading more than 1 GB a day

What cap? No mention of a cap in the contract I signed over a year ago

Did a wee stress test at the time and downloaded 100GB in 5 weeks :)

Upgraded from 600kbps (€40/mth) to 1000kbps (€50/mth) as soon as it became available

The uptime and download speeds are excellent and contention... what contention? Always get the full speed

Having uttered all that praise, even though NTL offer a great service in this country compared to the competition, it is many years behind compared to countries not as backward as this third world country, like modern western countries like Tunesia :rolleyes:

Originally posted by unkel

Did a wee stress test at the time and downloaded 100GB in 5 weeks :):

haha....well post from ntl i got and in the small print it said 30gig a month.....

Originally posted by mad m
    haha....well post from ntl i got and in the small print it said 30gig a month.....
    Yeah, same here. Ordered today. The girl on the phone knew we had just received a letter saying we could get it, so obviously they're tracking the effectiveness of the notices and/or they in sales know who's just been upgraded.

Got an install date for 13th August, the last one available that week, so obviously there's huge interest, and they're barely keeping up with demand.

"The Irish people aren't interested in the Internet". Nice one eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

How are the pings like with NTL? Are they now avaible for Dublin City Centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

Got an install date for 13th August, the last one available that week, so obviously there's huge interest, and they're barely keeping up with demand.

The uptake must be amazing. I ordered on the 12th of July and had it installed on the 17th.

Got the highest package (1.5Mb) but it's only running at 1Mb until the end of August. Still though, having used dialup for years, I'm finding all the spare time great. No more spending hours just to download a few meg. Pings are pretty good IMO (although I'm not a gamer). In or around an average of 38ms to www.boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

neokenzo

I think this might be cover above in a sticky...

Anyway from memory (am in work right now)

20 - 40 to most UK game servers (jolt)
    30 - 50 to Irish servers (boards)

I game most days, do a little P2P file sharing and Xbox Live, and NTL has worked perfectly.

I am very interest to see how the impending roleout will effect latency, contention and the NTL service in general. Up to now it has been great but they have been operating well under capacity...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement