Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband offer

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    as the 1mb line is going up to 1.5mb..... is the price going up to?

Im on a 1mb at the mo and I cant remember what I am paying.
    Just go to www.ntl.ie and click on that little "broadband internet" link at the bottom of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Thats true Wookie. So far they have not been operating at full capacity. Would be interested to see the effects if they operate at full capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

anyone who can get it count yourself lucky!

i live in lucan and decided to ring them , gave all my details, account number ect, and they say....... no

following is a transcript
    me: why?
    NTL: sure you get your tv through our mmds service, you know the ariel on your roof?
    me:eh we havent had that in over 11 years, are you kidding me.
    NTL:[confirms details] no no no you have an ariel on your roof, it says so on my computer
    me:i think i know whats on my roof,there is no ariel also i have digital tv off you too which you cant get through mmds
    NTL:hmm well you have an ariel
    ::click::

11 year old informaion well i never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by flameboy
    anyone who can get it count yourself lucky!

i live in lucan and decided to ring them , gave all my details, account number ect, and they say....... no

following is a transcript
    me: why?
    NTL: sure you get your tv through our mmds service, you know the ariel on your roof?
    me:eh we havent had that in over 11 years, are you kidding me.
    NTL:[confirms details] no no no you have an ariel on your roof, it says so on my computer
    me:i think i know whats on my roof,there is no ariel also i have digital tv off you too which you cant get through mmds
    NTL:hmm well you have an ariel
    ::click::

11 year old informaion well i never

follow them up on this, have the information formally queried, get them to send an engineer out to physically check your availability (I had to do all of these things because they thought my house was somewhere else :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

@maxheadroom

i know the feeling, it took a long time to even convince them i lived in lucan when we got the digital tv, they thought we were somewhere else compleatly,

sigh, why cant life be simple and without problems

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    as the 1mb line is going up to 1.5mb..... is the price going up to?

Im on a 1mb at the mo and I cant remember what I am paying.

they're upgrading all their connections,
    1meg becomes 1.5
    600 becomes 750
    150 becomes 300

prices are staying the same
    the 1meg(1.5) costs 50 a month

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    follow them up on this, have the information formally queried, get them to send an engineer out to physically check your availability (I had to do all of these things because they thought my house was somewhere else :rolleyes: )

It is always worth threatening them with Comreg.

In fact if you ring Comreg particularly with something as ridiculous as this you will find that they have someone there who liaises with NTL unofficially on various issues and that will get a response from NTL for you. I speak from experience and even though the matter was not strictly a comreg issue it worked for me and the girl in Comreg was exceptionally helpful.

NTL must have one of the worst customer services in the universe! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

what i don't understand is why they don't tell their customers when they will be upgraded to recieve cable bb? they say that it is to prevent eircom from promoting bb in those areas before they launch but as it is, they will only tell if you can receive it is by putting in your ntl a/c number in the form on their webpage or ringing up with it. i know not everybody has an a/c with ntl but this would be few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

It's obviously bollocks because Eircom has already rolled out ADSL in every area NTL is going to cover. I suspect it's because NTL will rollout a lot slower than what they're marketing hype is implying, so they're hoping to keep people away from other choices. I can't think of any other logical reason, assuming NTL applies logic to anything they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Da Man
    It's obviously bollocks because Eircom has already rolled out ADSL in every area NTL is going to cover. I suspect it's because NTL will rollout a lot slower than what they're marketing hype is implying, so they're hoping to keep people away from other choices. I can't think of any other logical reason, assuming NTL applies logic to anything they do.
    Well, it may not be total bollox. NTL have the benefit that if their service is available in an area, then most if not all subscribers will be able to avail of it. Eircom have a disastrously high line failure rate, so NTL may be worried that if Eircom find out that a rollout is about to occur in an area, then eircom will go out of their way to begin passing lines (I originally spelt that "lies" - faux pas, or freudian slip? ;)) in order to sign people up.

• Advertisement

Probably not much point in speculating about it, but I could never really understand why Eircom don't just fix poor lines. If they don't fix lines, they can't sell services. It seems they have decided that it makes business sense to not sell services, so it's difficult to see what NTL's entry on the scene would do to change that attitude. It's also quite evident that eircom's line test is too stringent so if they really cared they could lower the critiera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Da Man
    Probably not much point in speculating about it, but I could never really understand why Eircom don't just fix poor lines.
    They're still making handsome amounts on per-minute users, FRIACO users and ISDN users. Businesses in particular, if they can't get DSL, will either sign up for ISDN, or shock, horror get a leased line.
    If ISDN is 4 times slower than DSL, then they must stay connected 4 times longer to get their business done (well, bit of a red herring since DSL is always-on, but the principle is sound).

Wait until they have their download cap billing set up and they've tweaked the charges to get the most money out of it. Then you'll see them signing up everyone and their uncle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by seamus
    Wait until they have their download cap billing set up and they've tweaked the charges to get the most money out of it. Then you'll see them signing up everyone and their uncle.

I wonder though what percentage of people are actually big downloaders and would those who are big into downloading not head for isps with bigger caps?

I would hazard a guess that packet switched data services are more profitable than circuit switched data services. If you can sell the same 512k bandwidth 48 times at €30 a month or whatever you're looking at some pretty healthy margins I would have thought. Otherwise telco's the world over wouldn't have invested in broadband technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Originally posted by flameboy

i know the feeling, it took a long time to even convince them i lived in lucan when we got the digital tv, they thought we were somewhere else compleatly,

I know the feeling - an NTL Support person once told me that my house "did not exist”

“Number 35 and 37 exist sir, but 36 does not – are you sure you live in 36?”

does anyone know when Broadband is coming to Harolds X? I have UTV Clicksilver at the moment, but I would really, really love to ditch my Eircom line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dub45
    I wonder though what percentage of people are actually big downloaders and would those who are big into downloading not head for isps with bigger caps?
    UTV claim that only about 2% of their users exceed their download allowance in any given month. (according to the letter that they sent out to their customers recently, that was posted here).

Advertisement