Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa in for Saviola??????!!!

• 14-07-2004 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

FROM SKY SPORTS

ENGLISH CLUB IN FOR SAVIOLA
    Wednesday 14th July 2004

Saviola: English offer

Barcelona striker Javier Saviola is reported to have been the subject of an offer from an unnamed Premiership club.
    Spanish daily Mundo Deportivo claims the Catalan giants have been approached by an English and a French side, both of whom are willing to match the player's current wage packet.

The Argentine hit-man, known as 'The Rabbit', is on Copa America duty with his national side - and netted a hat-trick in the 6-1 win over Ecuador.

Saviola is very highly-regarded at Barca, and a fans' favourite, and enjoyed another impressive campaign last season where he netted a total of 17 goals.

Despite this, his future at the club has been in question for some time because of his contractual situation.

Saviola was bought by former president Joan Gaspart and put on a massive salary, (believed to be £2.5 million per annum), which the current regime at the club want to substantially reduce.

Unsurprisingly, Saviola is very reticent to negotiate a reduction in wages which has led to something of an impasse.

Barca boss Frank Rijkaard is keen to retain the player's services, but current president Joan Laporta admits Saviola's contract is a bone of contention.

"The player has a contractual situation that we must sort out, just as we have spoken to other players who had a contract inherited from before," Laporta stated.

"However, Javier's contract will not condition whether he continues here."

For his part, Saviola's agent Alfredo Cabrera Brizuela insists he is surprised by Barca's continued condemnation of his client's contract, and added he was unaware of any offers for his services.

"I'm not sure what a 'complicated contract' means," he said. "I don't know if it is what Joan Gaspart did. Is that the complication? I don't understand.

"Javier has never caused a problem and he has been there three years.

"For this reason I don't understand talk of listening to offers for 'Pibito' (the young lad).

"I don't know of any offer although I am clear that I will not offer him to any other club as it is not ethical."

It appears that Barca do want to keep hold of Saviola, but will not rule out the possibility of cashing in on the striker if they fail to reduce his salary.

Laporta is working hard to reduce Barca's debts and a large part of that is cutting the wage bill, while it would not be a popular decision he may decide that Saviola might have to be sacrificed in the coming months if his situation remains unchanged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I for one am extremely sceptical on this one, but there are strong rumours coming out of Birmngham that the mystery club is Villa! This is from the same people who knew about the Laursen signing a week prior, and our interest in Mathieu Berson at Christmas.

Saviola is 3 years into a 4 year deal so he's affordable. Angel played with Saviola for 2 years at River plate. £2.5m is only £45,000 per week - easily affordable considering 19 players are off the wage bill since O'Leary took over....

Offical Villa chatroom is blocked - "too many users". Mad shít

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No offense to Villa fans but are you mad.

Saviola is one of the best strikers in the world and is still only 24.
    You think he'd be willing to continue playing at his current wages for Villa when he could get into most teams in Europe.
    I'll be honest with you when I instantly thought it was Arsenal.
    He would be great for Arsenal, and I think Wenger knows he needs another world class striker to back up Henry.

He is playing for Barca who next year have a serious chance at the CL title, and would move to Villa for money? The guys 24, he wants to win.
    Also you honastly think he'd go for any less than 10 mill? I'd say he'd go for at least 15 maybe 20! Villa can't go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

O'Leary has a way of talking to the players, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the Villa.

(I hope it is Villa ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As much as I would love to believe it, we dont have the money to sign him, and if even if we did I'm sure there would be a lot of clubs interested who are in the CL.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by PHB
    He would be great for Arsenal, and I think Wenger knows he needs another world class striker to back up Henry.
    Why would he want Saviola then? ;)

I'd be disgusted if that did happen, and I don't think Saviola will come to the premiership anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Saviola is 22 not 24.
    Barcelona have been trying to restructure his wage payments for ages now, and I'm sure they'll get it sorted.
    Laporta has done an excellent job of clearing almost all of Barca's debt.
    Also, with Rijkaard in charge, Saviola has been playing where as before he was left on the bench and that donkey Kluivert was playing. He has no reason to leave the club.
    Saviola to Villa, sorry can't see this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No chance! he is a legend in Barca! Laporta said when he came in he wanted to turn Barca into a club like Real signing a greta player each year! dont really see him letting go of one of his best strikers! also if he is only on 45,0000 a year I am quite sure Barca can afford that! seeing as they have got Kluivert off the there wages bill at 85,000 a week and alot of the other Dutch player who where also on massive wages........

If tis was true if wud have been released at the same time as all of te Dutch players where given the bullet as this is when Barca did there clear out!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Yep! Just as I thought.... it's cobblers. I have family in Birmingham, they've said it's just one of those clubcall phoneline stories. They put 2 and 2 together about the Sky Sports story and the fact that Angel had played with Saviola and O'Leary was trying to re-unite them. The story also went on about how Villa first became aware that Saviola might be available when first contacted Barca about Kluivert, but that's complete árse coz Kluivert was a free agent, Villa didn't have to contact Barca if they were interested in him.

... feckin spoofers

Advertisement