Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one become a candidate for the Local Elections?

Options
  • 14-07-2004 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I've had a quick skim through the links and whatnot and can't seem to find anything. I'm not saying it's not there, just that i never came upon it. Anyway the topic of this post is my question. How does one become a candidate for the Local Elections. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

loose one's marbles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

The answer is below. If you do go forward and get elected, don't turn out like a gob****e. Not even a harmless gob****e like http://www.ocoistin.ie/.

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/15988e86518ce91280256b76005df32c/$FILE/eleclocal.doc

“2. Eligibility for Election
    Every person who is a citizen of Ireland or ordinarily resident in the State and has reached the age of 18 years and is not subject to any of the following disqualifications is eligible for election or co-option to and membership of a local authority………..: “

(Disqualifications include MEPs, TDs, Senators, Gardai, soldiers, civil servants and some kinds of convicted criminals.)

“8. Nomination of candidates
    The period (a week) for nominating candidates to stand at local election occurs 4 weeks before polling day. A person may nominate him/herself or be nominated by a local government elector registered in the area concerned. A person can be nominated to stand in more than one area. A deposit of £50 (€63.49) is required of a candidate for a county council or corporation of a county borough and a deposit of £25 (€31.74) is required for other candidates. The deposit is refunded if the candidate withdraws, dies, is elected or receives more than one quarter of the quota of votes necessary for election (see section 11)…………..“

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by ishmael whale
    The deposit is refunded if the candidate dies

"Sorry you died, here's your money back"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ishmael whale quoting the DoE
    “8. Nomination of candidates
    The period (a week) for nominating candidates to stand at local election occurs 4 weeks before polling day. A person may nominate him/herself or be nominated by a local government elector registered in the area concerned. A person can be nominated to stand in more than one area. A deposit of £50 (€63.49) is required of a candidate for a county council or corporation of a county borough and a deposit of £25 (€31.74) is required for other candidates. The deposit is refunded if the candidate withdraws, dies, is elected or receives more than one quarter of the quota of votes necessary for election (see section 11)…………..“
    The deposit is (recently) gone as a requirement. Nomination by a party or by getting enough signatures of registered voters is now enough. Time for the DoE to update that page.
    Local elections
    Euro elections
    Dail elections
    (I'm not listing the Seanad as it's got that oddball system)

Advertisement