Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ripped off...in for sale forum

Options
  • 14-07-2004 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

I just purchased a mobile phone of a boards user in the for sale section of boards..

I got the phoned today and the screen is smashed into **** :( in the post it said nothing about the screen being smashed..

surely boards should have a name and shame or as someone said - provide pictures of phones / any electric equipment..

im 50 english down - but hopefully he will have the heart to return my money. <i doubt> :(
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Probably got done in the post tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

perhaps it got broken en route to you.

It was easy to get a good photo of the model of phone you are selling.

Tough luck man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

if he ripped you off why dont you give his username so he doesnt get anyone else?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

That sucks ass JTF, there should be a bloody packaging rule for those sort of items to make sure they're properly wrapped and protected.
    It's really not tha expensive to wrap something well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

tbh - the crack(s) on the screen dont look like it happened in the post.. they look old

plus it was a recorded delivery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

hate people like that not to self dont by second hand stuff threw the post unless you see a pic of the item before you buy.

some people huh

tbh mate if someone screwed me over id post his name up, your being very generous to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

ave u tried emailing , txting pm.ing him and what was the outcome?

This really pisses me off. This is a community , we shouldnt try to be screwing each other over. Its not buy and sell :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

exactly!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If it's a recorded delivery, you may be able to claim from the postal company if you say the goods were "damaged in transit" ?

Certainly name & shame. Have you contacted the seller?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In fairness - have you contacted the seller ? You received the phone on the same day you made the original post - surely you should give the seller some time to respond ?

If the seller is who I think it is (based on a search) I have had successful dealings with him before.

I have recently being selling stuff on eBay (models and suchlike) and its been an abiding fear that something would break in transit - hasn't happened yet (probbaly due to over-packing) but the worry is there because there isn't really any damage insurace available..

Surely the cd would have smashed/cracked as well.. come on.

Picture of the cracked screen

:mad:

the seller offered me the recipt of the record mail.. what use is that? - to show he sent it recorded. As it is recorded delivery.. i can claim feck all probably.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

you can claim for the amount the phone was insured for. if it was registered post then they ask how much the item is valued for.
    I'm currently chasing a guy off ebay as ~I never recieved the phone, he is trying to give me the reciept to claim back off royal mail, but It is my belief that i should get refunded by him as I never recieved goods in the first place.

Best of luck.

BTW, a screen is easily repaired. Check on ebay, theres loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Joodee? When did you have a sex change?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by Joodee
    you can claim for the amount the phone was insured for. if it was registered post then they ask how much the item is valued for.
    I'm currently chasing a guy off ebay as ~I never recieved the phone, he is trying to give me the reciept to claim back off royal mail, but It is my belief that i should get refunded by him as I never recieved goods in the first place.

Best of luck.

BTW, a screen is easily repaired. Check on ebay, theres loads.

If you go onto the Community boards on eBay you'll see a wild and continuous debate about whether the buyer or seller should chase Royal Mail for compo if an item gets lost. The consensus (if you can call it that) -seems_ to be that for goodwill the seller will refund the buyer and chase Royal Mail . Others say that the seller is the person who had the contract with Royal mail and he/she should chase them up and that goodwill has nothing to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by parsi
    The consensus (if you can call it that) -seems_ to be that for goodwill the seller will refund the buyer and chase Royal Mail . Others say that the seller is the person who had the contract with Royal mail and he/she should chase them up and that goodwill has nothing to do with it...
    I'd tend to agree with both of those points of view (nice that they're not mutually exclusive - either way it's really down to the seller)

Originally posted by amp
    Joodee? When did you have a sex change?
    if your refering to my name, i was the victim of an Ecksor joke. He dislikes being compared to Judge Judy, hence the name.

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'd tend to agree with both of those points of view (nice that they're not mutually exclusive - either way it's really down to the seller)

well, if you were purchasing from a company and the item doesn't arrive, then they have broken their contract with you by not providing you with the specified item.
    Also, you buy a broken phone from a shop then you havent purchased a working item either so they are obliged to refund you in whatever manner.

then again, the age old saying goes, let the buyer beware :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It got cracked in the post. You ask would the cd not have broken. Doubtful, have you every tried to break a cd in half, they are hard nuts to crack. If it was recorded it'll be insured up to like £150 I think.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Looking at that picture, its very doubtful it went in the post. Its not just the screen. The LCD is gone also. They are tough enough to damage, especially if something is packed for postage.

I reckon it was damaged before sending and probably done in the back pocket.......

BIG problem with Ngages because of their size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Aye that does look very damaged in the post to me. Phones are designed to take a bit of wear and tear anyway sure.

Either get this fella to chase an post and refund you or name and shame him tbh

Originally posted by Lump
    It got cracked in the post. You ask would the cd not have broken. Doubtful, have you every tried to break a cd in half, they are hard nuts to crack. If it was recorded it'll be insured up to like £150 I think.

i cannot see how it did.. the parcel it came in is perfect.. :confused:

with that amount of the damaged to the phone surely the parcel would have damage aswell.. which it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ahh so it was lump .
    ive bought various things of him b4 and never had any probloms . chances are it was a postage problom as i do agree it is very hard to break a cd but very ease to break a phones screen . is the phone under warrienty still ?

Originally posted by elexes
    ahh so it was lump .

its not..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

It might still be under warrenty with nokia. To the best of my knowledge nokia covers phones for 18 months after date of manufacture. It might be an idea to bring it in to a nokia service centre like the phone shop on Dawson street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Joodee
    if your refering to my name, i was the victim of an Ecksor joke. He dislikes being compared to Judge Judy, hence the name.
    That guy and his sense of humour...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    its not..

No no, it was me. Stop trying to cover up for me. I feel bad. I tell you what, not only will I give you another phone, I'll give you 1 hundred dollars, cause you're on MTV's Hidden Camera Show, "Boiling Point".

John

FÚCK ME I NEED TO GET OUT MORE!

• Advertisement

this is the person in question..

to further the proof that I was ripped off..

this is the original thread dated the 29/06.

on the 08/07 - this thread .. you can see that he was looking for another ngage..
    There is also a 256 MB Memory Key aswell.

150 Euros o.n.o or Will swap for a Flip phone with camera and possibly bluetooth.

or an N-Gage.

why would he be looking for a ngage a couple of later after the deal was being completed.. did he missed it that much..and wanted one back???
    im at a loss here :confused:

so beware... :(

Advertisement