Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 gone Gold - August 3rd expected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im sorted tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I am so sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I hereby declare myself sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Thats me sorted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ive radeon 9600
    wohooo

although i might not play this game, too scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sorted :)

mightn't even bother replacing my 9600 until after crimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

linkie
    Todd Hollenshead
    Jul 15 2004, 03:41:19 (GMT)
    toddh@idsoftware.com
    id Software - CEO

Name: Todd Hollenshead
    Email:
    Description: CEO
    Project:

7-14-2004 10:19 PM CDT

A few bottles of champagne later (so excuse the typos)....

First of all, thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory notes on the GOLD announcement. I speak for
    everyone at id when I say I wish I could respond to everyone personally, but hopefully this general note
    can convey how much we sincerely appreciate the sentiment from everyone out there waiting for the game.

A few people have reminded me of some details omitted from my initial update:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be
    available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.
    More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release
    the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's
    done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Demo: our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo. I
    don't have any information to share regarding any specific content, but I don't believe that we have
    ever disappointed in that regard in the past. We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this
    probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on U.S. store shelves.

Last, but not least, the id Store: we will have copies of DOOM 3 available, but only after we get them.
    I'm sure that some of the hardcore game retailers will get them even before we do. Check our website for
    updates on this. We certainly appreciate everyone who has helped to make the id Store a huge success this
    year. By the way, more DOOM 3 T-Shirts just arrived, so those popular items are back in stock and will be
    available this week.

I understand that people have lots and lots of questions. We're working on pulling together some form of
    an official FAQ, but even though we're done we still have several responsibilities that are urgent as the
    game heads for retail. Please bear with us on this.

I know I owe you those preparation tips, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

7-14-2004 11:52 AM CDT

IT'S DONE!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the official word that DOOM 3 has been code released and has been approved for manufacturing!
    It won't be long now until the anticipation ends and the PH34R begins ;-) We literally just hung up with
    Activision and have confirmed that our latest release candidate has been mutually approved and is finally
    GOLD. Thanks to everyone for their patience (yeah right! =) and for everyone at id, Activision and our
    numerous partners for helping us create what I believe is absolutely the best game we have ever made.

So, the next question is release dates. Retailers in the States will be allowed to pick up games starting
    at 12:01 AM on August 3rd. The official street date is actually August 5th in the U.S.A., but some of
    your favorite stores will probably have it early for those of you who have to have it first. Check with
    your local retailer for that information.

Internationally, the game will take a few more days to make it to the store shelves. The UK will probably get it first, on or about August 6th. Everywhere else will probably be Friday, August 13th (que Twilight Zone Theme) or close to that date, with just a few exceptions (e.g. Russia and Poland). This isn't
    because we don't have love for you folks outside the U.S., but the localization and manufacturing process
    takes a bit longer outside the U.S. where we will have JVC run 24/7 to get the units built. I guess the
    European manufacturers prefer to give their employees nights and weekends off. Go figure!

The champagne is flowing here at id and smiles abound!

I'll update again with some DOOM 3 preparation tips (not what hardware to buy - you'll have to wait for
    a programmer for that sort of thing). In the meantime, I want to see those "DOOM 3 GOLD!!!" threads set
    new records for swamping message board servers, destroying productivity, and post counts ;-)

Recapping today's headlines....DOOM 3 GOLD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

yay, sorted also.. once I actually get all the new pcs bits in my hands, and get them all into the case.. in their right places heh... :/

Also on the talk of good looking graphics, if you havnt seen it all ready check out the unreal 3 engine at work, its.. wow... do a search in the games forum not sure where it is, but theres a vid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Also on the talk of good looking graphics, if you havnt seen it all ready check out the unreal 3 engine at work, its.. wow... do a search in the games forum not sure where it is, but theres a vid of it.
    Just goto http://www.doom3.com/ and click the trailer option. It sure looks nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

SyxPak: Laptops are merely tools, commodity utility pieces, about as good at play games as a Kango hammer.

Thanks a lot SyxPak. Very useful info..
    I had alot of success with UT2004, (good solid fps, on a reasonably high resolution with lots of doobies switched on), so I was hoping that D3 might be ok..

Sounds like I may be better off hanging on for the demo, to make sure it plays ok.

I am so not sure if i'm sorted or not.. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

looks like i'll be bringing in my humble geforce 4 and bunging it into meh pc at work to play it. i forsee late evenings in work ahead, horray! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Fo those of you wondering how it will perform. ID ran an independent (manufacturers had no access to the test code) card benchmarking based on a Doom3 timedemo that comes in the retail package.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

The Nvidia cards seem to perform considerably better, but I'm sure ATI will sort out the driver bottle necks for theirs rather quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

The did not even bother to rate anything less then the newest cards, does not bode well for my ati 9800 pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They only rated the current high end cards because they wanted to demonstrate how well it will play on the at ahigh resolution with all the eye candy switched on.
    From the article
    As of this afternoon we were playing DOOM 3 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 box with a GeForce 4 MX440 video card and having a surprisingly good gaming experience.

I've played it (in Alpha form) on a GF2Ti and while it wasn't really playable (5 - 10FPS) it still demonstrated that it could look fabulous on what is by todays standards an ancient slow card.

Your 9800 Pro will no doubt run it brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

DO you guys think I will be OK with my this spec?

64MB nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Gaphics Card
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53GHz
    512MB DDR RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Replace the P4 with an AMD XP2500 @2.2Ghz and that's what I hope tobe playing it on :)

So you should be fine.

Originally posted by full forward
    DO you guys think I will be OK with my this spec?

64MB nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Gaphics Card
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53GHz
    512MB DDR RAM

read the benchmarks, it should run fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Also that test was onlya demo for benchmarking, carmack himself said the full game will run alot better.
    Basically if youve been playing Far Cry, youll be playing Doom 3.

Good times ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Deadwing
    Basically if youve been playing Far Cry, youll be playing Doom 3.

I should be happy enough so :)

• Advertisement

Ive preordered from play.com. What are the chances ill have the game in my hands on the release date? do play usually post out a few days early to ensure you have it on release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah they usually do, but sometimes, as happened with UT2004 delays can occur and you can be left waiting for a little while. :/

http://64.235.252.233/g4_icons_doom3.avi

fantastic video on the making of doom 3, think it was broadcast yesterday. Plenty of new footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

That link don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oh a 50 mins wait to download it good old fileplannet

Its well worth the wait

ok i found a torrent for it
    i wont give a link since the site has warez as well but most people will know it, its the most popular torrent site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

is it mac compatible?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by adonis
    is it mac compatible?

id software say they will release a mac version but it will be some time after the pc version is available

Advertisement