Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 8300

Options
  • 14-07-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I own a dell 8300 with a p4 3.2, 512 DDR 3200 ram, 9800XT, I have never overclocked before and am unsure if my machine will play the newer games to be released ( HL2), any advice on how to squeeze the best out of my machine without spending a lot of money.....?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Dells aren't overclocking machines, but your setup should be able to handle HL2 or Doom3 alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, the Dell BIOS won't allow you to overclock (no way to change FSB, multiplier, voltages, etc). That should handle those games fine - thought you might want to stick another 512MB in for Doom3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭wingnut299

thanks guys....Im kinda stuck with a dilemma now...my mate wants to take this off my hands for €1350...I wouldn't even know how to start building my own pc, but im really interested in this whole forum...what sort of machine would I be able to build with €1350 (with a bit of help) and could I build a machine with a better spec than I have now??...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by wingnut299
    thanks guys....Im kinda stuck with a dilemma now...my mate wants to take this off my hands for €1350...I wouldn't even know how to start building my own pc, but im really interested in this whole forum...what sort of machine would I be able to build with €1350 (with a bit of help) and could I build a machine with a better spec than I have now??...

Not that hard tbh.

Built my first pc a while ago (with the help of lots of people here ;) )

For €1350 you'd get a good pc, AMD 64 and such

Do you have to get a monitor also?

yeah..I a have a 21" Sony trinitron Crt...would love to keep it, but it is included in the €1350

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by wingnut299
    yeah..I a have a 21" Sony trinitron Crt...would love to keep it, but it is included in the €1350

Havn't got a clue what that is worth tbh.

€1350 doesnt sound bad. What did you pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

You could always keep the CPU, RAM, etc and just stick a new motherboard in the case. You might need a new PSU too as Dell PSUs have those funny connectors I believe;. Definitely the cheapest option...

I paid €2000 for it three months ago...Id like to get my hands dirty and have a go at building a good one...dont know if €1350 would be enough to build a better one than I have now...all this artic ice and thermalake and X800 stuff appeals to me...love to have a go from scratch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

tbh the system you have is very strong - pop it up to a gig of ram and you're laughing

that said, building your own pc is great fun and a great learning experience

1350 would get you a fine fine fine machine - though you'd have to fork out quite a bit for a 21" CRT

Im not to worried about the monitor that much....just want to make sue that whats in the box is better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

well building your own is clearly a good buzz , learn alot and such. but if your not going to be playing games alot forget about it for about a year, then, your PC will be not as shiny and requires an update any way.

Remember at the mo, there are alot of new technologies such as pci-express and ddr 2 and to build a pc with these standards now will cost an arm and a leg , but I'd say by this time next year hey will be a good deal cheaper.
    Regardless of what these technologies have to offer they will become standard :(

Advertisement