Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules governing landlords?

Options
  • 14-07-2004 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the correct board to get an answer on this. I've checked the links in the sticky already and none of the websites seem to answer my question.

Here's the deal. I'm currently looking for somewhere to live with two mates. When we enquired about one property we were told the landlord had a strict "no guys" policy. He would rent to a group of girls, or a mixture of guys and girls, but not to a group of lads. Now, I can understand a landlord's position on this, but surely such things are covered under some sort of equality legislation?

It seems ridiculous to me that we can be automatically denied a chance at renting a property purely on the basis of our gender. Anyone have any idea what laws are applicable to landlords so I can investigate further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I understand from the Equal Status Act, landlords are allowed discriminate where the premises is designed to accommodate six people or less (covers most domestic dwellings, but not hotels, hostels, B&Bs, etc.).

I generally don't tolerate discriminatory ad.s here, with the exception of where the landlord is an owner occupier.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA8Y2000S6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Thanks for that Victor. At least I know what the situation is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Contact www.threshold.ie
    They can inform you about landlord's and renter's rights.

Kevin.

Advertisement