Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port forwarding

• 14-07-2004 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I am trying to set up port forwarding for a Bittorrent client. I have IOL BB, a Prestige 623 ethernet modem connected to a 3Com OfficeConnect router with a wireless LAN. This is set up ok, the Prestige (IP 192.163.1.1) and Officeconnect (IP 193.163.1.1) are linked in series and have different IP addresses and the wireless LAN works fine.

BUT.....

I cant seem to set up port forwarding for Bittorrent (using BitTornado client). Recommended ports for this client are 5881 to 7999. I have the Prestige set up under 'NAT' to forward all ports to 193.163.1.3 (PC IP address according to ipconfig). Then I have adjusted the firewall in the OfficeConnect router so that Bittorent is a 'special application' with ports 5881-7999 opened and port 6969 acting as a trigger port.

This should work but nada..... still getting the yellow icon with BitTornado and my download speeds are crap (about 10 kb/s max).

I have even tried unplugging the wireless router and going directly from the Prestige router/modem to the PC with a standard wired LAN, adjusted the IP address for port forwarding, still no good.

Getting pretty frustrated at this stage, anyone got any suggestions???

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

tornado uses ports 6881-6889
    not 6881-7999
    you are exposing yourself uneccesarly with that many ports
    6969 is not neccesary to be forwarded as your computer does not inititate connections throught this port

try changing to random ports
    you need enough ports only for the amount of transmitting youll be doing on bt
    using irelands connections youll get away with 5max if your lucky

limit your upload to 80-85% of the max possible etc
    about 10kB on a 128kb upload

finally make sure your forwarding ports to the right ip addresses
    im not entirely sure of your setup
    you shopuld be forwarding the ports from prestige to the 3com
    then onwards to the pc (If that makes sense)

try using azureus aswell
    the auto config in there will give yu an idea if its actually NAT thats blocking the ports and not something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Port Triggering is a little more secure than port forwarding, because the incoming ports are not open all the time. They are only open when a program is actively using the trigger port. While this is nice, it is also troublesome. What happens when you are trying to download a very large file? Well the software you have setup port triggering for may not keep sending data out of the trigger port. If it doesn't your router closes the incoming ports, and your download is interupted.

just found that info aswell
    since you wont be announcing to the tracker constantly those ports arent gonna be open
    and youll still get yellow lights ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

193.163.1.1 and 193.163.1.3 are valid internet addresses - I've just pinged them. They are assigned to Terma Elektronik A/S in Denmark. This is not your entire problem, but it certainly isn't going to help.

Private IP addresses use one of the following ranges:
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.16.255.255
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    You need two networks, one between the modem and the router, and one for your actual LAN. I would suggest 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 for the modem and router WAN interface, and 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, etc for the router LAN interface and your client PCs.

Assuming your bittorrent machine ends up as 10.0.0.3, you will need to forward the port range 6881:6889 twice - on the modem, forward to 192.168.0.2, and on the router, forward to 10.0.0.3.

If the modem can be set up in bridge mode, this can be simplified. Bridge mode means that your modem will not have an IP address assigned to it - it will deliver the public IP address assigned by IOL to the router's WAN interface. In these circumstances, you would only need the address range for your LAN (10.0.0.x in the above example), and you would forward the bittorrent ports on the router only.

Advertisement