Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting from Belfast to Shannon

• 15-07-2004 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm getting a flight from Shannon to Washington DC on the 20th and from there a bus to NYC. Surprisingly planning all this was relatively easy. That is, compared to trying to get from Northern Ireland to Shannon Airport. I was quite surprised to find no-one flies from either of the Belfast airports to Shannon and I can't find any way to do it that doesn't involve changing between buses and trains over and over.

My flight leaves Shannon at 3:15pm on the 20th. Aer Lingus recommend check in 2hr30mins before that so I need to arrive at Shannon by about 12:30pm. As far as I can tell getting from Belfast to Shannon is impossible to do in one morning on public transport so I guess I'm going to have to go to Dublin the night before and then make my way to Shannon. Can anyone recommend the best and most reliable way to do this? I don't want to be stuck on a broken down train in the middle of nowhere while my plane takes off.

The first leg of the journey would be the most complicated, wouldn't it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Not an easy one.
    There's a bus from Belfast to Galway, with one change in Cavan IIRC,
    but maybe the train to Dublin would be handier..
    I don't think it's feasible to do in one morning, short of hiring a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Train: Belfast Central 06.50 Dublin Connolly 09.05
    Bus: route 747/748 from Busaras (2mns walk from Connolly) - Airport ETA 09.50 (max 30mns journey +10mns wait)

AerLingus EI133 Dublin 11.00 - Shannon 11.45

Originally posted by HarryD

I don't think it's feasible to do in one morning, short of hiring a car.

And indeed I've looked up Hertz.ie for you.
    You can rent a ford focus in Hertz at Belfast and leave it back at hertz in Shannon airport for a total of GB£202.
    Assuming you have a full licence and can drive.

All you need then is a road map to pick your shortest route.
    The bonus is that you are free to make the journey at your own pace and theres no changing busses,planes and excessively out of the way long bus or train journies.
    And of course you will have a big boot so won't be hauling luggage all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

€300 plus petrol to get from Belfast to Shannon. Bargain:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

www.aerarann.com

Adult Regular £ 50.47 GBP Tue, 20 Jul 04
    Flight 302
    09:20 Depart Belfast (BHD)
    10:30 Arrives Cork (ORK)

A taxi to Parnell place bus station, then....

www.buseireann.ie

Cork (Parnell Place Bus Station) dep 11:25
    Shannon Airport arr 14:00

Of course, whether Aer Lingus will let you check in that late for an 15:15 flight is another matter :dunno: I have cut European flights a lot tighter than that, but trans-atlantic flights may be more strict, especially when going to the US

• Advertisement

Originally posted by John R
    €300 plus petrol to get from Belfast to Shannon. Bargain:rolleyes:
    Rofl :D

Half that price with thrifty @ €144 (or one of the others) :) thats euro not stg plus a tank of petrol bought in the Republic at ROI prices back in shannon so maybe another €50

The taxes bring the Aer arann price up to £70
    1 Adult at £ 58.54 GBP £ 58.54 GBP
    Taxes and Fees (details) £ 11.48 GBP

Which will still work out cheaper of course by about 60 or 70 Euro than car rental.
    For convenience I'd still take a car though ;)

But if you don't mind the hassle of taxi's buses and waiting for the luggage on the carousell at another airport and of course cork city trafic then go with the cheaper option for sure :)

My apoligies johnR

According to Aerlingus.com , a one way econ flex ticket from Dublin to shannon is €50 including taxes.

So your way is best,having looked at that imho.
    But at least the person has a few options now anyway.

Advertisement