Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well Done Shels

• 15-07-2004 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭

Fair play to Shels last night.

They really came back from the dead last night!

I was very dissapointed there was no tv coverage, (even highlights)! Anyway i was keeping tabs on the socre throgh teletext, but when they were 2-0 down away from home, with not long left, i thought they were dead n buried.

All the more suprised i was when i checked skysports news this morning, and saw they drew the match.
    With 2 away goals, they have to be favourites to progress to the next round.

Well done Shels!

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah I agree, a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down with 10 minutes left was a good result. Well done Shels and and good luck in the home leg next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

2 away goals , just need to keep it tight in the 2nd leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, a great result alright, well done to the lads. I was following on www.livescore.com up to a point, then I went out and headed to the pub, where I met a fellow Shels match go-er and asked him the final score. 2-0 he told me, ah no I thought.

The my brother texted me with the final score, and I headed around to the other bloke I was talkin to earlier. We danced around the pub.

Shels should be favourites now, as they should have Glenn Fitzpatrick back for the second leg, himself and Jason Byrne have forged a good striking partnership this season.

Nice to see Alan Moore on the scoresheet too.

Come on Longford Town tonight against Vaduz in the UEFA Cup.

And, for those of you in and around Dublin next wednesday, ye should get yer arses down to Tolka Park to support Shels in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

yep Fair play to Shels , they must have really had to dig deep to come back away from home like that, perhaps they were rather fortunate as it was an o.g that squared up the game but they'll take all the luck they can get...

I'll try to make the return game in Tolka , should be a good game as the Icelandic team need to score ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

As a pats fan its unuasual to be happy when shells win but fair play to them will go to the return leg providing tickets arent to hard to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Irish teams taking Europe by storm :D .

But its good that Irish teams are winning and those coefeciant(sp ?) points are going up .

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    shells

We don't play on the beach!

Shels ( one "L" )

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

was this the first round CL qualifier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yes.

Good result. KR arent all that bad a side.

Now, just remember Shels had a similar result away to Hibs - Malta 2 yrs ago, a very poor side, and managed to lose 0-1 at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I wish all irish teams in Europe except shells 29-0 isnt good enough for the cnuts.

I really hope they lose although we need the teams to win as a bitter bitter Pats fan i hope they really fcuk it up.

:)

Kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Thankfully the majority of domestic Irish football fans tend to support other domestic teams in europe, so your bias against shels doing well is not widespread ... I wish all of the teams in Europe well , good result for bohs and hopefully longford can come back from the 1 nil loss too ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i hope all irish teams lick some serious arse in europe this year!

and i'll be in tolka nxt wednesday to see shels cement a super victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

good luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Fair play to them, I always get behind an irish club who are in europe, i supported bohs against rosenborg last year even tho im a rovers fan.Its a good thing for our league.It also shows that standards in the EL are rising.The unique thing about irish soccer is that most supporters regardless of what club they support get behind a league of ireland team in europe,this type of thing is rarely seen elsewhere.

Originally posted by KdjaC

a bitter bitter Pats fan

A bitter SPA fans? My god, thats a first!!! ;)

Dont like $h€£$ myself, but if they go out it'll only serve as another embarrassment to the National League.

Originally posted by gimmick

another embarrassment to the National League.

They are the embarassment.

Hands up who won a tie in Europe in last 5 years?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boh's! :) Anyway he said another embarrassment, losing to an Icelandic or Leichtenstein team is an emarassment TBH.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Boh's! :) Anyway he said another embarrassment, losing to an Icelandic or Leichtenstein team is an emarassment TBH.

Pats and Bohs and Cork :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Pats have every reason to be bitter with that shower. However, as an eircom league fan, I hope they can progress!

They are the embarassment.

kdjac

What i meant is that eL results in Europe have generally been poor. If a few clubs can do a bit of business itll do wonders for it, as has been witnessed in Cork with the inter toto adventure. Last Sunday at the Cross, there was a full 8500 people there, many 1st timers who have now said they will be back.

Its that kind of exposure which will get fellas off their barstools and into our grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

All this positive exposure can't fail but be good for the league. Fair enough it might be just preliminary round competition but I'd gladly take us winning whilst 'punching our weight' at a lesser level in Europe rather than what went before i.e. going straight into the main competitions getting pasted 4-0 and 5-0 in round one - and learning nothing thru the experience.

And I'm looking forward to Bohs winning their FIFTH game in Europe since 2000 vs Levadia Talinn next week. Not bad going :)

//

Just out of curiosity, does anyone the last time EL club won a 'real' tie, ie not a preliminary in CL/Uefa or an Intertoto? I seem to remember Cork beating some team from Wales on away goals about 12 years ago but nothing else comes to mind. I'd love if someone coudl correct that this season .... ie Bohs ;)

What i meant is that eL results in Europe have generally been poor. If a few clubs can do a bit of business itll do wonders for it, as has been witnessed in Cork with the inter toto adventure. Last Sunday at the Cross, there was a full 8500 people there, many 1st timers who have now said they will be back.

Its that kind of exposure which will get fellas off their barstools and into our grounds.

Cork fans are weird when they near the top of EL at the start of season they have fullish crowds soon as they lose back to 2000. Also Corks ground holds 11,000 good old Pat Dolan gets his cut from the missing figures :D

Cant remember any team ever winning a proper round. There was one but I cant remember it and i going to EL since 82.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Im supporting all the EL teams in Europe. The league needs €a$h and experience

That 100,000 for Cork City wont do them any harm;)
    But its good that Irish teams are winning and those coefeciant(sp ?) points are going up .

What is " those coefeciant(sp ?) points" ?

Uefas club ranking more points means seeding in draws atm we the ****test league in Europe or in same pool , if we get more points we move up and we get drawn against smaller teams(the irony) whoever is seeded in draws is expected to go through.

Els coefficent ranking is crap we at the bottom we need wins in europe to get up the ladder the higfher we go it may be possible to rule out prelims altogther and get into the UEFA cup 1st round proper. If Bohs win They will be seeded in next round and that gives them a chance of making the 1st round proper and mega money.

kdjac

Cant remember any team ever winning a proper round.

kdjac

Indeed!

Here's a rundown of all EL tie wins in 1st round. Not impressive reading .... but better than nothing! :)

1962-63 Uefa - Drumcondra Irl -v- Staevnet (Odense) XI Den .......... 4-1 2-4 6-5

1964-65 Uefa - CF "Os Belenenses" Por -v- Shelbourne Irl .......... 1-1 0-0 1-1 [1-2]x

1966-67 CWC - Shamrock Rovers Irl -v- CA Spora Luxembourg Lux .......... 4-1 4-1 8-2

1968-69 Uefa - DOS (Utrecht) Ned -v- Dundalk Irl .......... 1-1 1-2 2-3 aet

1970-71 CL - Glentoran Nir -v- Waterford Irl .......... 1-3 0-1 1-4

1972-73 CWC - Pezoporikos (Lárnaka) Cyp -v- Cork Hibernians Irl .......... 1-2 1-4 2-6y

1975-76 UEFA - Athlone Town Irl -v- Vålerengens IF Nor .......... 3-1 1-1 4-2

1976-77 CWC - Bohemians (Dublin) Irl -v- Esbjerg FB Den .......... 2-1 1-0 3-1

1978-79 CL - Omonia (Nicosia) Cyp -v- Bohemians (Dublin) Irl .......... 2-1 0-1 2-2*w

1978-79 CWC - Apoel (Nicosia) Cyp -v- Shamrock Rovers Irl .......... 0-2 0-1 0-3

1979-80 CL - Dundalk Irl -v- Hibernians (Pawla) Mlt .......... 2-0 0-1 2-1

1981-82 CWC - Fram (Reykjavik) Isl -v- Dundalk Irl .......... 2-1 0-4 2-5

//

Key
    =====

UEFA = UEFA CUP / FAIRS CUL

CWC = Cup Winners Cup

CL = European Cup

going to EL since 82.

kdjac

:p

kdjac

going to EL since 82.

A hex if I ever saw one! Defintely time you called it quits then. :)

Cork fans are weird when they near the top of EL at the start of season they have fullish crowds soon as they lose back to 2000.

And what other club in the eL boasts to have even close to 2000 when things are going bad? Not to mention that u are still very wrong. City havent had an attendance less that 3000 in the last 2 years.

Also Corks ground holds 11,000 good old Pat Dolan gets his cut from the missing figures :D

Now i know u are trying to wind me up. Turners Cross holds 9000 at a very hard push.

Mr Pat Dolan has nada to do with the business side of CCFC. He is the manager of the team. I often wonder where people get their pre-conceptions from. SPA fans seem to blame Dolan for everything. It has nothing to do with the fact that Simone is just a pretty face, that Andy is a cowboy, and that the tea boy who recently went to Shels undermined ye in bitterness.

Re: the rankings.

In this round of the Champions League Qualifiers Shelbourne were "ranked" 11th of the 20 teams in the round, one behind a seeded place.

If they win, in this round, and win the league, then they will be seeded in the 1st round of champions league qualifiers next season.

• Advertisement

And what other club in the eL boasts to have even close to 2000 when things are going bad? Not to mention that u are still very wrong. City havent had an attendance less that 3000 in the last 2 years.

Now i know u are trying to wind me up. Turners Cross holds 9000 at a very hard push.

Mr Pat Dolan has nada to do with the business side of CCFC. He is the manager of the team. I often wonder where people get their pre-conceptions from. SPA fans seem to blame Dolan for everything. It has nothing to do with the fact that Simone is just a pretty face, that Andy is a cowboy, and that the tea boy who recently went to Shels undermined ye in bitterness.

Pats get 2 to 4 Every week, in a ground which only holds 4500 (LOL) i have been there when there has been 7000.

Are you new to EL if the team says it holds X then add Y which is usually 2k.

Strange i have been in Turners cross when there was 11,500 (98 season Pats won 2-1 Leon scored with some body part) And whenever Cork near top or table and i there if i ask Cork Fans in the ground or ones i know how many at it they usually say 9ish.
    But they going years so wouldnt probably know very much.

But im sure you know your stuff about Pats and how we got 500,000 from UEFA in 98 + 250,000 Tv money for Celtic games , nearly 500,000 from Wimbledon for Des Byrne and over 250,000 for each league win after 98 , totals to about 2.2 million which was to be used for :

1 The millenium Stand ,knocked on the head for
    2 St micheals project knocked on the head for
    3 The new stand which includes funding from Lotto once Pats come up with other half which they surely must have after 4 league titles and 3 50K player transfers. But alas we have no money and the stand cant be built as the contractor who was building it no longer has a tender for it.

Now guess who the contractor is, and how he was being paid AND who brokered the deal?

kdjac

Wallace I spose???

Yes, there may have been 11500 in 98, when ye beat us, but that was when both the Derrynane side and the St Annes End were fully terraced.

As it is at the moment, City are getting in about 5000 per game. And dont make me laugh saying that SPA are getting 2000-4000 everytime. Ive been to at least 10 games at Richmond, and never has there been even near 2500. I know quite a few SPA fans and even they will say that their attendances (while being better than most Dub clubs) are poor.

No one says that we have 9ish. Even at the Toto game last week, which was a full house, there was about 8000.

As for £500k for Des Byrne? :D Im hust being told it was about irl£100k, a great fee, for an idiot of a player.

As for being 'new to the eL', well, not that i have to explain pedigree, I have been supporting City since the late 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Strange i have been in Turners cross when there was 11,500 (98 season Pats won 2-1 Leon scored with some body part) And whenever Cork near top or table and i there if i ask Cork Fans in the ground or ones i know how many at it they usually say 9ish.
    But they going years so wouldnt probably know very much.

I was at that game too, but there were a lot less seats then so more people were standing. Even now Turners Cross can do more than 9000 when they start squeezing them in, but the official capacity is 9000.

The stand in st pats has 2000 seats and is always full so added to whatever else is in the ground makes 2000+

All El teams infatuate there attendances been doing it for years.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Main Stand in Richmond is not "always full". I doubt it will be full against Wayside.

Anyway, Bohs will easily take the Estonians in the second leg, pile the money on, Bohs should be evens. Levadia are rubbish, having been to the 1st leg. They brought on 2 defenders 20 minutes from the end, to take the draw. A home draw. For any interested punters, the video of the away leg can be seen in the bar in Dalymount after the Cup game this Thursday.

Advertisement