Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: KKK welcomes Irish move to limit citizenship rights

Options
  • 15-07-2004 9:51am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭

kinda says it all really!

from BreakingNews.ie

KKK welcomes Irish move to limit citizenship rights
    15/07/2004 - 09:12:55

The US white supremacist group the Ku Klux Klan has welcomed the Irish electorate’s decision to approve the Government’s recent citizenship referendum.

In an interview with The Dubliner magazine, the Imperial Vizard of the KKK, Ray Larson, praised Justice Minister Michael McDowell and the Irish voters for restricting citizenship according to bloodlines rather than birthplace.

The KKK is a virulently racist group that murdered hundreds of African Americans in a campaign of terrorism that petered out in the 1960s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Its not as if were being racist, just falling in line with most of the other european countries with regard to citizenship laws.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IMO, if the KKK approve of an action then that was not a good action!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From memory I believe the KKK also approves of clean roads/anti-litter. I take it you will now in future refuse to drop empty crisp packets into a bin?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The KKK is a virulently racist group that murdered hundreds of African Americans in a campaign of terrorism that petered out in the 1960s.

<sarcasm>Wow, I didn't know that, thank you.</sarcasm>

I still believe the referendum decision wasn't racist, just common sense. And it's restricting citizenship based on connection to country not bloodlines.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Stark
    I still believe the referendum decision wasn't racist, just common sense. And it's restricting citizenship based on connection to country not bloodlines.
    Really? When "connection to country" is defined as "who your parents are" it becomes a moot sort of distinction, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Before the thread takes the inevitable turn, I'd like to point something simple: the views of a wacky bunch of murdering rednecks shouldn't colour anyone's perception of the rights or wrongs of any given decision. Unless yer in Tennessee, boy. I realise I've said this before, but anyone who voted no (including me) in the last abortion referendum was guaranteed to have a large number of people voting the same way whose views on abortion you certainly didn't agree with (the odds are good that the most liberal person in the country voted the same way as the most conservative person in the country). If the country had voted no in the citizenship referendum and the KKK had issued a statement the next day saying that we'd done the right thing as the proposal didn't go far enough and we really should have been burning those cottno-pickin darkies, it wouldn't attract much more than a sidenote.

Given that the dcision has, for better or for worse, been made, the best thing we can do to avoid giving the KKK what they want is to welcome any new citizens we do have that happen to be a little on the tanned side and to act welcoming to any that go through the hoops and effort of the waiting game in the future. The KKK are just looking for political capital and a few extra members for the various whitey movements out of this.

I suppose y'all can talk about bloodlines for good or ill and eventually make stuff up now so have fun with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

It was a recist referendum Im ashamed to be Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by Batbat
    I was a recist referendum Im ashamed to be Irish

I'm sure you were a recist referendum but so long as you've changed your ways, you have nothing to be ashamed of!
    Originally posted by Batbat
    It was a recist referendum Im ashamed to be Irish

Interesting that you corrected your post but still didn't spell racist correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In other news the KKK say breathing is a great move. Millions die of suffucation in protest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Posted by IgnatiusJRiley:
    Interesting that you corrected your post but still didn't spell racist correctly!

Excellent contribution, spelling correction.

omg, arcadegame2004 is Ray Larson

So we, the irish, agree with the KKK only on the points of clean roads, picking up litter and keeping black people out.
    Posted by L5:Its not as if were being racist, just falling in line with most of the other european countries with regard to citizenship laws.
    What have the immigration laws of the continental countries got to do with it ?
    Was the EU putting pressure on Ireland to bring the citizenship laws into line ?
    It was an entirely racist referendum, with various levels of bullshìt to give it an appearance of respectability.
    80% of the country's voters are either gullible fools or racists.
    Or both.
    -spelling corrected-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What if the KKK thought reducing global warming was a good measure? Would you then decide well if the KKK think its ok something must be wrong with it?

Fact is the majority decision in the election was passed. This means more people voted for that option rather then the other. Question their motives if you wish. It was a democratic election. If you think the majority of Ireland have almost the exact same beliefs on a number of issues as the KKK, great! Really does show the level of inteligence and logic behind your thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Actually, I think probably 60% of the voters were misled by the governments insistance that the referendum was in some way related to alleged current & future refugee problems. The other 20% are just racists.*

* figures above bear no relation to and are not derived from any actual facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can someone close this thread now before we have the Irish chapter of Stormfront laughing at us!? :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Who cares what Kerry Kounty Kouncil thinks about anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Gurgle

What have the immigration laws of the continental countries got to do with it ?
    Was the EU putting pressure on Ireland to bring the citizenship laws into line ?
    It was an entirely racist referendum, with various levels of bullshìt to give it an appearance of respectability.
    80% of the country's voters are either gullible fools or racists.
    Or both.
    -spelling corrected-

Actually no, if the laws were left the way they were, we would have a far more exposed and open immigration system than even the traditional bastion of immigration, the US. You could be born there, but you would not get automatic citizenship there and certainly your family would have no right to remain there until you reach the age of majority (18).

So why in god's name in Ireland are 80% in a democracy being called racist because they feel a regulated immigration policy like the US have is better? I'm sure once again it can't be just because everyone else is so wrong that you are so right.

Examine the immigration laws of the rest of the western world and you'd find Ireland sticks out like a sore thumb. The law as it was allowed open access to all other EU countries with that initial Irish passport (immediate plus familial reciprocating passports, unlike the US, Australia, Canada, UK, anywhere else in the west with lots of immigration) and it also allowed exposed access to the US as we are the only country in the world that has US immigration outside of US borders (yes, no ****). So surprisingly 80% of country voted to protect to immigration holes of the EU and US and arrange for a far more above board immigration. You can still immigrate here, but it shouldn't mean that it's a quick hop to the UK like it was (for many who were being refused UK entry visas).

Try and accept democracy and education for a change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

As I said before and after the referendum, and as sceptre pointed out, just because a racist or racist group supports something, doesnt make it a racist proposal, and doesnt make other supporters racist too.

It's a shame that morons like this guy supported the legislation for their own blurred and moronic reasons, but its not why I supported it and I hope its not why the majority of Irish people supported it.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

The KKK say oppressing black people is good, so does that mean that we should stop oppressing black people now.

Calm down, I'm joking.

It wasn't racist and I'm sick of all the NO people saying anyone who voted for it was either ignorant or racist. It's done now and you can whinge all you want about it, it's not going to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I heard that ex KKK duderino being interviewed on the Last word. tbh he wiped the floor with the interviewer and the other bloke.

When the interviewer tried to be a smart ass and mention the whole Americans killing off the indians/ thus being immigrants argument... the KKK dude kinda went yeah...."I agree the indians were over taken/invaded and look at their culture now.. lost... thats my point" :D

Suffice is to say the interviewer had little to say.

I thought it was gas tbh.

I would have liked to hear that... I cant understand how someone with such fanatical racist views can win an argument (and win properly, not like those stormfront morons). Then again, a good enough debater can prove that up is down and black is white (no pun intended).
    I remember my old History teacher managed to win a debate against my English teacher in which he claimed the classroom door didn't exist... brilliant stuff.

flogen

• Advertisement

It’s not about "winning". You cannot "win" and ideological argument as such.

It’s more or less about having views or opinions and expressing them in a logical and understandable manner.

Much like the ex KKK duderino did. I have to say I couldnt find fault with his reasons for taking the stance that he did.

I should also add I have a stormfront account and resent the moron remark! :D

true, you cant win as such, although you can outsmart your opponent and leave them speechless, as this guy seems to have done. It's usually through having better facts and research (and being able to use them to further your point), and just being good at twisting things and directing them to the way you want it to go.

And stormfront suck! :D.! I was refering to the recent influx of them on this forum, isn't it all just Nazi/white power stuff there??

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by flogen
    And stormfront suck! :D.! I was refering to the recent influx of them on this forum, isn't it all just Nazi/white power stuff there??
    Oh not at all, young flogen. They also discuss flower arranging, football, home shopping, Batman and how these activities relate to Nazi/white power stuff. Mercury_Tilt is particularly keen on discussing multiple arrangements for white and black tulips (keeping them in separate vases out of sight of each other of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

I heard that ex KKK duderino being interviewed on the Last word. tbh he wiped the floor with the interviewer and the other bloke.

When the interviewer tried to be a smart ass and mention the whole Americans killing off the indians/ thus being immigrants argument... the KKK dude kinda went yeah...."I agree the indians were over taken/invaded and look at their culture now.. lost... thats my point" :D

Suffice is to say the interviewer had little to say.

I thought it was gas tbh.

I have no argument with your point here...however I think your name is incredibly distasteful and will could great distress to any members of the Irish Unionist and Loyalist communities that have lost relatives in Northern Ireland to Mercury Tilt bombings.

As for your signature: Building an Ireland of Equals? Emmmm, except if you're a Unionist or Loyalist I take it from your parties point of view!?!

Originally posted by sceptre
    Oh not at all, young flogen. They also discuss flower arranging, football, home shopping, Batman and how these activities relate to Nazi/white power stuff. Mercury_Tilt is particularly keen on discussing multiple arrangements for white and black tulips (keeping them in separate vases out of sight of each other of course)

lol... fasinating... you learn something new every day!

flogen

What exactly is a Mercury Tilt bombing?

Is it some thing I do in my sleep?

No, it's what your beloved Sinn Fein and their good buddies the PIRA used to do to Prison Officers in the 1970's....as if you didn't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by In_Diana_Jones
    No, it's what your beloved Sinn Fein and their good buddies the PIRA used to do to Prison Officers in the 1970's....as if you didn't know!

With Mercury Tilt being the moderator for the Prison Forum, I think he has prisons officers best interests at heart :D

Now that's ironic, are you listening Alanis?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    Before the thread takes the inevitable turn, I'd like to point something simple: the views of a wacky bunch of murdering rednecks shouldn't colour anyone's perception of the rights or wrongs of any given decision.
    I agree and you know the ironic thing about this?
    Yup it's the KKK's opinion on catholicism....
    Whether you are lapsed or practising they'd have you burned to a cross aswell, because you may be Irish and white white,(woe betide if you're Irish and any other colour) but you're not an anglo saxon protestant....

Kinda says it all about the value of their opinion on matters in this country really...

Advertisement