Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Not Compute, Temple Bar

• 15-07-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Since moving to the temple bar area a few months ago, I often went to the Does Not Compute Internet cafe between parliament st and cows lane..

As far as I know it was the first in Dublin and probably the best.. Wanderlust, the show on RTE a few years ago used it, if you remember that show... (they should bring it back)

anywho, i was walking home past it the other day and there is a big sign on the window saying that they have shut down and are selling everything in the place...

It was a really nice place... Anyone know what happened? You can email info@doesnotcompute.ie for info on the auction/sale, but its a pity its closing down...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Used to do a lot of lans there years ago, RIP dnc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

That place was very popular. I cant understand why they would shut down.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah it was always full whenever i passed by...

saying that though the PCs were getting on a bit, and maybe it is cheaper to sell up and move somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

that was the best internet cafe in dublin a couple years back, although as tba said the pc's were getting on a bit and the infamous upgrade was always planned but never quite happened.

were they still doing the gaming nights right up to the end?

• Advertisement

as far as I know, but I haven't done one in years

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Probably something to do with their charging system never working properly (it never did when I was there). I was in there for nearly 3 hours once and only 30 mins showed up on the register.

Still, had my share of fun gaming nights there ;_; .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Used to have alot of fun there....

I was talkin to the owner (Gary I think) about a year ago and he said they'd be getting allnew pc's in about 2 months.

Obviously not.

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

There overnight licence/ability was taken as the surrounding area is residential and they complained about noise/non sense that went on.

dunno bout them being the first netcafe in dublin but they did out price most of the competition.
    The machines were ancient though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Are they still above the Bleeding Horse in Camden St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Nope, they sold that on ages ago. Sad to see DNC closing down, many fond memories from that place and the staff/owners were all sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

R.I.P. dnc :(

Does anyoen remember what spec their machines were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

p3 circa 800mhz last time i was in there anyways. those lovely trinitron monitors and zip drives in most machines and a lot of RAM made them seem a lot higher specced though.

the one above bleeding horse is still open afiak, is it definitely not owned by them anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    As far as I know it was the first in Dublin and probably the best
    DNC is about 4 years old, Cyberia was in the Temple Bar Multi-Media Centre 8-9 years ago and had contemporaries.
    Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    the one above bleeding horse is still open afiak, is it definitely not owned by them anymore?
    The Bleeding Horse are running themselves these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    were they still doing the gaming nights right up to the end?
    I think they were broght to court, or something, due to the noise, that the smokers made when they came out every hour or so.

Ye@h was also good (a shi7 load of PC's with nice specs), but they closed :(

So... is there many good net cafe's still around?

Oblivion is meant to have sweet machine's, and ICSL took place there not too long ago. BF42 and BFV is meant to be able to run on their machine's, and there's about 20 or so machines there. Its about 2 minutes off Grafton Street.

Does anyone know what their hourly rate is, tho?

That + the machines usually show what kind of class a net cafe has :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by Victor
    The Bleeding Horse are running themselves these days.

I was working there last before it was handed over to the bar staff to run. I walked in one day and had a mess on the computers. I went start -> run -> cmd alt+enter and told the girl behind the counter my computer is messed up. She freaked out - said ''Um, turn it off with the button, then turn it on again and tell me if there is any difference'' I did, then turned it on and start-> run -> cmd alt+enter... Free internet for abusing the bar staff aww yea! :)

Ill learn them for taking my job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RIP some good times in there.

where's the best place now to play that preferably has steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

shame to see DNC gone, wired and oblivion are still good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

DNC rocked. I always prefered the Bleedin horse one. Less busy (Guess thats why they are gone).

Was always good fun for CS used to play a lot of day lans there. They were so much better then staying up all night playing games :D

The owner used to post here under hte name "megolome" or something like that. Sad to see the place go :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 HostMan

I'm very surprised by this... DNC IMHO was by far the best internet cafe in Dublin.

Surely the place was making money? I can't imagine the rent being too high in that dead end part of temple bar...

Strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Rip, many good times there.

Best of luck Gary whatever your up to now.

-Coz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Originally posted by damnyanks
    DNC rocked. I always prefered the Bleedin horse one. Less busy (Guess thats why they are gone).

Naw they're gone because it was the scene of employment of one of the most annoying twirps known to man, and people stopped going. Dunno his name, but he was always there and usually left with a stuppid leather jacket on him, lokki?

What a rude f*ckFace, made me wanna thrash the place on several occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yea best of look Gary / Clayton / Martin etc.

Dnc certainly was the best net cafe the country has ever seen.

Originally posted by aphex™
    Naw they're gone because it was the scene of employment of one of the most annoying twirps known to man, and people stopped going. Dunno his name, but he was always there and usually left with a stuppid leather jacket on him, lokki?

HAhaha yeah I remember lokki :) Used to play clan games against the one he was in every Sunday (R&D vs HB oooh arrrr)

Course we rocked. I remember I had a talking bomb at the time n all, twas grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well good news for you, he's been working in Austria for the last year and a half, don't think he's coming back either.

On a side note:

I will surely miss DNC not only coz it was local to me and staff were really nice ppl, but the fact it's shone above any other place i've tried and the last 4&half years i been going there have been well spent imo.

Good Luck to all the staff who worked there and hopefully we get another café which is just as enjoyable.

yeah damnyanks , Gary posts here as Meglome , a Mod on the Games board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sign of things to come. A lot of their customers were 56k users who wanted to play games.

Now with broadband those people don't have to leave their home.

I saw the same thing happening in Boston when I first moved there.

The cafes that will surive will be the ones that diverse up what they do. For example, the cheap phone call cafes will probably last longer.

But even they will find less business with other easy alternatives (Eg. phone cards, www.telestunt.ie ).

The only ones I can see surviving are the shops with internet access (eg. Coffee shops with wireless connecction). Costs are low in relation to the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by HostMan
    I'm very surprised by this... DNC IMHO was by far the best internet cafe in Dublin.

Surely the place was making money? I can't imagine the rent being too high in that dead end part of temple bar...

Strange...

Yeah definitely the best...

The place was always pretty full when I walked by so they must have been making some sort of decent money...

The rent in that particular building would be high enough id say... the office furniture place next door to them also closed a few weeks before and moved to another premises...

Maybe it was a case of the rent going up.. greedy landlords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well the DNC above the bleedin horse was taken over by two guys for a while two years ago and called the place Net Explore, but left after a few months cos it was costin too much, rent of premises, rent on leased line and all the pc's needed upgrading, loads of the graphics cards burned out etc.
    So the lads in the Bleeding horse have been running it ever since.

The DNC in temple bar was a great place, but far to relaxed taking in money. I use to go in for a few hours a pay a quid. plus as Hobbes said, broadband is slowly killin lans in internet cafes.

RIP DNC
    (You'll be missed)

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Snow [something] was his name. He's on boards, me thinks.
    Sound, but get annoying, and a few peeps who I know didn't get along with him, so I say thats the reason.

Said dude stole 20 copies of a particular game, and failed to try to sell them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭futility_

Ah can't believe it's closed. Almost went over earlier tonite for a few games for old times sake :(

I spose though, once bb became available I couldn't be arsed playing games on those old pc's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I can still remember the Magic Tree hanging in the corner of the jacks.

That place was crammed but of Asians at 4am, could never get a seat in the place at night-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Snow [something]

Snowball :/ ? maybe

was in [SN] for a while and [NsK] maybe im thinking of netshop though, he could have gone to workin dnc though when Netshop closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Wasnt snowball, was Loki (Lovin').

Ooooh watch out for lex... he was always a bad apple. Although it was a good change, people could sterotype the computer game people are big ol nerdy types :D

Along comes lex, robs a car* and continues on to the lan

*Slight exageration, he stole a clock from a stationary car at the lights

• Advertisement

Although on a side note, when we did those sunday games they rarely charged us more 3 punts for about 6 hours worth of games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 melgip2000

heya,
    I worked for Does not compute (eddie) and i will miss the place.. it has been a few weeks now and i dont know what to do hehe, the staff and customers were great and i would like to thank all of you for the warm welcomes etc etc..

Eddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by tba
    That place was very popular. I cant understand why they would shut down.:(

Probably because they've been priced out of the market by places like Easy Internet cafe, plus losing their overnight licence would have driven away a large amount of custom.
    Used to love that place, had friends who worked there, but last few times I was in there it was always full of asian teens who lacked the ability to STFU when gaming :-/ Last thing I want when i'm paying to use the net is a load of teens screeching around me, heh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rip dnc,

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

The DNC in temple bar was a great place, but far to relaxed taking in money. I use to go in for a few hours a pay a quid.

Yup, me too. On many an occasion I paid nothing because I was only there for 10 minutes.

Customer service is important, but that's pushing things a bit if money is low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

rip my home from home you will be sorely missed.

I spent the day after my debs half asleep in there. the only guy playing cs in a tux (everyone else casual) looked very wierd in the photo i have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EbonyJones

dnc was really great. The staff were fantastic and really helpful. Sad that it's gone.

Advertisement