Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vnc &rfb 003.008

Options
  • 15-07-2004 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

just wondering if anybody could help..When i try to connect to vnc from my web browser i get the messege RFB 003.008 I have tried connecting to it on a few machines and recieve the same messege. Anybody know what it means and how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

RFB = Remote FrameBuffer. It's the protocol used to enable remote access to a GUI.

I've never tried to connect to a VNC server from a Web Browser until I saw your post. I got exactly the same result which makes sense. It would appear that "RFB 003.008" is the VNC server identifying its protocol and version to the connecting client.

I didn't know you could connect to a VNC server from a Web Browser. I suppose that, in order for this to work, your browser would need the necessary plug-in. If this has been working until recently, have you changed your browser?

However, the quick solution is to try connecting to the VNC server with a VNC Viewer instead of a Web Browser.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Thanks Liam, however, the viewer is no good to me due to firewall restrictions in place that i can't do anything about...however, even when i try to connect from a different pc i still the the same messege that doesnt have a firewall, and that was working for me only a few days ago.

Even on the pc which i am using now behind the firewall used to be able to coonect using the web interface.

However, yesterday i re-installed the operating system on the pc running vnc so i am guessing the problem is there, any ideas on how to solve it?

i am running norton firewall on the server pc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

OK, I think I know what the problem is.

VNC has a small web server to which you can connect. Click on RealVNC/VNC Server/Show Default Properties and tick "Enable Java Viewer".

You can now use a web browser as a viewer but you must point it to the correct port. eg http://someaddress:5800

This launches a Java VNC Viewer in your browser. Of course, you must also have Java installed on your system.

Hope this works for you.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Thanks Liam I'll give it a try as soon as i get home

Thanks again

Kevin

Advertisement