Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP error type c0000218

Options
  • 15-07-2004 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got a blue screen on my Dell Dimewnsion PC (1.5 yrs old) with error c0000218. Some class of Hive issue (apparently).

I've tried using the restore console (from the CD) but it's asking me for the Dell Administrator password. I read somewhere that pressing enter was OK if on passwords set - however pressing enter doesn't work on this case as their must be a password set (by Dell??).

Anybody any ideas? I'm kinda stuck at the mo and need a dig out.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Sounds like the registry is corrupt alright.

Don't know about the admin password thing. You could always try entering your service tag on Dell's Reinstall Guide to see if there are any clues there.

Failing all of that, you could reinstall the OS and you shouldn't loose any of your data. Only thing is that the registry will probably be rebuilt and you'll have to reinstall software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

0xc0000218

The STATUS_CANNOT_LOAD_REGISTRY_FILE bug check has a value of 0xC0000218. This indicates that a registry file could not be loaded.

This might help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314874

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks for your help. I can't get passed the Dell Administrator password. Any idea what is could be or how to avoid it.

I'm sure if I could get around this I could use the restore console to rectify file

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Well, from what I know about Dell systems (which admitedly isn't much!), they use SysPrep when they ship their machines. This means that when you initially start Windows XP, it'll ask you what Administrator password you want to have on the system.
    So more than likely this password was provided by you the first time you booted the system.

Thanks - I'll try it when I get home and will revert tomorrow morning (or tonight if back in the land of the PC living).

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Since you have physical access to the system there are many ways to replace the admin password. :D But TBH unless it is a simple/obvious problem* with the reg you should consider it a data recovery exercise before a clean reinstall. (corrupt registires don't improve with age)

* are you out of disk space ?
    if it is fat 32 you might be able to look/copy the files in c:\windows\repair by booting off a dos disk
    what was the last thing you did before it went belly up.

Have tried all the permutations of passwords to no avail. The last thing I did before it went tits up was to access boards on the web and then switch it off (I may have unplugged the PC before it had fully powered down - somebody was talking to me at the time and this is a distinct probability).

Loads of disk space left.

Advertisement