Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

software removal

Options
  • 15-07-2004 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

a friend send me up his dell as it was generally running like crap and wanted me to take a look at it.

i removed the sasser worm from it and a number of pieces of spyware using adaware and spybot search and
    destroy.

installed a new version of system mechanic to generally clear the crap out of the system, which can with some panda anti virus software.

i wanna remove this software from the system now but there seems to be an issue with the uninstaller for panda antivirus.

i can't seem to delete the folder from the program files as something from it always seems to be in use even in safe mode.

so can someone tell me how to manually get rid of this piece of software so i can give the computer back.

cheers data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gabbo

Make sure the anti virus software does not start on startup, you might have to go into the registry to clarify this
    Start->Run
    type regedit

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    then expand software
    then microsoft
    then windows
    then current version
    then run
    Check the values in the left hand screen when this folder is selected and make sure none of them point to the anti-virus software if there is one there just delete it
    But you have to be very careful when dealing with the registry cos if you delete the wrong thing you could **** up the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

grand i deleted the two reg entries there that deal with that

i still can't remove the program folder though

whats the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

What OS is it?

If XP or 2000, hold down [CTRL][SHIFT][ESC] to bring up Task Mangler and kill the running exe which appears to be preventing your delete. Should be a simple matter of looking for EXE's in the Panda Program Files directory and seeing if it's present in the running processes list.

It might be, also, that the anti-virus is running as a service. To stop it, you'll need to go into Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and have a look to see if Panda is mentioned anyway. Stop the necessary service (if possible - might be what's causing the uninstall grief) and try to uninstall/delete.

Failing all of that, boot the machine from a DOS floppy and then manually delete the directory.

Advertisement