Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gig reviews

Options
  • 15-07-2004 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

hi i just thought it'd be cool if people gave their opinions of any of the gigs that they have been to recently in cork..i'll start..i went to the ''mission of burma'' gig last wed in the old oak...''sea change'' was supporting...i have to say i enjoyed it, was a good night out but i was a bit disappointed with the main band, they weren't as good as i had hoped, i could definitely hear a bit of sonic youth in their music ........songs were a bit ''samey'' and one of the vocalists sounded like he was trying to imitate ''johnny rotten'' with his fake english accent.....one thing that was funny was when they said ''hi, were from a part of the world thats run by an evil dictator, and we hope he will be out of power very soon''..something along those lines, noone said anything, i think they were expecting us to go yaaa!!!! or whatnot, but i think everyone just wanted to forget about bush for that night , after june 25th.......im glad i went but i dont think i would see them again......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Gig-wise, Cork has been very disapointing this Summer, it seems none of the musicians outside of the country are willing to come here. Unfortunately, this isn't just a bad year but rather a recurring trend, it's a shame that I went to more gigs as an underage nipper than I do now two years after I'm able to get in legally! Looking ahead though, Rodrigo y Gabriela are well worth seeing but it's not like they're never going to come here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

id say they will, they were in glor in ennis and thats an even smaller venue,dont they live in ireland because they seem to be everywhere??...i missed the ''warlords of pez'' gig that was on a few months ago in the lobby...would have loved to see that..:dunno:

They must be based in Ireland, I do know that they're from Mexico originally though.

Warlords of Pez? I saw them aaagggees ago just after they were starting out (I think it was Nancy Spains or the Spailpín), suprised at how well they're doing :D

do you like them?? i have heard one or two of their songs, both very psychotic:p ...remember that song that was on ''no disco'' waay back??..''padre pio padre pio..'' hilarious.....if you like that kind of music=mashing you should check out cloudhead......

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    do you like them?? i have heard one or two of their songs, both very psychotic:p ...remember that song that was on ''no disco'' waay back??..''padre pio padre pio..'' hilarious.....if you like that kind of music=mashing you should check out cloudhead......

They're ok! Like Fred I find them just a little gimmicky, probably great to see live though. Found a link to that Padre Pio on video, now if only I had Quicktime to view it http://www.warlordsofpez.com/video/bigwebpio.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Saw Fred a few weeks back good live show, have to say never heard of them before I walked into the pub and they were playing.

Was at Erin Mckeown in the half moon on friday night, very good show I most say, yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yes Rodrigo y Gabriela are based in Dublin and they are coming back again to Cork to play the Crusicin Lan on August 1st.
    I disagree with you I think they're have been quite a few good bands playing over the last few months. For some reason I've missed the best of them. I think what you'll find most are bands pushing their first album playing here e.g. Dogs Die in Hot Cars who played a few weeks back and now are getting a lot of press and radio play, mad I missed it. With The Savoy set to reopen I think you'll get bigger bands over the coming months.
    As for Warlords of Pez don't know their stuff at all but they seem to have a big cult following now and will try to see them when they come back to Cork.

Was also at Erin McKeon last Friday. Both her and the guy supporting her, his name escapes me now, were very entertaining. It could have been the Heineken in me talking, but even though I had never really listened to Erin's music before I really enjoyed it. She gave me 5 on the hand when she was finished performing, and signed my ticket afterwards. She is small but real cute!

havent heard of her before..what kind of music does she play??..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Probably Peter Mulvey in support ??

Saw Christie Moore last night in a rare set with Luka Bloom - Declan Sinnott in support

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement