Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARP cache

Options
  • 15-07-2004 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

How do you flush ARP cache on a NIC when repairing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dunno about Windows, but I believe ARP entries only live about 15 minutes on Linux. Why do you want to flush the cache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

its throwing an error when i try to repair the connection. says it can't do it. No other reason really . just wondering what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

On windows 2K

arp -d *

removes all entries in the arp table.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Can anyone tell me what exactly Windows does when you tell it to "repair" a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well it's supposed to do the following:

1. Clear arp, routing and IP address of the interface
    1.1 (Maybe if DHCP) Get a new IP address
    2. Test the propose IP address for conflicts
    3. Set IP address of the interface and insert into the routing table

Whether it does or not now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on earlier versions of windows ARP entries are deleted after 2 minutes if not used. If used then they are deleted after 10 minutes.

arp -a to see the current list in case of static entries

Advertisement