Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba for 27 million

• 15-07-2004 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

ive got to say being a chelsea fan that this is way too much for a player who hasnt proved himself at the highest level

I mean marseille must be taking the piss
    The fact that no one else is even looking at the player makes me have grave reservations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does it really make a difference that he hasn't played at the highest level??

If he's crap they'll just sell him ;)

Bought for £4 million a year ago and now £27. Thanks Chelsea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

if i was abromovich even earning 2 million a day in interest there isnt a hope i would be held to such randsom
    I would go for the cheaper more proven option of morientes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you see its Murinho who's the manager not Abski.

Point taken re: the money for a player with one season played though, jaysus Rooney has more experience!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

he could buy schevchenko for that kinda money!
    if it were any other team they would have sold him for less then half that.
    chelsea's reputation for paying over the odds is going to make all deals like this for them. they should just walk away from the deal and make the point that they won't pay ridiculous money. they could get saviola easy i reckon. he is top class. so is adriano.

they could get morientes for 8 million squid
    Marseille are in financial difficulty
    They should wait
    then offer them 5 million next year when the boys contract is up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Ah, the Peter Kenyon syndrome strikes again. United had this problem for years paying over the odds for players when Kenyon was involved in negotiations. Its been noticable that the sums of money involved in Uniteds transfers have dramatically dropped since Kenyon left, with Saha being the most expensive.

we had trevor birch why change
    That langer Agent thats why
    lad this drogba fella will be the biggest flop in history if chelsea buiy him for that kinda dosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by evilhomer
    chelsea's reputation for paying over the odds.
    He hasn't paid over the odds for any player yet. Maybe £15m for Veron was a bit much but it was still almost double what United paid.

Quote from original chief executive, Paul Smith:
    "We do care about the money and it’s a misconception that we don’t.

There’s not a finite budget but we want to get good value. Roman is a businessman and is determined not to get ripped off. We won’t pay the tourist price."

Maybe Kenyon will change that but I doubt they'll pay £27m for a 26 year old player with only one season of fame.

Also, it took them about 3 bids to get from £15m to £17m for Duff so he's not throwing his money away.

Eirebhoy, you are missing my point. Kenyon wasn't at Chelsea for the transfer of Duff/ Veron/Bridge/Cole/Geremi etc. or any of last summers purchases for Chelsea. he came to Chelsea half through the season. While his expertise may be in setting up a club as a worldwide brand, I honestly believe Kenyon is a disaster in the transfer market. Look at the negotiations that Kenyon was involved in Utd: Veron almost 30 million, Ferdinand 30 million, Ronaldo 12 million, Forlan 7.5 million, etc etc. The only deal that he was involved in where United got any Value for money was Van Nistleroy which was 19.5 million if I rememnber correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by evilhomer
    he could buy schevchenko for that kinda money!

they should just walk away from the deal and make the point that they won't pay ridiculous money. they could get saviola easy i reckon. he is top class. so is adriano.

Maybe saviola, but There is no you'd get either of the other two for 27million, Adriano only signed for inter 6 months ago and Milan have already turned down an ofer of 60million + Crespo for Shevchenko just before the start Euro 2004.

I reckon they should sign Tevez from Boca or Samual Eto'o, eith either for half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Seaneh
    Maybe saviola, but There is no you'd get either of the other two for 27million, Adriano only signed for inter 6 months ago and Milan have already turned down an ofer of 60million + Crespo for Shevchenko just before the start Euro 2004.

I reckon they should sign Tevez from Boca or Samual Eto'o, eith either for half the price.

27 million is over the top considering liverpool got the top scorer in the french league for almoat half that price.

It will all end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I have my doubts over Drogba. He has one good season where he scored 30 goals and he gets a £27million price tag. I think Chelsea will pay that because Crespo is gone to Milan now so Murinho will want Drogba.
    The only good bargins Chelsea have gotten is Bridge for £7million and Duff for £17million. I know £17mill is alot but when you think United paid £30mill for Veron its a bargin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like the way Chelsea have to pay huge prices for eveything now, they have taken over Man Utd thing about always havign to pay twice the price for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and when u think about what happens if Abramovich leaves .

Liquidation is what I think would happen .

followed by Chelsea F.C. to be but a name in the history books .

The players wages at Chelsea must be massive .

That would never happen
    All the players Are re salable because they are young and class
    We Are not in debt
    We are not borrowing from the bank
    Wages are 60 percent currently of chelseas current turnover
    Meaning if abramovich left in the morning we could still afford all the players
    We are not leeds or man city being dumbasses and taking loans against future gate receipts

obiously Chelsea are taking loans , why would they when thev'e a sugar Daddy .

If its true that wages only amount to 60% of the turnover then there may not be that many problems .

Unless if the way Abraovich structures deals is that he pays a lot later .

A lot of the contracts are performance based
    Thats what birch was good at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well Mouro has set deadline for next Wed for the signings Tiago and Drogba if they are not completed by then, he'll be ending the interest. Morientes is good but only got 10 league goals last year but he's really clever at holding up the ball.

Chelsea team for tomorrow against Oxford.

Cudicini

Johnson Steve Watt Huth Babayaro

Geremi Smertin Parker Cole

Kezman Gudjohnsen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

As a Cantab I look forward to something of a massacre.

A goal difference of less than +15 in Chelsea's favour will be a letdown.

Only a friendly but good competitive game, finished 1-1 Kezman equalised, him and Gudjohnsen had a good understanding. Smertin impressed too.

• Advertisement

Drogba 24 mil deal done, to be announced tomorrow: sky sports news.

Originally posted by smuckers
    Drogba 24 mil deal done, to be announced tomorrow: sky sports news.

too much for a player of his quality .

I have to agree with you there, far too much but time will tell. Kezman I think cud be a bargian.

I agree with you on Kezman , he is a lot more promissing a striker .

I have been very impressed by him at PSV .

It looks like Smertin is prepared to roll up his sleeves but could come up a cropper against the better midfielders in the PL.

He was brilliant for Pompey last season , and when judging his performance last season with Makelele , Smertin comes out on top for me .

He was much more consistent, Claude went through a dip in form after The Bolton game CFC lost but was the best player that day. His passing was never really accurate to be honest but it really detiorated from then on. S Parker finally gets to play in CM and did v well, his passing is v crisp. Smertin got MOTM today The American tour will be interesting.

The tour will be interesting but pre season tours can be very different to what will happen when the season starts .

Forlan and Veron had a very good tour for United , yet made very little impact in the league last year .

V true its going to be a v interesting season.

• Advertisement

I was impressed with Smertin in the Euro Championships as a makeshift centre half. fair enough he made a lot of reckless challenges, but at least he wasnt afraid of making a tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by smuckers
    The American tour will be interesting.
    Is it going to be televised? Last years Malaysian cup/tour was on Sky.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Is it going to be televised? Last years Malaysian cup/tour was on Sky.

Which makes me wonder why this years wasnt .
    The toon lost to Malaysia on penalties :( .

It(the American tour) should be on Chelsea's tv channel .

Yea its on CFC TV.

Advertisement