Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom:The Beginning

• 15-07-2004 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys,
    Well Ive taken the plunge in to the World Of Eircom Broadband.
    Ive decided to make a tread to map my trip from Ordering it to finaly going online with them.
    Through this Post i will list the Highs and the Lows of my Experiences with Eircom for those out there that considering signing up.
    I will of course update this post as often as possible.

I have seen every other post relating to anything to deal with Eircom and with fingers crossed hope that it is smooth sailing.

Firstly A little about me.....
    I work in a top IT company Doing Tech support.
    Supporting Loads of applications, Email, Lotus Notes, Explorer Windows OS, Networks Etc...etc......
    I like IT, Heck you could say im a geek , and not afraid to say it.

My Current Situation is this......

I live in the Blanchardstown area, in a group of Apts called Waterville.
    I share it with the Owner and 3 other lads.
    I hate to say it but im the only one in the whole place who has a clue about computers, when ever " They " have problems they call me. Ive no Probs with that.

Anyway, We all use the Internet on a Simple Dial up connection, And for the last while ive been puching for broadband to be installed.
    Which we have now just ordered.......

We went for the free 3 month offer inclueding A wireless router, Wireless USB point for the Desktop one of the lads have , and also one Wireless card for anohter fella.

We signed the Deal on the 13th of July, ahd the Sales rep pop on over and try to convince us we needed it, to be honest it was a easy deal, but i was pushing for the Wireless option as well , feck wires i say.

Anyway when i asked them tech questions they where reasonably good , but then I got the feeling that they had it all well rehearsed anyway, I hate sales People anyway, theyd sell you your Air u breath recyled if they could get money out of it.

Anyway I asked when we could expect the Gear? they said there will be a high demand for the ADSL because of the Promotion but reckon about 3-4 weeks.
    I thought to myself thats sounds fair enough .

But he did try to force us in to another extra 12 months just because we deceid to buy a Wireless router from them!!! BUll**** i said, check this out with your manger and ill be having a look on your Website to which it had no referance to this Crap.

So when he got back to me HE told ME that I was RIGHT!!
    Of course iwas right yop muppet head!!!

Anyway, Right now im getting the lads systems ready for the Wireless netwokr that will come, Easy really, ive already got a Internal 802.11B card on my laptop , installed anohter on anohter of the lads latop and we can connect via Ad-HOc , nop bother.

Now just waiting for the Gear to arive and then set it all up.

Anyway Ill be posting info as when i get it for any of you interested in what happens when you order from Eircom and hope to show a true experience for you all, I hope that it goes well!!

If anyone has any questions or thoughts or something is not clear just ask!!!

Angelus!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Why did you pick eircon over the other big 2, I'm going to go broadband in the next couple of weeks just hav'ent decided who to go with yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i take it you ordered a residential package?

sharing a 4/8gb cap between all of you should be fun:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by tman
    i take it you ordered a residential package?

sharing a 4/8gb cap between all of you should be fun:D

Agreed :D

Atleast with IOL a 16GB cap is somewhat do-able if everyone watches it, but to be honest 4 or 8GB is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Angelus_of_eire

Well....
    The reason we went for Eircom is that it would be a Hassle if we got it from some other ISP as they offering it thru Eircoms Systems anyway, I figured that it might be less hassle this way from a Tech probelm.
    Example being that if i was with UTV , an there was a probelm they might blame Eircom as they would own the line, but at least this was i keep things simple.

As for the Cap we are aware of the 4GB cap on teh Reideantl package but have decied that if we need more we can always go up to 8GB anyway.

Ive run in to a Problem already but its not Eircom related.....

Tried to Ad-Hoc 2 Laptops(WInXPPro and WinXP HOME) together bt with no luck.
    Useng the network Wizard ive created a SSID called simply Wireless, which they can both see, however WinXpPro cant seem to access the Workgroup MSHOME, which is what ibe given the name to the Default Workgroup.
    WInXP HOME can See and go in to the Workgroup and see its self in there and anythig that is shared. WInXP PRo cant seem to access this work group , says that teh Workgroup is inaccessable, Strange i thought so im gonna have a look around the Net and see what happens.

Any thoughts?
    Peter

Ive found a few bit of info that im going to try tonite.
    If anyone has probelms with Ad-hocing 2 PCs then take a look at this KB from MS.

The error i receive is:Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. THis is only on the WinXP PRo Laptop, XP HOME is ok.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318030
    Will also look at the Firewall but im sure ive turned that off too.

• Advertisement

Hey,
    Well i spent some hours on trying to get the 2 laptops going it seemed that with every step and every rebooth brought me closer to the goal, checking and rechecking uninstalling firewalls and so forth, but the best i can get them to do is that only one of them can see each other so far.
    Anyway im still looking in to it , if anyones got any ideas do let me know!
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I see some ppl have asked " why eircom" and a reasonable answer has been given , but also after reading these boards since dsl was launched , I have very seldom come accross posts relating to eircom dsl problems , speed wise , downtime , or ping related . Which is why I have decided to transfer over to them aswell .

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If it doesn't bother you that you'll be paying for the most expensive dsl connection, with the lowest cap (which is apparently being fully enforced from the start of august - lots of cash if you edge over it), then work away. It suits some people, but I think it's fair to say that of all the offers, eircoms is the least suitable for your average boards user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Moriarty
    If it doesn't bother you that you'll be paying for the most expensive dsl connection, with the lowest cap (which is apparently being fully enforced from the start of august - lots of cash if you edge over it), then work away. It suits some people, but I think it's fair to say that of all the offers, eircoms is the least suitable for your average boards user.

I know all this and am not particularly happy with it , but I am first and foremost a games player , I have spent the first 12 month contract ( with UTV ) being extremely dissapointed with what BB has to offer . I have spent the last 2 months not being able to play games online between the hours of 7:30 till 12 midnight . I want to play god damn it :o , and with a low and stable ping for a while . btw my d/ls never exceded 4 gig on any of the last 12 months .

John

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i went for eircom too after spending days reading about the different options and reactions to services here on boards.ie before I made my decision. I wanted low pings, constant stable service that works 24/7. Sure the cap is tight and the price slightly higher but at least it feels like proper fast broadband all the time, theres practicallly a new tread about utv or iol problems almost on a daily basis on boards, that alone put me off eircoms opposition immediately. Im in no way a fan of eircom, most of my friends have been to hell and back with them but at least their broadband works 100% when you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

with eircom your paying an bit extra and getting an smaller cap but you are gaurenteed an service 24/7 and low pings, our avarage pings are between 31and35 ms .

With iol you seem to be paying less and getting more as it were, but quality of service seems to vary from person to person so your 16gb cap is of little use if your service is slow and high pings

Utv same as iol

Netsource if your an business is great :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what are netsources pings like thes days? are they are good as eircoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

they are near the same, avaraging at about 35ms.

Serivce is as good as eircom, we use Netsource and Eircom on our lines. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Netsource 512kb

C:\Documents and Settings\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 44ms

While I am downloading at 13 kb/sec and uploading at 1 kb/sec with BitTorrent

Hey Guys,

Well the Half the gear has arrived yesterday.
    Just the Basic MOdem Setup, we had to ring back to Eircom and ask where the Wireless gear was, it turns out that it wasnt even ordered even though on the form that i have its cleraly marked, Fecking Sales Staff I hate the lot of them!!!!

Anyway, we order the Wireless gear , Wireless Modem, Desktop adpaeter and a Wireless Card , was told that it should be with me in 5 days .

So We had a go at setting it up, Heck a Monkey on Acid could do this , its all colour coded on the cables and the Manuals are well Written i think.

But as luck would have it the DSL hasnt been switched on , Feck!!

Rang them up on first call we where told this Thursday , and for the crack i rang them up again and was told Wed Next!! Dont think they know them selves to be honest but we wait in hope on Thursday.

I sure as feck dont want to wait 2-3 weeks for some nut to simply switch it on at the Exchange.

Anyway have probelms with them switching the DSL on??

Peter

Well guys,

It was short and fairly Sweet.

Our DSL was turned on yesterday and we are all now hooked up via a wireless modem.
    Encountered no Problems at all really just had to do a little configuring and it was all done.

Although im a bit Mad that you have to BUY your Firewall for the Wireless router!!! Mad I thought!!!

Anway thansk to those who posted im just glad that i did run in to any probelms like some people on this site have .

regards

Advertisement