Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G.A.A Rule Book

• 15-07-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

This may have been posted before,but does anybody kow if you can buy a G.A.A. Rule book and if so where??

Killian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kegathor

You can buy it in the Croker gift shop as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Go to the GAA website, if you can't order it there send someone an email asking how you can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

a player sent off in normal time can be replaced in eXtra time , hhhmmm me didnt know that .

3 extra substitusions are allowed in extra time aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kieran connolly

I have a photo of the goal posts in the 1903 All Ireland football final and they are very different to modern goal posts. I would be very grateful for any information on the scoring system used at this time in the G.A.A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Big Ears wrote: »
    a player sent off in normal time can be replaced in eXtra time , hhhmmm me didnt know that.

This occurred during the hurling qualifier match between Wexford and Clare, both in the first match and in the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

As far as I know, the scoring system was similar to that currently used in Australian rules. Four posts, a ball through the centre two was a goal and a ball inside the outer posts was a point. I also think that a goal out-weighed any number of points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This occurred during the hurling qualifier match between Wexford and Clare, both in the first match and in the replay.

In the 11 years since my post I've come to see plenty of examples :P

http://www.google.ie/search?q=gaelic+football+1903&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fOGbVYXHLMTkUp_2gJAH&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=5_guz1TaXp3CcM%3A

Is this the image being referred to from 1903 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I have a photo of the goal posts in the 1903 All Ireland football final and they are very different to modern goal posts. I would be very grateful for any information on the scoring system used at this time in the G.A.A.

The rules weren't always uniform from pitch to pitch in the early days, but as far as I can tell the scoring system developed as follows:

1884: Goals only. Pitch was effectively a soccer pitch. There was a 10 yard line running parallel to the end line, within which you weren't allowed to score.

1886: When so many games were ending scoreless, near misses began to be unofficially counted as "points". A team who scored nothing but got more near misses were unofficial winners of a match.
    Soon this became official when point posts were introduced, 2 posts stood 21 yards either side of the goals. A goal still outnumbered any number of points.

1894: Crossbar was slightly lowered, and a goal was made equal to 3 points.

(A funny little change occurred in 1896, which makes you wonder how big a problem it must have been at the time: "A goal stopped by a bystander is to be allowed if the referee adjudges that the ball would have crossed the line otherwise")

1901: Posts moved to 15 feet either side of the goals.

1903: Again, posts moved closer together, 12 feet either side of the goals.

1910: Modern goalposts introduced, the 10 yard line was reduced to the large rectangle, inside of which you couldnt score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kieran connolly

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I am impressed by your knowledge and very grateful that you have chosen to share it with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

There are no rules in the GAA. Well not strictly true but true enough.
    Congress meets once a year and everybody speaks but nobody listens. That's Rule 1 in the GAA.
    Rule 2 is a bit more complicated but I'll cut it down to understandable levels............every rule in the book
    must be broken in smiddereens if a team really wants to win. Yes, there are penalties in another part of the
    rule book but even Arthur Conan Doyle couldn't decipher which penalty applies to which transgression. This
    is a really smart ploy by the GAA top brass as it means there is always an escape route for those with a bit of clout.

The games themselves are generally reffed by a man who has never played the game at a level other than schoolyard stuff. He will most likely be the 'crawler' type who does the bidding of the bully boys off the field and on the field. He must not be intelligent and have a mind of his own. He will not be able to count past four and will not know the difference between a deliberate head high tackle and a shoulder charge.

There is no rule book as such because they add so many new unenforceable ones every year that it wouldn't be feasible and they really don't want anybody other than Frank Murphy to know these rules. He knows them so well and the others know so little that he can make up his own rules to suit as he goes along. Everybody is happy with that as it keeps the pot boiling and the proletariat in their place.

Advertisement