Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resetting the default browser to IE?

Options
  • 15-07-2004 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, yes, it sounds like an easy one but it's not. The images for our machines in work come with Windows and applications heavily customised, and as a result, most, if not all options in IE are greyed out, and can't be changed.
    Including the one which says "IE should check to see whether it is the default browser". In a moment of absent-mindedness I clicked on "Yes" when Firefox asked me if it could default, and now I can't change it back.
    So anyone know any tricks, reg hacks, etc? I need IE as default since most of our internal stuff only works in IE, and they're the links I get in my mail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Download Tweak 88 from this page at Kellys Koorner and run it to set default browsers:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have a look here, particularly the "check if default" entry.

As I remember, there's a big long list of things to be changed (this lists the start but if I remember correctly it's about 160 entries to get /everything/ swithed back) if you want to manually put it back to the way it was so changing that one entry and hopefully getting the popup box is a lot simpler.

That's:
    User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    Control Panel]
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    Control Panel]
    Data Type: REG_DWORD Check_if_Default
    Value Data: 0

edit: Mickey's solution might be easier. I'd try the above single key solution first if what's on the other page is an exe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I presume you don't have access to the "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the Control Panel then (if you're using Windows 2000 SP3/4 or XP SP1).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Dun
    I presume you don't have access to the "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the Control Panel then (if you're using Windows 2000 SP3/4 or XP SP1).
    Ah bollox. I forgot about that.

Cheers. Thanks for the other suggestions too guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dun
    Like an idiot I forgot about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Happens to the best of us at one time or another. :)

Advertisement