Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Story with EsatBT + Eircon

• 15-07-2004 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've had quiet a torrid ordeal with both these companies over the past month or so in trying to get broadband.

I applied for BB on 25th July via the phone with EsatBT and anxiously waited for my modem. After 10 working days I rang to see what was going to happen. "What order, sir?". They had lost my application. After a great deal of emails and phone calls, they found the application 3 days later and began processing it on the 8th July. All well and good I thought.

I rang up a few days ago to ask them for a Target Live date and they said that the application went through, however it came back "open-status" which apparently I was told meant that there was an order already placed on that line, and that Eircom are infamous for doing it even if you only enquire about BB which I had done on the 18th June. So I was told to ring them up and ask for a cancellation number.

Fuming, at Eircom hampering my chances of getting BB this week, I called them up, only to hear that they had no order placed on my number. So I rang them up again, this time the Eircom rep hadnt a clue what a cancellation number was "a what number?" so I rang again and the woman wasnt very helpful whatsoever, stating the obvious fact that Eircom and EsatBT are two different companies and that she didnt know why I was calling Eircom up because the problem "obviously lies with Esat" and that I should be calling them.

I went and rang Esat again and was told that they would place another order and make sure that Eircom wouldnt reject it. However, this was take 3 weeks, which I wasnt happy with at all! I rang another rep who told me that I could get a DSL Transfer form and he sent it in the post.

Later on tonight, I rang Esat's customer care department (something I should have done long ago) , however he said that "Eircom [might] have an inconsistency in their system and that I should keep ringing them and then they'll give me a cancellation number".

Has anyone had a problem similar to this? (especially the open status one)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

open status seems to be affecting a lot of users, there are a lot of threads that have stories like this.

Basically what happens is that a company reserves your port for a DSL line and that means that no other company can place an order for DSL on that line.

you have to get the original company to request that the reservation is cancelled, (i.e. get your cancellation number) and once that happens you know that your port has been freed up and the order can progress with the new company.

The problem is that the original company knows that they shouldn't have reserved your port and therefore they will delay the freeing up of it because when the reports are done comreg will be questioning them on why they have so many ports reserved and then cancelled!!

All you can do is keep calling the original company (in this case eircom) and insist that they cancel their reservation of your port..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Ive had lots of trouble with Eircom. I cancelled a BB order and they sent the modem ANYWAY (it was issued 5 days after I cancelled the order) and refused to take it back. It took me a full week of 2 hrs phone calls every day to finally find the correct person to complain to and get them to take the modem back without charging me for it.
    This bit really took the biscuit for me tho... when the sales person I was talking to told me that he wasn't sure of the procedure of returning the modem, I was extremely surprised to find that he was willing to suddenly start arguing with me and scream down the phone at me just because I asked to speak to the sales supervisor or manager!! :dunno:
    What ever happened to manners, pleasing the customer or even the age old phrase, "The customer is always right" ??

Then 6 months later I decided to try again... after nearly 5 weeks of them dragging their feet I was finally connected.
    Pure shoite customer service... in fact "customer service" is a concept which appears to be unknown to Eircom.net.
    I now have to wait 12 months until I can change over to NTL or else pay an extortionate disconnection fee to Eirhead.

I can't understand how a company can operate in this way and Eirhead.net are STILL in business??!!!!?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well Customer Care are trying to fix the problem as we speak.

Although I got several different answers from them:

1. It could be that the applicatiion hasn't gone through yet
    2. Another company has stolen your BB!

Is there any way to know what company has stolen my line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Herb Hribar is in charge of the bit of eircom that currently holds your line

Try

hhribar@eircom.ie
    herb.hribar@eircom.ie
    herb.hribar@eircomwholesale.ie
    hhribar@eircomwholesale.ie

One of them should get him, do tell us which one :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

cancellation number only applies if the broadband is actually in service with the other supplier, its a reference code for a cease order.

eircomnet odviously wouldnt know anything about it, you should try contacting wholesale yourself directly....

• Advertisement

Well nm, the eircon support reps didnt even know what 'open-status' was!

I'll have to wait until Monday, then the kind lady will call her colleagues in the BroadBand team and make it all okay! I know she won't do that, so I'll have to ring her on Monday to make her :(

Well I decided to send an email to good old Bill Murphy who's the CEO of EsatBT. I was amazed he actually replied, saying that he'll get someone on it to look at my order and that they'll be contacting me on Monday,

This they actually did, however I missed the call, but that didnt stop them, they then emailed me and informed me what was going on (something which I was longing to know since they "lost" my order.

If you cant get anything out of the sales staff, then I recommend you fire off an email to bill!

Advertisement