Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frei to miss Ireland match!

• 15-07-2004 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Frei got a 3 match ban for spitting at Gerrard but only has 2 more to serve because he sat out the France match. Switzerland's second match is against Ireland so he'll miss that match. Frei's strike parter, Chapuisat, retired after the world cup as did Stiel and Celestini. We have to beat them now, even though we're away from home.:)

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=207851.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This is very good news as Frei is they're biggest goal treath .

Its too bad Chapuisat retired , because he's just not up to internationel standard anymore .

any1 know if streller is fit from his broken leg , he missed the Euros with it and probably would have started ahead of Chapuisat .

The only thing im worried about now is that young lad who scored aginst France ( youngest goalscorer in a European Championship ) and if Hakin Yakin has a good day , and is 100% fit .

and even then I can see a comfortable 2-0 win for Ireland .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

yeah, that young lad who scored worries me. They say he is what Rooney is to England but that could be the papers talking. I really think we can get a result there i cant see us losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Frei is a scumbag.

Spitting is a disgusting habit, and IMO he has disgraced his nation, as he was representing them at the time.

I dont think the loss of frei changes the odds significantly for the match, as they have an able replacement, if as little inexeperienced.

X

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

IIRC Frei sat out the last Euro2004 match because of the spitting incident, yet he still gets banned for an additional 3 games?

Totti was banned for just 3 matches too wasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by kaids
    IIRC Frei sat out the last Euro2004 match because of the spitting incident, yet he still gets banned for an additional 3 games?
    Frei got a 3 match ban for spitting at Gerrard but only has 2 more to serve because he sat out the France match.

I don't think the Swizz have a player that can jump into Frei's shoe's. Frei has score 15 times in 29 games for Switzerland. Since Chapuisat is retired they will have to play two inexperienced forwards with an aggregate cap total of about 5 (unless they play with 1 up front).

• Advertisement

Just to let you know that Ireland are at 7/1 to win the group with Bet Direct, certainly worth a flutter.

http://www.betdirect.net/betdirect?action=go_dd&sport=football&level=EVENT&id=175030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Just to let you know that Ireland are at 7/1 to win the group with Bet Direct, certainly worth a flutter.

http://www.betdirect.net/betdirect?action=go_dd&sport=football&level=EVENT&id=175030

I'll have a tenner of that!

TBH Ireland should be well capable of taking 4 points off Switzerland in the group games, the Swiss are very ordinary (forget Euro 2004 qualifiers)

I don't think the Swizz have a player that can jump into Frei's shoe's. Frei has score 15 times in 29 games for Switzerland.
    He also scored the same amount of goals in the French league as the man who's valued at £27m, Didier Drogba.

He also scored the same amount of goals in the French league as the man who's valued at £27m, Didier Drogba.

14 , such an amazing tally for any player in the French league . :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Big Ears
    14 , such an amazing tally for any player in the French league . :rolleyes:
    19 goals in 28 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

7/1 .. 3rd favourites to win ? I would defintely take that bet. We can certainly beat the Swiss. We were a team after all in total transformation and morale was at the lowest point in years. We have beaten better teams with worse players manys a time.

Personally, I think we look a far stronger team with Kerr now than ever before, we have far more options , technically better, better organised, etc etc. Kerr has done al the basics right and I cant see silly mistake happening like the holland match under Mc Carthy.

FRANCE:-
    They have reached their peak even before they won the world cup, this team has been around for a while and is defintely on the way down. They defintely wont win all of their games. A win and a draw for us.

SWITZERLAND:-
    One or two good players, but generally a poor footballing side. History to put to bed, so the lads will be really up for it in Basel. (I want revenge and revenge bad !!) We should really beat them both away and deftinely at home, im going for 2 wins

ISRAEL:-
    Maybe their style of play will be a surprise so a win and a draw here!

CYPRUS:-
    Crap, 2 wins for us

FAROE ISLAND:-
    Crap, 2 wins for us

26 points that amounts to , and id say thats a tally that would guarentee top spot in any group .

Although it is a possibility that we could get 2 wins aginst the French .
    I expect the group to finnish as follows :

1.Ireland
    2.France
    3.Israel(they're downfall , losing points away from home against 2 of the 3 weaker sides )
    4.Switzerland
    5.Cyprus
    6.Faroe Islands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Harry2001
    the Swiss are very ordinary (forget Euro 2004 qualifiers)

That's not a problem for Irish supporters. The majority have been doing just that from the very second we were drawn again against the Swiss. Some even write off France too like they're a bunch of over the hill chumps. :rolleyes:

Not looking forward to it but I think a few of these 'heads in the clouds'/'Kerr is god' fans may be getting get a rude awaking when the Autumn finally rolls around. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep agree with you there Pigman. I think its a bit rich for people to be writing off two teams that made it to Euro 2004 when we didn't.

I hope to god we do beat them but France still have far more talented and skillfull players than Ireland, what they were missing was a sense of urgency and a team spirit. If this new manager is any good he should be able to sort that out, hopefully not in time for the 1st game against them in October.

The Swiss on paper we should have overtaken to get to Euro 2004, we didn't. Again on paper we should overturn them again. I hope this time we actually do.

I love all this talk about Ireland being worldbeaters based on a few good friendly results. The only way we become Worldbeaters is by actually qualifying on a regular basis and dare I say it actually winning something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by Big Ears
    26 points that amounts to , and id say thats a tally that would guarentee top spot in any group .

Although it is a possibility that we could get 2 wins aginst the French .
    I expect the group to finnish as follows :

1.Ireland
    2.France
    3.Israel(they're downfall , losing points away from home against 2 of the 3 weaker sides )
    4.Switzerland
    5.Cyprus
    6.Faroe Islands

I'm gonna have to disagree with you Big Ears, I think it'll be

1> France
    2> Ireland (please please please!!!!)
    3> Swiss
    4> Israel
    5> Cyrpus
    6 > Faroes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I can see Israel finishing better than the Swiss. Just my POV :)

Advertisement