Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network card vs USB connection for IOL BB

• 15-07-2004 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello

I'm waiting for the IOL BB connection to be made, and copped that the modem will be either USB or 10baseT.

I've a ole 10/100 NIC knocking around here somewhere, and my USB ports are used up by my mouse, and swapping the digicam and the mobile phone interface cable.

So I'm askin'...

Are there pressing reasons for or against connecting to your high-speed modem using the network card VS the usb port..?

I'd prefer to use the NIC, but not if it'll cause more problems than getting down on the floor swapping the usb cables about...

Thanks for any advice,

- Bishop

[ps I tried to search the forum for usb vs NIC etc. but the search program won't accept 'usb'... too short]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

use the NIC, if you have a 10/100 card your speed will be fine i tried using mine on usb just to see and its more hassle than its worth, in a purist environment usb routers wouldn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

Thanks for the advice TL... now to dig out that NIC driver disk...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i might be mad but id swear that since the 10/100 connection on my broadband died and i switched to the usb ive noticed slowness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

as far as i know, without digging out the manual the router supplied with iol bb is only usb 1 compatible hence the reduction in speed from a possible 100mbps to a maximum of 12 mbps with usb, i know the bb connection is not 100mbps but all the throughput you can utilise counts, and i believe there is more overhead with the usb connection........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think (but could and probably am wrong) that the modem is USB 2 compatible as well, regardless I always prefer the ethernet connection, it is faster and more reliable than the usb connection, I would only use the usb connection if I didn't have an ethernet option... just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Thumper Long
    as far as i know, without digging out the manual the router supplied with iol bb is only usb 1 compatible hence the reduction in speed from a possible 100mbps to a maximum of 12 mbps with usb, i know the bb connection is not 100mbps but all the throughput you can utilise counts, and i believe there is more overhead with the usb connection........
    IOL have been supplying a dual ethernet/USB device since late last year.

This information has been posted to boards literally hundreds of times since then.

UTV are the only major DSL provider that don't provide a dual USB/Ethernet device.

(IBB's Ripwave is supplied "either/or". One of the most important issues in this day and age is that customers of UTV and IBB will be at the mercy of various internet worms that exploit known security wholes in Windows, whereas users with routers that do NAT by default have a basic level of protection from that particular type of internet hassle).

Advertisement