Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stress/strain/tension problem

• 15-07-2004 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

My physics is gone so bad.......I suppose thats what happens when you do use it

anyway I have a problem and don't know quite how to solve it. Or even where to look.

Image a Pole/Stake with a With a wire being pulled horizontaly from it, witha tension of 1kN. What exactly would the forces be exerted on the pole (for strenght porposes) and what kind of support would be needed to hole the pole behind the wire?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Bullockshaver

Is the pole being held horizontal or vertical? Remember for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction so you could just attach another wire acting in opposite direction with equal force???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

That much i know. But what I want to do is do some calulations. What i want to know is what force will be acting on the pole (in a downwards direction) and what force will be needed to hold the pole in place i.e stayed, when the wire is pulled to a certain tension in a horozontal direction.

I know there are a lot of other factor to take into consideration (pole strength, ground foundation, wind etc) but I just lookinf to start off with some general calculations.

It got to do witha discussion I had at work witha colleague. He seems to tlak the talk, but I just know they are spoofing, and I'd just like to stick to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Bullockshaver

If the force or tension acting is purely horizontal then there will be zero force acting downwards a force can only be broken down into horizontal and vertical vectors when the force acts at an angle to the pole. If you were to attach a stay wire at an angle at opposite side of pole at for example 45degrees then you would need it to be of magnitude root2 times opposite tension because sin 45 is 1overroot2. This would be slightly different if pole was being held in a structure in the ground then the limiting force so to speak of the support would need to be accounted for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The pulling force will have a moment from the bottom of the pole, given by M = Fd, where F is the pulling force and d is the vertical distance between the horizontal force and the ground.

Reaction forces in the earth will have to balance this moment, otherwise the pole topples.

Advertisement