Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

console controllers [gamecube][ xbox] [ps2] which is the best

Options
  • 15-07-2004 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,330 ✭✭✭✭

just wanted to know which gaming company have the best controller

i have a xbox,ps2 & gamecube

i love each console to bits but my xbox controller i think is the best it fits into my hand perfect even on a hot day and your hands are sweating after work it doesnt effect the controller i think any way its easy to use i cant say anything else

well done mircosoft
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Gamecube > Eggbox > PeaMess 2

the xbox one is definitely nice once you get used to it. don't like the positioning of the black & white buttons though.
    the PS joypads are just plain ****; they cramp my hands after a couple of hours use and the analogue sticks are painful to use.

Gamecube would be perfect if it weren't for the uncomfortable d-pad (mortal kombat had the potential of being great drunken fun... :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 54,330 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i fine the gamecube controller get fair sweaty after a period of gaming like after hour

Originally posted by snoopdog
    i fine the gamecube controller get fair sweaty after a period of gaming like after hour
    perhaps that's because gamecube games are actually exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The Xbox's Controller-S is definetly my favourite, while the fat version is possibly the worst first-party console controller ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cube > Xbox S > PS2 > Xbox biggy.
    I'm a girl. With little hands. The Cube controller fits like a dream. And it suits perfectly all the games I want to play. *cough*metroid*cough* The PS2 controller is just rotten. Playing the Burnout 3 demo at lunchtime the other day, just thinking how much I wanted to be using my GC controller for that. If they swapped the left analogue stick with the D-pad it would be a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i love the gamcube controller over all others, my only qualm about it is the 'Z' button, especially in bloody roar, i always go hyper beasty by accident :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ps2 defo!!! fits nice and snug in the hands easy reachable buttons while the xbox & Game cube looks like they where made by fischer price to big and akward

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I liked the PS1 joypad, but wtf were they thinking with the anologue stick position, its just....shamefully uncomfortable.

Love GC joypads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I liked the xbox controller for fps games like halo but for something like beat em ups it's useless.

The d-pad is too small for the gamecube controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The gamecube controller is by far the best. It's perfect for any type of 3d game. Great button positioning ang very comfortable to use. Only problems are that the d-pad is a little small and the vibration is a little too weedy.

Next would be the s-controller for xbox. Its the right size, quite comfortable and has a teeth shattering vibration. Only problems are the white and black buttons are in awkward positions and it isn't as comfy as the gamecube contoller

Next for me is the PS2 controller. The PS controller design was always terrible. Terrible button placement, swapping button functions from the fantastic snes configuration. Its too samll and feels horrible to hold. It does however have an awful lot of buttons and since I've been using it for the last few yearsi've gotten a bit more used to it. Vibration function is terribly weedy.

Second last is the fat fatbox controller. An absolute disgrace of a controller. I have big hands but this controller just felt all wrong.

Last for me is the sega mega drive 3-button controller. An absolute chore to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The PS2 controller.
    Mainly because it's quite like the SNES controller and so I find it the most natural. Although, it's the one I'm most used to so I'm slightly biased.

The Gamecube I find awkward, probably because I'm not that used to it, the buttons just seem to be all over the place.

XBOX, well I've only very briefly used the big fat controller, not long enough to have an informed opinion on it, but I didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ps2 for me. Just most comofiotable. X-box one is ok tho (the smaller ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nothing beats keyboard and mouse combo

but other than that i like the gamecube pad and the x-box big pad.

they screwed up the small pad with changing the placement of the black and white buttons

The keyboard and mouse are good for fps and strategy, but for everything else they're pretty annoying, especially platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Last for me is the sega mega drive 3-button controller. An absolute chore to use.

The 6 button pad that came out is one of my faves. Fantastic d-pad in my opinion.

Analogue triggers on the Dreamcast pad are great for driving games too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'd have to say xbox controller s, mainly because i use it more than the others. The black and white buttons are hard to reach, tho, I often forget all about them, which is a pain in some games.

gamecube is ok for some games (despite never playing it before I could use the GC pad on Red Faction 2 with ease, but the same for Enter the Matrix and I was totally screwed).

ps2 gets more uncomfortable the longer i use others, to hold it the way your supposed to (with fingers aross the shoulder buttons) is very hard to get used to... xbox and gc do a great job on shoulder buttons, tho.

flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    xbox and gc do a great job on shoulder buttons, tho.
    flogen
    Yeah, the thing I really liked about the xbox standard controller were the trigger style shoulder buttons, these were terrific for fps. It felt really realistic using them in halo, one of these buttons being used as the trigger for your different weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by tman
    perhaps that's because gamecube games are actually exciting?

Zing!
    Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    The PS controller design was always terrible. Terrible button placement, swapping button functions from the fantastic snes configuration.

That's crap, the original PS controller was the natural progression for SNES-style controls. More comfortable to hold, two extra buttons. Winnar. It was only when they started bolting on analogue sticks where they weren't welcome that they became hard to use.

I still don't like the button placement of the GC, after all this time. The whole one big button with three satellite buttons thing doesn't do it for me at all. Bring back the classic four. And what the jaysus was the idea of the Z-button? They should either have not bothered or should have put two of them on, preferably analogue.

Past fond memories for me are the N64 pad (despite its practically redundant left prong) and the DC pad's analogue triggers and superior joystick. And, of course, the classic NES pad. We didn't need any of this curvy analogue nonsense back in them days.

i think the xbox controller is the best for fps games like halo and hopefully halo 2
    also think its great with the game ninja gaiden[ class game]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I like the small xbox controller but i can't stand where the black and white buttons are on either of the controllers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

1. Gamecube - best controller ive used
    2. PS2
    3. Sidewinder for PC - the 10 button gameport version (not a console i know - it is a good joypad though)
    4. Xbox S - as some people mentioned - the white and black are awkward
    5. Xbox L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For me it is the Controller-S for XBox and to think Microsoft were not going to release the controller outside of Japan... I have one of the orginal biggies and they are absolutlely appalling.

The GC controller is okayish. I agreewith previous posters that the one big A-button is not such a good idea. Similarly the z-button is a complete waste, hard to reach and as it is not used in that many games, you forget about it.

The PS2 controller was a complete cop-out by Sony when they developed the PS2. Like how imaginitive is it to use the exact same controller but paint it black. Oh yeah and persisting with the moneymaking scam that is a mutitap...purlease...

Quake III on Dreamcast was next to impossible with the controller as there was no second analog stick. Big boo-boo. Otherwise a fine comfortable controller and probably my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I think the gamecube controller is the best.

Very natural fit, even after a long time playing,!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Couldnt use anything except my big Xbox Controller anymore. Cant use the little ones at all. I think its just my brain got used to the big one and it feels comfy now. Its nice to be different and like it. My only problem is getting a new one because my current one is getting a bit worn out. Anywhere still sellin controller L's?

Never used a gamecube so cant comment. Might buy one of these for those Legend of Zelda games alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like the Game Cube controller because of the irregular shaped buttons... I'm no good at remembering which button is which, but with the Game Cube's different shapes it's easy. And also the fact that it uses letters to identify the buttons...

That triangle, circle, square, X thing has never worked with my brain, I'm always hitting the wrong buttons on the PS2...

I can't say anything about the Xbox... as I don't have one...

I liked the Dreamcast one.. but if you had it loaded with a VMU and a rumble pack it was pretty heavy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's crap, the original PS controller was the natural progression for SNES-style controls

I meant the swapping of the functions of the x and o buttons. x is now select and o is now cancel. Only Konami still use this layout.

Have to say the best console controller for fps games was the N64 controller. The z button was really well placed. In Goldeneye it felt like you were pulling the trigger of a gun.

is there different kind of gamecube controllers can you get or is it just one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There are some third party ones that are slightly bigger and more awkward than the Nintendo ones...

Otherwise there is only the Wavebird, the wireless controller with no rumble feature....

you can also get the wavebird which is a slightly bulkier, wireless model. (afaik, it's the worlds first ever first party wireless controller)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The best digital pads ever made were the Saturn or Mega Drive 6-button controllers.

Nobody has made a good analogue pad yet. The PS2's analogue sticks are ****, and poorly placed. The Dreamcast pad gives me awful cramps, especially in racing games where you have to use the triggers. The Xbox standard pad is a mess on every level. Trying to play Rocky with rounded buttons is hell. The Gamecube pad is quite good. I don't think much of the d-pad or facebutton layout though.

Retrogamer.. make a three criticisms about Nintendo. Go on, I dare you. :rolleyes:

Advertisement