Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay 2nd Chance Scamola???

• 15-07-2004 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Got this mail shortly after losing an ebay auction, and think it looks a bit dodgy. What think you?? Note the references to ebay.com instead of ebay.co.uk and also I dont trust the email addy.

Tried a traceroute on the following the in the email header :

from [82.77.204.227] (helo=c8) by hub03.mail.esat.net with esmtp (Exim 3.36 #4)

and noticed it disappears off to romania.... the whois on that IP doesnt look ebay related either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Had to edit jpeg... sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

you were right it is dodgy
    as far as i know,
    PayPal states that their authentic emails always address you either by your name or by the User ID associated with your account and that the majority of spoof emails use the generic "Dear eBay User" or "Dear eBay Member" instead:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Definitely fake. I've been trading on ebay for 2 years and i've sent and received 2nd chance offers and they DONT look anything like that.

Report it to ebay.

okeydoke - reported to ebay.

cheers folks

One puzzle - How did they get my email though? afaik there's no way to view an ebay user's email is there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What was the user's eBay id? If he/she had low feedback then it's most definitely a scam.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm the user selling the item is the only one who would have access to my email right?? Unless his account or ebay was hacked??

They looked legit - loads of sales and good feedback. Most of the items were silly little things tho....

The user is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That's strange, maybe you should e-mail the seller and ask him what's up with the phony second chance offer? I'd think it really strange for someone to build up all that feedback only to ruin it making a quick buck.

<edit> Doh! Just read the bit about the traceroute going to Romania, it's almost certainly a scam so.

Got an email today confirming its a con. Feel sorry for any Ebay noobs who would fall for that, pretty cunning.

Have ya noticed all the scammers and link sellers seem to lurk on Vaio Laptop auctions?

On a related note - how can Ebay permit those link auctions - they are just there to con the gullible.

Quote from follow up from ebay today...

"We have recently cancelled listings for 'pinkbungalow' as we investigate the possibility that an unauthorized
    person has compromised this user’s account. Such an unauthorized person may have posed as 'pinkbungalow' without
    the knowledge or authorization of 'pinkbungalow'. The legitimate account user will be notified about this possible
    compromise."

Looks like it was a legit account that got hacked. Glad I reported it now, the hope the poor bugger didnt have his credit card detail in there.

Make's ya wonder how secure their accounts are though doesnt it......?

Advertisement