Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped remotes for region free DVD?

Options
  • 15-07-2004 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Has anyone used a chipped remote to make their DVD player region free? How'd it go and where'd you get it? I'm looking at this crowd:
    http://www.panasoniccodes.com/
    for one. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Chipped remotes, never heard of them before.
    Do you really need to rent a chipped remote though when so many other things can be used to make a dvd player region free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Like what? I've only just started to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

check out this link on dvdrhelp http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?dvdplayer=panasonic
    . if your model is not there or elsewhere with free hack
    u should buy a cheap multiregion dvd player in dunnes stores rather than giving money for that scam.

Laptops, PDAs, regular remotes.

I unlocked one of mine using a universal remote, and I unlocked the other by upgrading the firmware and then remote hacking it with the remote that came with it.

I assume the best thing is a remote code then. But I need to find it. It's a Panasonic DMR-E50, if anyone knows more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just a lateral topic change - what is the legal implication of doing this? Is there a law that can be invoked against someone who "chips" or alters there player to remove region coding ?

Just curious !!

ZEN

I'm guessing the act of disabling region settings for your own personal DVD player, which can be done routinely by a service technician, is not contravening any law of this country.

By chipping it all you do is invalidate the warranty.
    There are no legal implications because you haven't broken any laws.
    There's nothing to stop you using other region dvds on your equipment. Region encoding is just a pain in the ass. It's only there because dvds are released at different times, such as in the America, where something might be out on dvd there before it reaches the cinema here.

On the other hand, afaik a shop can not sell dvds from regions other than the one it's in. That's why play had to make a new website to sell region 1 dvds I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the only thing that breaks a law afaik would be a shop selling dvd's from another region, especially if they havent been released on R2 yet. What you do with your own player is up to you, after all, shops openly sell multi-region machines without any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

multi region dvd players are perfectly legal, and the majority of manufacturers are starting to produce MR players, with the exception of Sony who have just released a new range of DVD players that seem no longer to be hackable via remote, ie they will have to be hardware hacked. (sony and their feeble attempts at world domination). shops here can also sell multiregion DVD's (R1, R3 etc) so long as they have paid import duty on them first, this then coupled with the Irish rip off vat and excise duty's makes it unviable, so instead of irish comp[anies using their heads and getting together to solve this problem, the majority of us that have an ability to wield a mouse will continue to use the internet.

its embarassing to think you can buy a dvd from the far side of the world have it shipped to here and still be quids in on the rip off ireland price.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

try this

PUT THE REMOTE TO DVD MODE, HOLD THE POWER ON KEY FOR MORE THAN 4 SECS AND PUNCH IN THE DESIRED REGION CODE.

hope that works for ya....

Thanks. I need a region code though. I think it exist for my player, but only in the hands of those who'd like to sell it. I want it for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Travis Bickle

I'm in the business now,of looking for a system.
    Unfort,multiregion is a killer for me too.Half my collection is region 1.

Some sites advertise multiregion goods(the same goods are just region 2 in others).
    Techtronics for example,if you want to buy a new system and cash in on the old one.

Multi hacks are a nuisance,because i have no laptop...and the dvd players i am interested in have no codes directly from a remote.

As you say,a couple fo sites sell the codes...but at maybe 60-70 euro a go.
    You're not going to get it for free..if the codes aren't listed on dvd hacks site or dvdr help forum etc..

Best bet,get a buddys laptop or whatever and ask him a favour...Follow the steps(from the hacking site)...if your model has some code.
    Then its basically free to get.

If there aren't any codes online for your model,then ya're rather stuck.

TECHTRONICS will upgrade it to multiregion..collect and drop off within a week...Try them for 60 euro,if u have to.

Advertisement