Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB loopback test failure problem

• 15-07-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I signed up for IOL BB and had no problems for the first 10 days then.... I just couldn't conect. Went into the modem setup and the ran the Wizard. When I run the diagnostics it fails the "Test ADSL(ATM OAM) loopback test".

Rang IOL tech support numerous times and they claim several line tests have been done but still no luck connecting. This has been going on for two weeks now.

Does any one know what the loopback test failure points to? Is it a faulty line or faulty modem? IOL don't/won't seem to be able to tell us.

Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nosferatu

Most loopback tests try and identify faults between two locations by sending a signal, or packets to the destination, and seeing if whatever you send out comes back to you. If it comes back then it passes, if it does not it fails.

Your loopback test is from yor modem to some other point, probably the DSLAM if it is ATM, and all it's telling you is that somewhere between your modem and the DSLAM there is a fault. The fault could be anywhere from your modem, to the cable plugged into your wall, the wall socket, or anywhere between there and the exchange.

You need to get onto IOL and find out what if anything is being done to resolve this problem! it's not much good them telling you it's failed several line tests, surely they can't just keep testing in the hope that it mysteriously comes back??! It's obvious something is wrong, and failing a line test isn't going to get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 repoman_666

What's DSLAM mean?

It hasn't failed any of the line tests yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unkle

could be a line fault, if that comes back all clear then it's a problem with authentication due to a username/password problem.
    if you call support again see if they can see your failed connection attempts, if they can't, see if they can see your failed connection attempts using a generic username. e.g yourname1@iolbb
    in the end of the day changing the username might sort out your connection issue.
    u could always try and see if you can connect on the eircom network by entering your username as eircom and password as broadband1
    if you can connect on the eircom network then your line setup is fine and its an account username/password issue at Esat BTs end.
    could also be a fauly router, have you tried to reset the router.
    Loopback test will fail every time if VCI/VPI settings are set incorrectly they should be 8/35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

i had same problem a while after i got my IOL BB aswell, just power off your pc then reset the modem and put in all your details again, worked for me, have had no other probs except for bad ping issues(see reply in IOL are a disgrace)

Advertisement