Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ba V's Bsc

• 15-07-2004 10:50pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does it really make a difference which one you have?

As in a Bsc v's a Ba in computer science or psychology.
    which are science subjects but done also through arts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

I'm doing a course which is a B.Sc but should be a b.a, dont understand the reasoning behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Might be a social science, wha?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

should be a Ba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think it makes much difference to be honest

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I've been offered Beng in software engineering a BSc in them.

The Beng leads to me being a recognised engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

no its government, a b.sc in the commerce faculty, it really should be a b.a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As in a Bsc v's a Ba in computer science or psychology.
    which are science subjects but done also through arts

Not sure about Psychology but no doubt a B.A. in Computer Science would be far less respected than a Bsc in Computer Science.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Those Trinity graduates with their BAs will be gutted to hear you say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Originally posted by Stark
    Not sure about Psychology but no doubt a B.A. in Computer Science would be far less respected than a Bsc in Computer Science.

I agree, there seems to be a trend against BA, to the extent of making many degrees BSc, which looks better.

For example imagine a subject called "Politics" it would now be called "Political Science" to fit into a BSc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

In psychology it doesn't matter as long as the course is accredited by a body like the British psychological society, and I think all Bsc's are.

As someone has said, TCD's comp sci degree is a BA and it's very good, while UCD's BA compsci is apparently *crap*.

Sure you can even do a BA in Maths now, which makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

You'll probably find that you could have done that BA in Maths 400 years ago and those very same institutions look down upon the BSc. I wouldn't go getting hung up on the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

As far as I know - you could always do a BA in maths.
    I did a BSc in Maths. In a lot of my optional courses, the BA Maths studients were there. Some of my core subjects were shared with the BA studients - but their exams weren't to the same level as ours. It appeared to me that the BA was slightly easier.

BSc looks better on paper, from an employers point of view.

You don't mention which institution that was. Many institutions offer both a BA and a BSc in maths but which one is considered tougher isn't a constant.

Advertisement