Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury_Tilt - Sectarian Racist?

Options
  • 15-07-2004 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I just noticed that there is a user, in fact a moderator with a name 'Mercury_Tilt' and a signature which makes reference to Sinn Fein. Each of these facts on their own should make no difference to anybody. However, combined they paint a very diferent picture.

For anybody that doesn't know, a mercury tilt is a device which can, when used as the IRA used it in the seventies, be a very effective detonator. These allowed the IRA to plant bombs primarily in the cars of Prisoner Officers from the Long Kesh prison. Mercury Tilts are responsible for the deaths of innumerable Unionist,Loyalist and Nationalist standers by in Nothern Ireland.

Mercury Tilt's were also used for electricity meters and other such innocent devices,so in itself it could be just an electrician geek name. However, when it is combined with a Sinn Fein slogan and link,given their undeniable links throughout the lastcentury, in particular during the period when Mercury Tilt's were in use ,this becomes very offensive.

Also in a forum regarding the KKK, Mercury_Tilt has made sectarian and racist remarks towards me.

I feel this user should be banned or forced to change his name.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by In_Diana_Jones
    Hi,

I just noticed that there is a user, in fact a moderator with a name 'Mercury_Tilt' and a signature which makes reference to Sinn Fein. Each of these facts on their own should make no difference to anybody. However, combined they paint a very diferent picture.

For anybody that doesn't know, a mercury tilt is a device which can, when used as the IRA used it in the seventies, be a very effective detonator. These allowed the IRA to plant bombs primarily in the cars of Prisoner Officers from the Long Kesh prison. Mercury Tilts are responsible for the deaths of innumerable Unionist,Loyalist and Nationalist standers by in Nothern Ireland.

Mercury Tilt's were also used for electricity meters and other such innocent devices,so in itself it could be just an electrician geek name. However, when it is combined with a Sinn Fein slogan and link,given their undeniable links throughout the lastcentury, in particular during the period when Mercury Tilt's were in use ,this becomes very offensive.
    Interesting. I did not know that. I thought that Mercury_Tilt was just a name chosen from a random jumble of letters. A bit like Merc's brain tbh :p
    Also in a forum regarding the KKK, Mercury_Tilt has made sectarian and racist remarks towards me.
    Quote them. I fail to see any rascist or otherwise abusive remarks made towards you.
    People are free to call themselves whatever they want. Judge a man by his conduct, not by his name. If it offends you, tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭In_Diana_Jones

Originally posted by seamus
    Interesting. I did not know that. I thought that Mercury_Tilt was just a name chosen from a random jumble of letters. A bit like Merc's brain tbh :p

Quote them. I fail to see any rascist or otherwise abusive remarks made towards you.

People are free to call themselves whatever they want. Judge a man by his conduct, not by his name. If it offends you, tough.

He's edited his post which asked if i was a hun or nig nog now! Ah well...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Where ?

Just for pig-iron I did a search and I could only see one contribution by you in a KKK-related thread and there was nothing offensive,sectarian or racist in the unedited reply by mercury_tilt

Not that I really care one way or the other but tbh I don't find the name intrinsically offensive.. unlike (for example) royal_black_precept or appre_boy or be_special or miami_bands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I find your name disrespectful to Diana Jones.

I feel you should be banned or forced to change your name.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I find your name disrespectful to Diana Jones.

I feel you should be banned or forced to change your name.

I was just waiting for that...my biatches real name...and she's happy with it!
    :dunno:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by parsi
    Where ?

Just for pig-iron I did a search and I could only see one contribution by you in a KKK-related thread and there was nothing offensive,sectarian or racist in the unedited reply by mercury_tilt

Not that I really care one way or the other but tbh I don't find the name intrinsically offensive.. unlike (for example) royal_black_precept or appre_boy or be_special or miami_bands

The only one i'd find offensive from the above is be_special to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was just waiting for that...my biatches real name...and she's happy with it!
    :dunno:

I resent your use of the word "biatches", it is sexist and ignorant.

I demand you be banned with immeadiate effect.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I resent your use of the word "biatches", it is sexist and ignorant.

I demand you be banned with immeadiate effect.

I find your lack of understanding this term of endearment amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I find your lack of understanding this term of endearment amusing!

I'm glad I amuse you.

Hopefully you'll find it amusing if I ask you are you a hun or a nig nog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Mercie is a long time and well respected member of this board. I have never seen him being sectarian or encouraging people to make bombs. So what if he supports Sinn Fein i'm sure many here do. I think your making an issue out of nothing and since you have only joined may i suggest that you get to know boards and it's quirky humour before making accusations at other members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

MERC TILT SHEZ NOE!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

blah blah blah

In_diana_jones, why are you constantly following jesus_thats_gre around with stupid comments when you're obviously posting from the same IP as that user constantly. Have you considered saying these things face to face and sparing us?

thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement