Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processes? Processes? Processes?

Options
  • 16-07-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

iS THERE ANY WAY THAT i CAN FIND OUT WHY THE PROCESSES ON MY COMPUTER ARE RUNNING AND WHAT THEY ARE CURRENTLY DOING.i FOUND ONE THAT KEPT CALLING TO A DISCONNECTED PRINTER AND CAUSING MY INTERNET CONNECTION TO FAIL. i FOUND THIS BY A HIT AND MISS PROCESS. SO i WOULD REALLY LIKE TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS AN EASIER WAY. Sorry about the caps lock I cant type so didnt realise it was on until I had fininshed writing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

may be of help to you

www.blackviper.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

from a command prompt type

tasklist -m

that'll list each process, and it's loaded modules. From here you can identify what apps are running in each process.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

procexp - lists graphically

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patoinsf

I tried to run task-m from a command prompt but it wasen't reconized black viper is a dark place i dont want to be, the rest of the post's dont seem to answer the question i asked so if anyone DOES KNOW how to find out what the processes running are doing then please let me know. I am a TOTAL BEGINNER so I am probably reading the responce4s completely wrong. Have patience for you may need advice at some time in the future and always remember """in life the there are no mistakes only lessons"""

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could just press CTRL + ALT + DEL and click on task mananger and then on processes.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This gotta be a piss take...

I am definitely not taking the piss the following are a list of the processes running just before I went online.

Taskmgr, msmsgs, ctfmon, LVComS, ccApp, svchost, NOPDB, nvsvc32, NPROTECT, SPMSMON, jusched, NAVAPSVC, SAgent2, Directcd, alg, CCEVTMGR, spoolsv, svchost, svchost, lsass, services, winlogon, csrss, smss, explorer, System, System Idle Process

Some of them are self explanatory but most of them don’t make any sense. I am not doing anything on the computer at the moment so why are these processes all running for example why is direct cd running a process even though I haven’t used direct cd in weeks. And why are there three processes called svchost all of which are using different amounts of memory.
    This is the last post I'll make on this so if it is doing your head in just ignore it and it will go away
    Thanks

Just type the name of the process into google..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

you should get lavasoft spyware remover and Spybot search and destroy.

ctfmon - can be a spyware. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/ctfmon.exe.html

Also some processes may run a csrss to hide themselves.

Remember GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by patoinsf
    Some of them are self explanatory but most of them don’t make any sense. I am not doing anything on the computer at the moment so why are these processes all running for example why is direct cd running a process even though I haven’t used direct cd in weeks. And why are there three processes called svchost all of which are using different amounts of memory.

Some programs load into memory at boot time so that they will load quicker whenever you go to run them.

Many windows services do the same (eg. svchost)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\x>tasklist -m
    'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Stephen
    Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\x>tasklist -m
    'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

You get that a lot here. Apparently if you're not running XP you don't count. Best way around it is for the initial poster to state what OS they are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Originally posted by hostyle
    You get that a lot here. Apparently if you're not running XP you don't count. Best way around it is for the initial poster to state what OS they are running.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>tasklist -m
    'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

well it doesn't work in XP either but your right about giving a little more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Running XP - Home and Professional.

"tasklist -m" in the command prompt... works no bother.

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

why is direct cd running a process even though I haven’t used direct cd in weeks. And why are there three processes called svchost all of which are using different amounts of memory.

Hostyle is right, when you install programs they will auto load dll in to memory so there program will start faster.

You can get rid of these by clicking on run from the start menu and typing the following cmd msconfig
    Then click on the startup tab and then you have control over what loads itself into memory at start up.
    Good Luck

For clarification I am running XP Pro.
    Tasklist -m will not work for me from the command prompt.
    I ran cmd msconfig and got brought to the dos prompt so I tried it again with just msconfig and lo and behold I got to where I wanted to be.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE

Remember

IT'S NICE TO BE NICE

Remember

IT'S NICE TO BE NICE

I actually wanna hurt myself reading this sorta stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I ran cmd msconfig and got brought to the dos prompt so I tried it again with just msconfig and lo and behold I got to where I wanted to be.

The reson you got brought to the dos prompt is cos cmd is the command for it. in my solution cmd was short for command.

Advertisement